Why become a member? ×

music shops in nottingham

anDy LAKIN

Try "Nottingham guitar and drum" near the ice arena in hockley. "Sounds live" aka millenium music is nearby but has a very poor bass section

Music room in the Victoria centre is nice if a little pricey, joe is the bass guy there . They do price match IF you ask

It's a bit thin tbh

Edited by Geek99

Pretty much as above, barely worth the effort any more I'm afraid. There is also that one on canning circus (music inn?) but not been in fir years. The last few times I've been in guitar and drum have resulted in a 5 minute scan of basses on offer and walked back out, nothing much of interest. There was supposed to be another shop a bit further out that way near magnet rehearsal rooms but never actually found it. Starting to get a good way out of town centre by then though.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1365594117' post='2041464']
Try "Nottingham guitar and drum" near the ice arena in hockley. "Sounds live" aka millenium music is nearby but has a very poor bass section

Music room in the Victoria centre is nice if a little pricey, joe is the bass guy there . They do price match IF you ask

It's a bit thin tbh
[/quote]
Nail on the head. Nottingham Guitar and Drum the best of a bad bunch, but not great, and it is not exactly in the most safe feeling area of nottingham

Anyone been to Guitar Base in West Bridgford? Their sister shop Fuzz used to have some nice stuff when it was in existence.

There's Hotrox out by Magnet, but don't recall seeing any bass stuff in there (although they did have some very tasty looking Duesenberg guitars last time I visited).

And Dave Mann's on Mansfield Road (mostly acoustic guitars and other "folky" instruments) rounds off what Nottingham has to offer.

Musicroom in the Vic Centre has the best selection IMO - also very friendly and knowledgeable. Joe is your man to ask about bass stuff there.

Nottingham Drum and Guitar centre has a larger selection, but lower budget. Best overall range of stuff, but not a wide range, just lots in the same bracket. Ed is a good guy and will see you right.

Guitar Base/Fuzz - honestly some of the worst salespeople I've ever met. Overpriced guitars (at least they were for a while), and the staff would take their lunch break when people wanted to come in at lunch time, and they'd leave the one guy who didn't know anything behind to man the shop. Avoid like the plague IMO.

Hot Rox - decent bass selection. Mainstay is pedals though, they are the people to go to for pedals. It's also very cramped, and you'd be playing any bass you wanted to try through a guitar amp. If someone is already in there trying pedals you may as well go back another day. I love the shop and they are good guys, but as a customer experience it's a bit frantic.

Hobgoblin went a few years ago. There's Dave Mann music which has all manner of acoustic instruments/folk instruments if that's your bag, but I don't recall any basses in there.

There's Music inn at the top of Maid Marian Way/Canning Circus - very eclectic selection. Some good, some less so.

Millenium music has improved their staff, but worsened in stock, mainly online now.

There may be some I've missed, but there's certainly no shortage of shops, but the quality may not be what you're after... obviously depending on what you're after! :)

Music Inn - has alot of R*ckinbetters but most interesting bass was a mango wood Yamaha . I check it every so often as they do pat ex. so occasionaly have interesting second hand items. The place for childrens starter instruments and those on a budget.

Fuzz - Tanglewaters, Squier and Fender basses, Epiphone Zenith. Much better on the electric guitar side as a large Gibson order came in.

Guitar Spot - to the West in Beeston, collectors shop but pleasant staff. One Music Man and some unusual guitars. Street it's on is being dug up for tram, so not an easy visit.

Hot Rox is great for effects pedals (I would be surprised if anywhere else in the UK has a better stock) and also has a couple of nice G&L basses in stock at the moment

I'd agree with McGraham's analysis of the rest of the nottingham shops, save for Fuzz/Guitar Base. I'v always found them really helpful, and when I've visited they've had some very nice Sandberg stuff to try.

Edited by simon1964

If we are talking out of town then another one just a few doors down from Guitar Spot on Chilwell High Street is Crossplay Music (you won't find any Japanese slappers wearing tutus in there though, I've checked ;) ). One of the owners died a few months ago and I've not been in since so not sure if it is being carried on seriously or not but seems to be open. As previously pointed out the whole road is under major reworking for the new tram route to go through it, I suspect some of the businesses just won't survive. The last time I went in a year or so back they had a smattering of basses but all seemed top price to me. Best of the bunch was a shop soiled G&L tribute but they were asking a lot even for that and it needed a really good set up. Guitar Spot is very guitar oriented and not worth the effort if it is purely basses you are after.