Why become a member? ×

It almost feels like a bereavement

hamfist

As per title. After much. much time and effort, my rig has finally pretty much come together.

Basses .... happy.
pedals ...... happy, just maybe one to change.
Amp .... happy
Cabs ..... happy

It's clearly great in one way but almost feels like a bereavement in that I really love the whole process of researching and trying out gear and I will miss it. I love the whole "gear thing" pretty much as much as I love playing the bass.

Maybe I'll have to take up another instrument as well !

serious note ... Please do not misinterpret my simily to the genuine loss of a loved one which is, of course, usually far, far more difficult and painful.

I'd put it more as finishing the opening chapter of a book; the story & characters are probably established, but now you have the exploration & tangents that go off in all directions while you explore settings, gains, volume against gain & the interaction of the pedals on each of those settings.

You've only just begun!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1365945476' post='2046260']
As per title. After much. much time and effort, my rig has finally pretty much come together.

Basses .... happy.
pedals ...... happy, just maybe one to change.
Amp .... happy
Cabs ..... happy

It's clearly great in one way but almost feels like a bereavement in that I really love the whole process of researching and trying out gear and I will miss it. I love the whole "gear thing" pretty much as much as I love playing the bass.

Maybe I'll have to take up another instrument as well !

serious note ... Please do not misinterpret my simily to the genuine loss of a loved one which is, of course, usually far, far more difficult and painful.
[/quote]

Start collecting cheap guitars. VM squiers and epiphones are good and affordable and will open up a new world to your bass playing. .

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1365945672' post='2046266']
I'd put it more as finishing the opening chapter of a book; the story & characters are probably established, but now you have the exploration & tangents that go off in all directions while you explore settings, gains, volume against gain & the interaction of the pedals on each of those settings.

You've only just begun!
[/quote]

I like your mindset !

And, StingrayPete, I am convincing absolutely everyone !

One thing I might like to get into is building pedals. I have done a lot of tinkering with tube amps in the past, but now I'm more happy with my SS amp. I do enjoy electronics and solder though, so I think the whole DIY pedals thing is definitely something for the future.

I know. I feel the same whenever I've finished something. There's always the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment but also an empty feeling that you can't put your finger on.

Especially the day after an awesome gig.

Maybe that's why I have so many unfinished jobs at home. It's the doing I like, not the end result.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1365958787' post='2046530']
Now you can get on with making some music. That's what all the gear is for after all.
[/quote]

Already do that, it's good. Never found I have to limit myself to one or the other.

But my other hobby of fiddling with, and changing, gear now has nothing to focus on. See, I'm bored already. Probably going to watch telly this evening, and I never watch telly.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1365955924' post='2046476']
How's your band's PA?
[/quote]

It's OK.

To be honest it could be better but I have no startling sense of urgency to improve it. I also own none of it myself. It's a complicated arrangement, being owned between various members etc. It'd probably be much, much easier to leave it as is for the moment, but it was a good idea.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1365960712' post='2046566']
Already do that, it's good. Never found I have to limit myself to one or the other.

But my other hobby of fiddling with, and changing, gear now has nothing to focus on. See, I'm bored already. Probably going to watch telly this evening, and I never watch telly.
[/quote]

No, you don't want to be doing that. Write some songs instead.

Playing bass is like having piles. Some days all is calm and you are happy with what you've got. The next day someone has poked an ant's nest up yer bum and the only thing to do is splash out on some new cream.

Your cream day will soon arrive

Enjoy

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1365945476' post='2046260']
....After much. much time and effort, my rig has finally pretty much come together.....
[/quote]

I played my previous rig for nearly 10 years and the one before that for longer.

The current rig has been "complete" for the last 5 years and this time I'm done.

I have only made minor tweaks in that time, but as with keeping up with new music, musicians, bands and playing techniques, the search for gear has become a process of keeping tabs on the market and others players opinions and experiences.

My only GAS is for better gigs.