Why become a member? ×

DOD FX32 - Meatbox

Left Foot

So it's a sub harmonic animal, I have GAS for it.

A quick question for those lucky enough to own or have used the pedal. I have a 8 piece signal chain, where would I put it? Should I use it where I'd put a 'normal' octaver or should it go right at the end of the chain.

I ask this because 1: it can apparently brake amps if used incorrectly and 2: I wonder if the 30hz and 60hz boost it gives could be lost after going through other pedals etc.

Cheers for your response guys.

Ideally you put it last in chain and don't send it to your amp.

So use the parallel out and send that to your amp and the other to a di and a huge pa.

And to clarify it can break amps when used correctly also :D

If you want something more controllable but similar the Aguilar Octomizer is the best bet, it's what i'm buying and I've owned a Meatbox.

Hope this helps

Yup I've got a couple and working on a clone (headache)
Definitly use last in chain, it has a dry and wet out, dry out to your amp, wet out to DI/PA, as mentioned above :)
There are plenty of people who just use the wet out to their amp as normal, but I don't think I could relax in that situation, I'd be waiting for the big bang ;)

Good luck

Si

I ask because I picked one up last night. Makes my 10w practice amp sound like a beast!!! and far more punchy!

It only really worked at the beginning of the chain (tuner, octron, meatbox, bassmaster, unichorus) and seeing a few youtube vids, people have it before there octaver... could it damage other pedals or just the speakers? So are you saying go with PA system because the speakers can take it, or just that your more comfortable risking other people kit than your own? (not being righteous here just wanting to understand that PA thing)

Cheers guys, I love making noise but I have made a few costly mistakes before just being overly keen and not looking into what Im doing, thanks alot for input.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1366802636' post='2057511']
I ask because I picked one up last night. Makes my 10w practice amp sound like a beast!!! and far more punchy!

[/quote]

*face:palm*

The pedal puts out an octave lower boosted at 30hz........you won't hear that via a 100w practice amp let alone a 10w.
It shouldn't hurt pedals, it may make them spaz out in a good way, feeding them a LOT more lowend than your bass will, but it's speakers that often have issues.
Amps will need decent headroom to not clip

Si

Really, there was diffinitely a difference in sound and volume when it was active and I was getting a different response in terms of sound from adjusting the ,flank,steak and lbs controls. I feel a bit silly now...

I'll just have to wait until this evening to see what it really does then. ha.

yeah, you need something that can reproduce those low freqs, you wont get any of the OOMPH through that practice amp, but you'll probably hear some of the synthy tone it makes.

an awesome pedal, really excels through a massive PA

[size=8][b]SUB[/b][/size]

Through an Ashdown 350 MAG 210 it was still more or less the octive 'noise' / synth tones, which Im really impressed with. I didnt push it too much because of the volume/muddy spike past halfway.

Later a friend used it with a modular synth through the rooms PA and I definitely understand that difference now. I giggled feeling all the wahs.

So is this MeatBox a Octave pedal with added EQ boost or just a Subby Eq Boost

I love my Aguilar for Octave bass tones and if I want to get really dubby slamming on the EHX Knockout with the Low boost makes for Shits and Giggles times

Does the Meatbox essentially do the same in one pedal

The Aguilar Octamizer is essentially a modern equivalent to the Meatbox, it doesn't go as low frequency wise though. I don't think it has the character of the Meatbox, but some people prefer it's consistency, which is fair enough

Si