Why become a member? ×

Buckeye Lightweight 5 String Build

Rumple

I wasn't going to commission another build for quite a while even though I had come up with a design last summer and picked up a nice piece of Buckeye Burl during the year but as fate would have it Dave of Firecreek (nugget) wanted a pair of Aguilar GS112's and I was about to list mine in the 'Fore Sale' section, so a deal was struck and a plan hatched for a lightweight 5 string.

Major points for me were it needed to have a neck very similar to a Stingray 5 as that's what I'm happy with so 34" scale 17mm string spacing etc.& have a smallish very curved edged body.

Dave found a very nice piece of Ash for the main body with a crazy sort of 3D effect going on.

I'm not sure what way to go with the electronics yet, I'm tempted to try it passive as I love the sound of a Jazz, maybe with the option to add a pre amp later if needed, but then again I really liked my Roscoe that had Bart pups and a Bart pre hmm.....

Hardware will be black and a mixture of Hipshot and Gotoh.

Here's some pics to get the ball rolling, obviously the Buckeye top will need a wee patch on the top horn.

[attachment=132100:2 lr.jpg] [attachment=132101:Ash 2 lr.jpg] [attachment=132102:layout4.jpg]

That looks fantastic. I'm subscribing!

Really got the bug for building after speaking to Dave several times over the past few months via several build threads. He knows his shizzle :-)

Did you do the drawings or did he? What package did you/he use?

T

Thanks, the design is my idea, I've actually mocked the whole bass up in Photoshop (I didn't post it here on purpose as I think it might be a bit of a spoiler) and sent it to Dave who did a proper plan to scale, I think he used Autocad.

Dave doesn't live far from my Grandfather so we've met up to hammer out the finer detail.

This looks like another interesting build to follow. It seems like our paths are forever crossing in this part of the forum!

How are you going to divide the hardware between Hipshot and Gotoh? Hipshot bridge and Gotoh tuners? Or the other way around?

[quote name='wwcringe' timestamp='1365533749' post='2040876']

What is the width of the neck on this build or your Stingrays?

Tom
[/quote]

45mm at the nut, I'm not sure exactly what it will measure at the heal but the SR5 is 70mm. 17mm string spacing at the bridge.

[quote name='wwcringe' timestamp='1365533781' post='2040878']
ps Rumple...I work for an audio company based in Sydenham quite often ;)
[/quote]

Pop round for a play on the bass and a coffe once it's done.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1365534540' post='2040891']
This looks like another interesting build to follow. It seems like our paths are forever crossing in this part of the forum!

How are you going to divide the hardware between Hipshot and Gotoh? Hipshot bridge and Gotoh tuners? Or the other way around?
[/quote]

It's true, Dave showed me a picture of your neck, it's going to look lovely.

Yup Hipshot A Style bridge is on order and some Gotoh lightweight tuners will be bought to.

After some discussion with Dave recently I've slightly changed the body shape, taking 10mm of the bottom bulge and making the top horn slightly fatter so it sits better with the bottom one.

Here's Dave's drawing.

[attachment=132469:fatter top horn less bulge.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up in the West Midlands this weekend and Dave kindly popped over with a mock-up of the body, he had attached an old OLP neck to it so I could get an idea on the size, balance and look of the design in the flesh, I think it's going to be a thing of beauty, the small-ish body had a great feel and looked really nice.

I'm quite excited :)

As you say poor show on my part, Dave did send me this picture prior to meeting up with him last weekend, it's shows the shape off nicely.

[attachment=134038:mockup.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

After getting the heads up from Chris at Alpher Instruments I have placed an order for a pair of dual humbuckers from Allan at Cats Whiskers Pick-ups, they should look something like this Photoshop mock-up I did, the cases are a little bigger then I would have liked but only by a few mm's so they should still look the business and hopefully sound fantastic to.

[attachment=134838:pup mock-up.jpg]

I hadn't heard of the company until Chris mentioned them, I guess it's a bit of a risk using someone reasonably unknown but you get a UK hand made bespoke pick-up for less then the price of a mass produced item so worth it in my eyes, the only down side with the pups I'm having is the cases are a non standard size so if I don't like them I can't change them for Barts or EMG once they have gone in.