Why become a member? ×

RADICAL RETHINK

bassbluestew

Guys, you are all stars................I'm pretty sure this ISN'T a gas attack, but when I look at those Sei's...........man they look good. The Status also looks gorgeous too.

Was gigging last night and messed around with my eq a bit - don't often get a chance to do that live, but I made the effort. On the StingRay I kept bass and treble flat ( centre indent ) , dropped the middle, but on the amp boosted the middle eq in a kinda reverse smile ( is that a frown then ?? ). This sounded good especially for Chic and funky type songs and I could hear myself much better too. Interestingly when I flattened the mid control on the bass ( which was boosting it to flat ) and lowering the eq setting, it just didn't sound the same although I thought it might. On thinking I suppose all the frequencies are different.

Next step will be new strings this week, with this new EQ setting.

Thanks so far.....................
Stewart

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='209995' date='May 31 2008, 09:16 AM']HeHe... I have the 2x10 Traveller cab on top of the mini 15 combo... My drummer's wife says it looks like "Monkeee!"

[/quote]

I know this is a completely unrelated point to this thread but I have the same set-up but with the Jeff Berlin combo, and it is ace but I will now be unable to shake off the monkey thing...it is a poweful image. Just out of interest what settings do go for on the eq?

Sorry for the interuption to this otherwise great thread?

Firstly, the sound(s) I am after ( there are two main types of sound ) are
1. a piano like tone, sounds nice and bassy in the mix, but on it's own has a lot of top end to help it cut through.

A L E M B I C

That is exactly what my alembic bass has. Not a cheap option tho :)

[quote name='muzzer' post='213168' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:08 PM']+1 for the D'Addario Pro Steel strings, have a set on my Jazzenstein and they DO sound like a piano :)
Depending on what pickups you use of course. I'm sure the Wizards on mine help.[/quote]

Agreed, I have pretty standard EMG's in mine and I'm seriously thinking about swapping them for bart's - how sweet would it sound!!!

Obviously part of the problem is that the whole "chain" has an effect on the final sound.

As an example my previous Modulus VJ didn't sound quite right with the new MarBass 1x12 combo I've just bought but sounded great through an EBS Drome. Meanwhile I've now picked up a Lakland JO with a maple neck that just seems to suit the Mark really well. And I'm comparing the VJ with brand new bright strings against the JO with older half rounds.

I must admit, that from what I've heard, EBS gear has a lovely "pure" sound that might fit the bill so if you're after a combo then the Gorm Neo would be a definite audition option. I haven't played a redhead but I owned a nice SM400 for a while that managed to ahve a nice clean tone as well as the option to rock out a bit more when pushed.

Of course - part of the real difference is your good old fingers. I know mine will never sound like Bernard Edwards however hard I try :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='markyboy2106' post='213092' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:05 PM']I know this is a completely unrelated point to this thread but I have the same set-up but with the Jeff Berlin combo, and it is ace but I will now be unable to shake off the monkey thing...it is a poweful image. Just out of interest what settings do go for on the eq?

Sorry for the interuption to this otherwise great thread?[/quote]

If it helps, I run jeff berlin combo with an ashdown 1x15 (so 2x15) on a flat EQ with 20% VLE filter on and plenty of volume lol