Why become a member? ×

'74/'75 Fender Jazz, thoughts?

Any thoughts! [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fender-Jazz-Bass-1974-or-early-1975-4-bolt-/221214339936?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item338166f360&autorefresh=true"]http://www.ebay.co.u...utorefresh=true[/url]

Edited by jimbobothy

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]"[i]The action is medium to highish at the moment because I like it that way, but I'm sure with a good set up it could be a lot lower. There's a little fret buzz around the 7th position; again, a good set up might benefit it. Never bothered me though![/i]"[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]I would be pretty concerned about those three sentences.[/color][/font][/size]

It's likely to need a refret, but a buzzing string on the 7th fret isn't a deal breaker. As with anything like this, it's always much better to go out and see the instrument rather than relying upon someone's judgement that, from what he says, illustrate a fairly small knowledge of vintage Fenders. Check the movement of the truss rod, check the fret condition, check for obvious bowing and/or warping and walk away if you're not confident in it.

It's on eBay, so checking is only an option if you're in London, and in the right part of London too. Big place, London.

He has feedback of just 30; I haven't bothered to check what for.

If it's buzzing when played at the 7th fret, despite having a high action already, IME it will either have a neck like a banana or a heel like a Harrier take-off ramp.

Either of those (if true, of course) would imply an expensive mistake waiting to be made.

Just my tupp'orth, mind.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1366240575' post='2050139'] Looks like the real deal. The real bidders will be holding out for a last minute plunge. I reckon it will go for £1500 or thereabouts. [/quote]
I tend to agree, although it sounds like it needs a setup and fret work.
One thing I don't understand though......The seller say's that there is no neck stamp? yet he hasn't checked the pots or pick ups because he don't want to take it apart it sounds great the way it is. So how does he know the neck has no stamp? just curious.
It's not as in good nick as my 1974! ;)

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1366397473' post='2052158']

I tend to agree, although it sounds like it needs a setup and fret work.
One thing I don't understand though......The seller say's that there is no neck stamp? yet he hasn't checked the pots or pick ups because he don't want to take it apart it sounds great the way it is. So how does he know the neck has no stamp? just curious.
It's not as in good nick as my 1974! ;)
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1366384758' post='2051940']
It's on eBay, so checking is only an option if you're in London, and in the right part of London too. Big place, London.

He has feedback of just 30; I haven't bothered to check what for.

If it's buzzing when played at the 7th fret, despite having a high action already, IME it will either have a neck like a banana or a heel like a Harrier take-off ramp.

Either of those (if true, of course) would imply an expensive mistake waiting to be made.

Just my tupp'orth, mind.
[/quote]

It's a strange business the world at the moment. With something like a vintage guitar I'd be loathe to part with almost £2,000 of my money without seeing a guitar. Indeed, London is a big place but there's buses, trains, the tube and much more to help you get there (all funded by the Great British tax-payer).

When I used to trade in vintage basses (I've had a large number of these) I'd always make the effort to get to meet the seller somehow. Often, if only for some history on the guitar...

As for the buzzing, again it's something you just need to see for yourself - there could be a number of reasons - it's pretty obvious the guy didn't know much about guitars really.

I hope whoever paid £1850 for it is happy with the guitar.

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1366619761' post='2054822']
It's a strange business the world at the moment. With something like a vintage guitar I'd be loathe to part with almost £2,000 of my money without seeing a guitar. Indeed, London is a big place but there's buses, trains, the tube and much more to help you get there (all funded by the Great British tax-payer).

When I used to trade in vintage basses (I've had a large number of these) I'd always make the effort to get to meet the seller somehow. Often, if only for some history on the guitar...

As for the buzzing, again it's something you just need to see for yourself - there could be a number of reasons - it's pretty obvious the guy didn't know much about guitars really.

I hope whoever paid £1850 for it is happy with the guitar.
[/quote]
Perhaps whoever bought it did have a look at it first. It seems to be about the going rate for a Jazz of that year so maybe it was just what the buyer was looking for.