Why become a member? ×

Berklee..Gary Burton..Improv Course..Free

Tandro

Just thought I'd mention this to anyone interested who may not know. There is a really awesome sight called coursera.org. that offers online University Courses for free. I was actually signing up for something else when I realised that there is a 5 week Improvisation Course by Gary Burton starting next week and it won't cost a thing:
[url="https://www.coursera.org/course/improvisation"]https://www.coursera...e/improvisation[/url]
Some mention was made of the site last year on this forum but at the time there may have not been much in the way of music education, but there a few now on various topics. There is also this 2 hour session with Burton on youtube you can check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2txO_u2eNg

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

This is amazing and I would love to do the course - I'm slightly concerned that I'm so busy right now I won't have time to keep up - but I would highly recommend anyone who DOES have the time and is keen to learn more about jazz, Gary Burton is one of the world's top improvisers - you'd learn a hell of a lot from him for sure... got for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished week one and am having my a*** kicked. Great introduction and a great way to fill in gaps in your learning. I am hearing faults in my playing that make me cringe but so nice to feel that real progress is possible.

Fairly interesting so far, will be nice to see where it goes. Thought dissing Stan Getz was really funny.

Liking the peer review/evaluation stuff, nice to hear different people's takes on the same tune. Dreading getting my peer review feedback though!

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1368301925' post='2075551']
Fairly interesting so far, will be nice to see where it goes. Thought dissing Stan Getz was really funny.

Liking the peer review/evaluation stuff, nice to hear different people's takes on the same tune. Dreading getting my peer review feedback though!
[/quote]

How are you doing it? I don't have nearly enough time to transcribe and analyse 5 peoples solo's.

Not sure many people would!? I assume, given the level the course is pitched at and the length of time we're given to complete our peer-reviews, that we're not supposed to go into that nuch depth about harmonic devices.

I spoke a little about harmony (e.g. were there any notes that sounded out of tune or off, and did I like the lines), but the majority of my comments were on rhythm - whether they had a good swing feel, whether they had a confidence and rhythmic accuracy to their playing.

I was mostly looking to couch my analysis in similar terms to those Gary suggested. I looked for things such as whether their solo had much rhythmic/intervallic variety and whether there was a logical structure to the solo that told a story. I figured those were the sorts of general solo construction ideas Gary was trying to convey to us, especially at this stage of the course.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1368178411' post='2074059']
I have just finished week one and am having my a*** kicked. Great introduction and a great way to fill in gaps in your learning. I am hearing faults in my playing that make me cringe but so nice to feel that real progress is possible.
[/quote]

I feel much the same!

Would other BCers who are doing this be up for sharing soundcloud links (via PM if preferred...) from the first assignment? I'd be really interested to hear how other bassists dealt with it - all I got to hear were piano players!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1368638760' post='2079610']
Ha! I was one of the folk who assessed your solo, Hector. I recognised the voices at the end. You have my feedback already!
[/quote]

Hah, small world! Which one were you? Did you call me by name? Thanks for the feedback anyway - all of the stuff I got back was really pleasant and, more importantly, had some thought put into it to make it constructive. It's nice to get a chance to say thank you :)

It's either a really really good or really really bad thing, but all my feedback was just a much less harsh version of my self-evaluation - couple of botched changes, and a lack of development over the course of the solo. I'm not used to taking such long solos, usually a 1 chorus guy, but that is a bit of an excuse. Anyway, lots of food for thought from the peer-review which will undoubtedly help to improve my playing. Might do a bit more recording of myself and listening back/criticising.

Edited by Hector

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1368723589' post='2080760']
Nice work guys! I'm finding 500 Miles High much more of a challenge to connect ideas between the chords. How are you guys getting on with it?
[/quote]

Quite enjoying it, although haven't had much of a chance to play around with it. Will probably, as I do with most modal/non-functional tunes, focus my approach on which notes remain the same and which change between modes. Hope that'll help me outline the harmony a bit better!

Agree with Bilbo, think a slightly more rigorous process of scale selection will be really helpful (especially for tunes which don't necessarily stick to functional harmony), but will take a little while to filter into my playing fully. Looking forward to next week....

Here is some of my feedback from assignment one. Really helpful insights from a stranger somewhere in the world!!

[b][i]'[color=#333333]his is an bass solo over full 3 choruses of the tune. The improvised lines are very lively and virtuoso. High level of technical mastery of that instrument, very nice sound and use of vibrato/little glissandi. Even flow of melody. Consistent phrasing (phrases always begin on "1 and" or "2"; this gives an overall feeling of trailing, of passiveness if one wishes to phrase this negatively. I wonder how this improvisation's character would change if you would commence the phrases ahead of the 1 - might turn it into something more riveting and stunning?!). In terms of overall structure/contrast/storytelling, the improvisation is rather homogeneous across the various choruses or across A and B sections. What about some little deliberately placed contrasts (rhythm - register - intervals - etc.)? Overall, I enjoyed this improvisation. I am envious of this soloist inasmuch it appears to me that he is technically and musically in a position of picking up and implementing quickly novel improvisation approaches and tricks!'[/color][/i][/b]

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1368808716' post='2081872']
I haven't had a chance to look at 500 Miles High yet but here is my take on week 1: [url="http://snd.sc/15qOm6Q"]http://snd.sc/15qOm6Q[/url]
[/quote]

Just picked one random link from this thread, it was yours.. :)
Some nice phrases and phrasing going on there.
Good stuff dude..

Garry

Would love some feedback from you chaps - not sure which version of Assignment 3 take to submit for grading!

Was thinking of using this: [url="https://soundcloud.com/albert_street/assignment-3-500-miles-high"]https://soundcloud.c...-500-miles-high[/url]

But I also quite liked this one: https://soundcloud.com/albert_street/500-miles-alt-take

Both have a couple of dodgy points with the intonation, but hey ho.

Edited by Hector

Prefer the alt take.

The intonation thing sounds like a lack of confidence in what note you are actually intending to play. As if the indecision is manifested in the note itself. Confidence can leave you sounding more centred.