Why become a member? ×

TC Polytune mini - pity about the display

mcnach

I just got a Polytune mini as space was an issue in my funk band pedalboard, where I had a great but huge Korg GT10 tuner.

The Polytune works well, and it's much smaller, I love that. But I really don't like the display, made up of lots of small leds. It's not very nice to look at and even hard to read at times... I'll keep it because that does not mean I cannot use it, and I love the size. But it's not pleasant to my eyes. Anybody else find that?

I wish Korg came up with a Pitchblack mini...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1365616233' post='2041907']
I love it - I've owned them all and I find the Polytune & the mini the easiest to use and look at. My least favourite is the Pitchblack.
[/quote]

That's weird, I can't imagine using a tuner that's not the Pitchblack, I tried a Polytune and it was borderline unusable for me, I just love the Pitchblacks simplicity.

Horses for courses I guess. I can't see how a pitchblack has any simplicity over the Polytune or the Polytune over the pitchblack. They have an on/off button and when you play a string the screen tells you what the note is.

I prefer the screen/read out on the Polytune. It find it more readable than the other options. It works for me and I guess that's the important thing.

Clearly down to personal preference, as I find the Pitchblack the best in terms of display.

The Polytune for me is not whether it's easy to use (it is) or accurate (it is) etc... it's purely the display. A symbol/letter made out of many individual dots does not work so well for me.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1365614194' post='2041863']
I just got a Polytune mini as space was an issue in my funk band pedalboard, where I had a great but huge Korg GT10 tuner.

The Polytune works well, and it's much smaller, I love that. But I really don't like the display, made up of lots of small leds. It's not very nice to look at and even hard to read at times... I'll keep it because that does not mean I cannot use it, and I love the size. But it's not pleasant to my eyes. Anybody else find that?

I wish Korg came up with a Pitchblack mini...
[/quote]

Wanna do a straight swap for a new Korg pitchblack poly - big display! Great tuner, I just need more space on board?

Having had a TU-2 and now a Pitchblack, my problem with the Polytune is that it feels... cheap. Doesn't feel bombproof like the other two. I really dislike that cheap, easily scratched plastic they use for the screen, as opposed to the sturdy thick glass or whatever it is the other two use. And, I also prefer the Pitchblack's display. And poly (on the big version) seemed unreliable on bass for me, thinking sometimes I was on a 5-stringer when there were only 4 strings. It is faster though, I'll give it that.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1365668744' post='2042481']
Having had a TU-2 and now a Pitchblack, my problem with the Polytune is that it feels... cheap. Doesn't feel bombproof like the other two. I really dislike that cheap, easily scratched plastic they use for the screen, as opposed to the sturdy thick glass or whatever it is the other two use. And, I also prefer the Pitchblack's display. And poly (on the big version) seemed unreliable on bass for me, thinking sometimes I was on a 5-stringer when there were only 4 strings. It is faster though, I'll give it that.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that, our old guitarist had a Pitchblack and I was thinking about shifting my TU-2 in favour of one of those, but I just felt like I'd break it, it didn't feel very sturdy to me at all. The Boss is bombproof though so maybe not a completely fair comparison. Used a Polytune Mini and found it very nice indeed, easy to use and it tells you what note you're playing, but there's just no need for me to trade the Boss in at the minute.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1365666111' post='2042450']
Wanna do a straight swap for a new Korg pitchblack poly - big display! Great tuner, I just need more space on board?
[/quote]

Ha! That's why I bought the mini: space! :)

I don't care about the poly side of things.

Don't get me wrong, the polytune is readable and all, just not a fan of the display. On dark stages it's probably not so bad. I was checking it out last night at home with the lights dimmed and at a distance it was better :lol: