Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

So my JH Audio Roxannes arrived at long last and I wasted no time in doing my first gig with them. All I can say is -woah, next level. So much headroom, bags of bass, mids and treble on tap. They are much warmer than the ACS - and as a consequence I found them less fatiguing. These things have to be as about as good as you can get. I really don't know how you could get better. Absolutely sublime. The top end is different to the ACS so I'm setting up a new profile for my monitor on the desk. I shall let you know how this journey goes.

Now, if only I could get the functionality of the live system into them... Haha.

We played The Jam House in Brum last night and it was the first gig in ages that we've done without IEMs.

Can't believe the difference in using "traditional" monitoring again. Our vocalists really struggled all night with the volume of the monitoring, felt so much less controlled and much harder to hear the band and the separation of individual instruments.

After 2 x 1hr sets, we call came off stage noticeably more tired and somewhat deafer. Made us all realise that since going fully IEM, it's made such an improvement to our performances and our enjoyment of gigging.

Haha Tony. It terrible without IEM now isn't it?

I did another gig on my new toys and found that switching on the 4dB HF boost on the radio receiver pack put me where I wanted to be. So alls splendid in this camp. Sounds amazing for listening to music and sounds amazing for live IEM use. All good!

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1398708638' post='2436832']
Of course they cost an astonishing amount of money but IMHO, worth every penny. Russ put it succinctly when he said it was like investing in a Bergantino cab for each ear and I truly get this view. It's totally changed my view of IEMs now, I'm seriously wondering whether or not the money I've got invested in my backline could be rationised to a small 1x12 with a micro head and a REALLY good DI such as an Avalon or Radial. In terms of what's behind me on stage, I don't really hear it anymore so it seems pointless in having all that
[/quote]

I know where you are coming from. One of the bands I am playing for use IEM's and I haven't used a backline for the past 8 gigs. All I take is my EBS Reidmar amp and run the DI parallel with my Radial Stage Bug. I can usually hide that kit somewhere on the stage. So, no backline visible whatsoever. My entire rig is pretty much useless for this band. I'm actually thinking about buying an EBS Microbass II and just use that on my pedalboard along with the Radial. Bass, pedalboard, bag full of leads....done! Can't think of a more portable

Great result, but surprisingly the guys are asking me to bring along a backline regardless. Purely for the visual factor. I do see their point as it does look a bit weird to have a small wall of amps stage right for the guitar players and almost nothing on my side. From the floor, it does look odd.

Once you get used to using IEM's you do wonder why you need a huge rig behind you, but it's not rock'n'roll, is it?

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1399404392' post='2443965']
I know where you are coming from. One of the bands I am playing for use IEM's and I haven't used a backline for the past 8 gigs. All I take is my EBS Reidmar amp and run the DI parallel with my Radial Stage Bug. I can usually hide that kit somewhere on the stage. So, no backline visible whatsoever. My entire rig is pretty much useless for this band. I'm actually thinking about buying an EBS Microbass II and just use that on my pedalboard along with the Radial. Bass, pedalboard, bag full of leads....done! Can't think of a more portable
[/quote]

The only plus point (audibly) from the other night (the gig and the crowd were amazing) was that I loved having that aggression back again off the EBS HD350 and the Berg. It's just a great tone, especially when I dig in and give it some with the Spector. I've said to Russ offline that if I could get the tone of the HD350/Berg/EMGs into my IEMs and out front, I'd be as happy as a canine with two appendages.

Want to have something that will give me the tone of an expensive mic in front of the Berg along with a top quality DI.

Ideas? Would investing in a Reidmar with a 1x12 Berg or 1x12 Proline and an expensive mic be the answer? Love the aggression/authority of a "amp" tone but want not the grief.

Kemper Tony???

You could profile your exact rig - amp and Berg. Theoretically, you'd get that exact sound in your ears in then... but without the actual onstage sound.

Edited by EBS_freak

Oooh they look nice. It's my turn to jump in with a question now, which I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

I'm looking for IEMs on a budget, on the basis that A. I don't have much money to spend, and B. I won't use them often, but I've got more dep gigs coming in where they're required (cabless bands, etc)

I'm a bit torn between ACS T15s and Shure 215s. I've used the Shures live before, and they seemed very good, but the 'moulded' fit wasn't all that moulded as it's obviously a universal fit, and they did become a tad uncomfortable, but I did like the sound of them. And they're quite cheap second hand. Now I've got a pair of ACS Pro17s on order which should be with me within the coming week, so the obvious choice would be the T15s as I know they fit in the moulds. What I'm wondering, is will any other driver such as the 215 / 315s be insertable into the plugs?

I don't believe that the 215/315s are insertable into the stock ACS moulds - I think tonyf has been there previously. For maximum capability, I would go for the T15s. They are all single drivers so the amount of headroom is not going to be staggering. They will sound good... and better than most off the shelf nears... Just don't expect thunderous bass.

Fair enough :) they're readily available so something to consider for the future. The plugs are more vital to me (especially after a dickhead sound engineer actually made our keys players ears bleed!). Cheers for the advice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, been using my ACS Pro 17' earplugs for a while on stage, when it occurred to me that i could just get a pair of headphones and insert them into the moulds, which work fantastic!

Now, I'm after a cheap IEM system, so I have the moulds and earphones, so I'm after just a pack and receiver i guess? Any recommendations, ideally something under £200?

i've used these a couple of times and got one quite well with them they're pretty good not a patch on the top of the range stuff (which i'd advise you to buy as you get what you pay for) however if £200 is your budget then this will get you started

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mei_1000_838_mhz.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mei_1000_838_mhz.htm[/url]

also anyone had issues with moulds moving about and losing seal when your singing backing vocals?

i've lived with triple driver moulds for about 9 months done various gigs on them (both as a bass player and an engineer) and had issues losing bass response when i'm singing backing vocals?

i've just gone to a pair of these [url="http://www.headphonix.co.uk/products/westone-4-r-series-quad-driver-premium-earphones"]http://www.headphonix.co.uk/products/westone-4-r-series-quad-driver-premium-earphones[/url]

and its a revelation completely cured the problem and sound better than my triple driver moulds, they reproduce my bass in a pleasing way and i'm noticing stuff in my reference tracks that i never did before. Has anyone else had a similar experience or am i just noticing the extra driver?

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1400007528' post='2449888']
Fair enough :) they're readily available so something to consider for the future. The plugs are more vital to me (especially after a dickhead sound engineer actually made our keys players ears bleed!). Cheers for the advice
[/quote]

Dave, I've got ACS moulds and T15s, and I had some 215s (before I lost them :rolleyes: ) - when you get your moulds, give me a shout.

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1400853611' post='2457583']
also anyone had issues with moulds moving about and losing seal when your singing backing vocals?

i've lived with triple driver moulds for about 9 months done various gigs on them (both as a bass player and an engineer) and had issues losing bass response when i'm singing backing vocals?

i've just gone to a pair of these [url="http://www.headphonix.co.uk/products/westone-4-r-series-quad-driver-premium-earphones"]http://www.headphoni...emium-earphones[/url]

and its a revelation completely cured the problem and sound better than my triple driver moulds, they reproduce my bass in a pleasing way and i'm noticing stuff in my reference tracks that i never did before. Has anyone else had a similar experience or am i just noticing the extra driver?
[/quote]

Are you talking about custom moulds on your triples? Or standard tips? If you are losing the seal whilst singing, the custom is not a good fit... If they are customs, did you have an open or closed mouth impression? If you are a singer, you should have had an open mouth impression. The second you lose the seal, you will lose your bass.

What you are probably experiencing this time round, is a combination of the better seal... and more headroom in your bass frequencies with the extra bottom driver. You will be able to push the bass more before the driver gives up.

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1400847720' post='2457484']
Hi guys, been using my ACS Pro 17' earplugs for a while on stage, when it occurred to me that i could just get a pair of headphones and insert them into the moulds, which work fantastic!

Now, I'm after a cheap IEM system, so I have the moulds and earphones, so I'm after just a pack and receiver i guess? Any recommendations, ideally something under £200?
[/quote]

Do you play your bass with a cable? If so, you could cable tie a monitor feed to you cable and T is off near you waste to either something like the Fischer in ear monitor pack and to your ear phones... Alternatively, you could send the amplified signal along the length of your bass cable and just plug in your headphones to that. Going to sound better and be cheaper than most options.

Been thinking about using a stereo balanced cable to carry mono bass and stereo IEM.
Would be neater if you were taking the feed from a pedalboard position but not essential.
Just add a sturdy mini jack socket about 15 centimetres from both ends of the cable tap into that.
Cheap and fairly mobile.

I've just had a cable made up by OBBM on here, which pairs a mono instrument cable with a stereo headphone feed, I'm going to use a headphone mixer/amp on my amp to control the mix of PA feed/direct bass signal. Will be using it at a gig on Sunday, I'll feedback the results.

I've gone for the wired solution because we lost two wireless units to simultaneous failure (one receiver, one transmitter) at the last gig, and I ended up with no in-ears at all. Pain in the arse/ears...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1400864872' post='2457744']
Are you talking about custom moulds on your triples? Or standard tips? If you are losing the seal whilst singing, the custom is not a good fit... If they are customs, did you have an open or closed mouth impression? If you are a singer, you should have had an open mouth impression. The second you lose the seal, you will lose your bass.

What you are probably experiencing this time round, is a combination of the better seal... and more headroom in your bass frequencies with the extra bottom driver. You will be able to push the bass more before the driver gives up.
[/quote]

yeh they're moulded triples mate has an open mouth casting as i knew i was going to be singing

and cool to be honest i'm not fussed i'll keep my triples for doing monitors for bands would just be nice to know what the difference is

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1400865038' post='2457746']
Do you play your bass with a cable? If so, you could cable tie a monitor feed to you cable and T is off near you waste to either something like the Fischer in ear monitor pack and to your ear phones... Alternatively, you could send the amplified signal along the length of your bass cable and just plug in your headphones to that. Going to sound better and be cheaper than most options.
[/quote]

Sorry can you explain that in lamen terms.

I do play with a cable yes.

Sorry :-)