Why become a member? ×

Multi Effects

Stephen Ding

Hello,
I am looking to get some effects for my rig. Years ago I used an SGX Nightbass which at the time (15-20 years ago) seemed like one of the best around. I would hope things have moved on since then including things like tone print etc. I thought I would see if anyone had any opinions good or bad on current systems. I am really looking for a multi effect unit.
Any thoughts?

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1366634904' post='2055162']
I use a TC Electronics G-Major 2 which has all my compression, phase, flange, octaver, delay, reverb etc. No overdrive sounds though, which is ok for me as I dont need them.
[/quote]

Just got one of these myself, fantastic unit. I'm still treading a fine line trying to stop clipping it though :lol:

Hello,
I have had a look at all the units suggested and I am not so keen on the tc electronics or the line 6. I am a fan of their products as I use both makes aleady but they are aimed more at the guitarist than the bass. This may be an outdated opinion as spec wise they can handle the frequencies but it just feels like a compromise.
While looking at the boss unit I watched the vedio for the GT10B. It looks good.
Does any one have experience of this unit or want to tell me how I am missing the point with the other units?

The Line 6 M-series are aimed at both (apparently the product manager is a bassist) and have some bass-specific effects models as well as many that will suit fat or skinny strings.

If you have a look around here and other forums there's plenty of threads discussing their use on bass and some good suggestions of which patches work well.

I gig on guitar and bass and I'm looking at picking up an M9 as a quick grab'n'go for when I don't want to take my big guitar board out, and to cover the occasional requirement I'm having for bass effects now.

Although there's some great bass-specific options, I wouldn't write the M stuff off just because it caters to both.

Edited by mike257

I've recently been using the Line 6 M5 for practice/little gigs and am very impressed. Yeah, the distortion models could do with more bass-specific models, or a blend control, but on the whole, I haven't really found a bad sound in it.

I'm very much a pedalboard-full-of-single-pedals kinda guy, but the M13 is calling my name...

Think ultimately the answer is - Multi FX [i]AND[/i] lots of individual pedals...