Why become a member? ×

21st Century Fender American Jazz Models

DorsetBlue

American Standards post-2008 are particulaly good , and post 2012 ones have Custom Shop Vintage 60's pickups , which sound terriffic . The Deluxes have always suffered from having a second - rate preamp , bland pickups and overall uninspiring design , but some people seem to like them nevertheless .

Edited by Dingus

I do. My Jazz Deluxe sounds great. It`s a very un-active sounding active, which is probably why I like it. I can get sooooo many sounds from it, including the nearest impression of a Precision that I`ve ever heard from a Jazz. It`s a 2006 model, and the only one I`ve ever played, so can`t compare it to anything else, I just know my ears like it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1365352896' post='2038405']
I do. My Jazz Deluxe sounds great. It`s a very un-active sounding active, which is probably why I like it. I can get sooooo many sounds from it, including the nearest impression of a Precision that I`ve ever heard from a Jazz. It`s a 2006 model, and the only one I`ve ever played, so can`t compare it to anything else, I just know my ears like it.
[/quote]

I had one of those as my main back -up bass for quite a while , and I thought that was the best model of Deluxe they ever made , with Samarium Cobalt pickups ( which sounded just slightly too refined and polite for my taste , but some will like them ) super - light woods and a really nicley sculptures neck heel , if I remember correctly . It was certainly a lot better than the current model with the blocks that replaced it . I still thought the preamp let it down though .

Edited by Dingus

Post 08 USA fenders seem to be the best they have been for a while, before that its a bit of a lottery, as models go I think that's entirely up to the player, I don't think there's anything wrong with a good old passive Jazz bass, I just wish they had a more substantial neck.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1365435625' post='2039588']
Post 08 USA fenders seem to be the best they have been for a while, before that its a bit of a lottery, as models go I think that's entirely up to the player, I don't think there's anything wrong with a good old passive Jazz bass, I just wish they had a more substantial neck.
[/quote]

On that point , the post 08 Am St Jazz Basses have quite a meaty neck profile for a Jazz Bass , but still very comfortable . As always with Fenders , there may well be a bit of variation from one example to another , but all the ones I have tried have been a lot more substantial than something like the Jazz Bass - style necks on a Lakland Joe Osborn , which is on the skinnier side for a Jazz Bass neck .

Ay, I've had two post 2008 American Standards. The first was pretty good, but I sold it on as I found the maple to be a little too glossy for me, (although now I might quite like it).

Now, I have a 2011 Sunburst/Tort//Rosewood, and this bass sings! It is beautiful. It does not have the new CS pups, but the pups are brilliant.

If I found a similar instrument, P or J, I would buy again, however Fender's QC can be dodgy I'm afraid. Just be careful and check them properly.

My 2010 MIA Jazz (bought from fellow Basschatter Phsycoandy last September) sounds, feels and looks fabulous. Admittedly, I still keep going back to the 1993-vintage 62 reissue MIJ that the 2010 Jazz was bought to replace, but I think that may just be some variant of the 'old pair of jeans' habit on my part!

I played a new American AM Deluxe 2012/3 model that made me almost go out and get a credit card to make the purchase, it was that good, stood up to a few Sadowskys I've played no problems. I was most surprised at the usability of the actives in the bass, in the past active Fender circuits have left me less than inspired but man, I can't remember I was that excited by playing a bass.