Why become a member? ×

UK music scene

chasblaisdell

In the States there is a "juke joint" along the road every 30 miles where I come from , every town with a population over 1,000 has a couple bands . Jazz doesn't exist for the most part , only in the bigger cities . The average Joe wants to find a chick , cut a rug , brawl and get laid with the Stones and ZZ Top covers cranked . Blues rules in certain cities , Chicago , Seattle , etc . It is not that tough to find a gig , might not be for much $$ but if you're good you'll be working . I married a Dane , moved here sometime ago . There is no music scene whatsoever , nada , zilch here , people sit , listen to Jazz , drink expensive wine and pretend they're f-ing French . Somebody tell me that there's life across the North Sea somewhere . Is the Wolf and Muddy Waters still alive and well somewhere ?

[quote name='chasblaisdell' timestamp='1364805056' post='2030937']
That was then (60's) , this is now :)
[/quote]

Fair point, but to be honest I think you've done well to escape a place where '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The average Joe wants to find a chick , cut a rug , brawl and get laid with the Stones and ZZ Top covers cranked.' :lol:[/font][/color]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1364805280' post='2030940']
Fair point, but to be honest I think you've done well to escape a place where '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The average Joe wants to find a chick , cut a rug , brawl and get laid with the Stones and ZZ Top covers cranked.' :lol:[/font][/color]
[/quote] We are who we are :) :) :) :)

Don't expect the UK music scene to be as vibrant as the US. Still quite a lot of pub gigs but many places put bands on that really shouldn't. Indie pop rock and classic rock usually in the pubs with other places for other niche markets. Average UK Joe will tend to go to a club and listen to dance music whilst out on the pull, but plenty still prefer rock music of one sort or another!

There is a UK blues scene but it is based around festivals and small clubs dotted around the country.

Bear in mind this is 'in my experience' and mainly based on the north of England - it will be different in other parts of the country! My impression that there is a very good live music scene in Holland and that it is better in much of mainland Europe...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1364805280' post='2030940']

[/quote]
Christ, you're in Newcastle - that seems a pretty good description of a night on the toon with perhaps a slightly different soundtrack!!

[quote name='chasblaisdell' timestamp='1364803192' post='2030917']
In the States there is a "juke joint" along the road every 30 miles where I come from , every town with a population over 1,000 has a couple bands . Jazz doesn't exist for the most part , only in the bigger cities . The average Joe wants to find a chick , cut a rug , brawl and get laid with the Stones and ZZ Top covers cranked . Blues rules in certain cities , Chicago , Seattle , etc . It is not that tough to find a gig , might not be for much $$ but if you're good you'll be working . I married a Dane , moved here sometime ago . There is no music scene whatsoever , nada , zilch here , people sit , listen to Jazz , drink expensive wine and pretend they're f-ing French . Somebody tell me that there's life across the North Sea somewhere . Is the Wolf and Muddy Waters still alive and well somewhere ?
[/quote]

whereabouts is 'here' please?

edit - sorry posted at same time as above only realised a spit second after!!

sorry cant help tho as never been to newcastle - Kent has a fairly good live music scene thoug FWIW :)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1364806228' post='2030957']
Christ, you're in Newcastle - that seems a pretty good description of a night on the toon with perhaps a slightly different soundtrack!!
[/quote]

No, no. In Newcastle it's: 'The average Joe wants to find a chick , cut a rug , brawl, go for a kebab and get laid...' with a slightly different soundtrack.

At the risk of sounding somewhat unsympathetic, if music is that important to you, then I would suggest that you have made some wrong lifestyle choices. Unfortunately life is such that only a very few very lucky people get it all. Most of us have to make compromises and juggle their interests to find something that works with regards to work/home/hobbies etc.

You need to take a long hard look and decide whether it might be worth risking loosing what you have right now, for the possibility that somewhere else in Europe might be more conducive to your musical needs - and with all these things there are no guarantees that it will be.

On the other hand you might have come onto an internet forum just to have a bit of a moan, in which case - job done! Welcome to Basschat!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364806900' post='2030973']
On the other hand you might have come onto an internet forum just to have a bit of a moan, in which case - job done![/quote]

..and christ knows you've come to the right place to do it. What we really need is a moaners' sub-forum.

Mods?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1364806136' post='2030954']
Oh, dear me. I thought he was talking about Denmark.

Where in the UK are you?
[/quote]
If you were asking me, I'm based in West Yorkshire.

I know that the OP is in Denmark, the point I was trying to make that mainland Europe seems to be better for live music these days compared to the UK. I'm guessing that the OP likes his blues rock, which seems to be pretty big in Holland judging by the number of gigs that UK based bands of that ilk seem to do over there!

The UK music scene in my experience is really mixed, currently in the South, Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth and to a lesser state Brighton as well as Guildford and London, there is a HUGE scene for post rock/hardcore. Music where it's dropped D/C screaming vocals but apparently the lyrics are about good things, not those dark lets kill someone for the devil and them metal esque lyrics but it still sounds exactly the same!

It all depends on what type of music you are after, Germany has a big music scene, Romania apparently is great for Rock too.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364808279' post='2030992']
And IMO there's nothing wrong with Newcastle. We play to our most enthusiastic audiences there!
[/quote]
Nothing wrong with Newcastle at all - always a good 'lively' night out and some of the best audiences in the UK...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364806900' post='2030973']
At the risk of sounding somewhat unsympathetic, if music is that important to you, then I would suggest that you have made some wrong lifestyle choices. Unfortunately life is such that only a very few very lucky people get it all. Most of us have to make compromises and juggle their interests to find something that works with regards to work/home/hobbies etc.

You need to take a long hard look and decide whether it might be worth risking loosing what you have right now, for the possibility that somewhere else in Europe might be more conducive to your musical needs - and with all these things there are no guarantees that it will be.

On the other hand you might have come onto an internet forum just to have a bit of a moan, in which case - job done! Welcome to Basschat!
[/quote] just stating the case and wondering if things are as dead in the UK . There were no questions asked as in how to manage , we all have our crosses to bear . Just curious , not looking for advice whatsoever , maybe possibly putting out a little useful info to prospectives looking at Denmark .

Agree that finding a decent band to play with could be tough but there are no shortages of places to play round my neck of the woods, you might just need to look/try a little harder.

If anything, there's an abundance of places that will have you playing all the Stones & ZZ Top numbers you can physically stomach.

[quote name='chasblaisdell' timestamp='1364810082' post='2031022']
just stating the case [b]and wondering if things are as dead in the UK [/b]. There were no questions asked as in how to manage , we all have our crosses to bear . Just curious , not looking for advice whatsoever , maybe possibly putting out a little useful info to prospectives looking at Denmark .
[/quote]
No they are not!
You've gone from a country that has the third largest population, and a history of great music/musicians... to a country (Denmark) with less than 6,000,000 inhabitants, that's famous for...er... Lego and, er...Hans Christian Andersen... oh, and bacon, but certainly [b]not for its vibrant music scene[/b]!

The UK on the other hand, has a music scene that certainly equals that of the States.
And pub gigs are to be found everywhere, with bands doing ZZ Top and Stones covers. Blues is certainly well represented.

Edited by SteveK

Ah sorry I also misunderstood, thought you were referring to the U.K.

I frequently play in Sweden, I'm there about 3 or 4 times a year. I don't know if they have a similar thing in Demark but during the summer months in Sweden, the 'people's parks' all around the country host live music for the local people, absolutely huge numbers in some cases. They sell alcohol etc. and because the sun doesn't set till late it gives the chance for people to have a bit of a party. We play all over in the summer, perhaps you should look to taking a little trip across the Oresund Bridge and getting yourself a few dates with a good band.

Denmark is bloody small, I'm sure the live venues will be largely focused in Copenhagen, and if you're serious about getting out to do some live work then it's hardly a taxing trip to get to the city where ever you are in the country every so often. The biggest nightmare would be parking as the centre of Copenhagen is totally pedestrianised!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1364820695' post='2031222']
Ah sorry I also misunderstood, thought you were referring to the U.K.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm not sure what is being discussed.

Title of thread: [b]UK music scene[/b]
Content of initial post: [b]Danish music scene[/b]

:unsure: :unsure: