Why become a member? ×

5-string fretless PJ build

JimBobTTD

Poor Dave...I keep adding things to this.

We are in discussions about a scratchplate now. The idea was that he would send one which I could use as a template, but due to my recent move, I am not in a position to do anything like that at all. The two scratchplates he has used as props in the pics in this thread - the brown/red tort and the red tort - are in poor nick, so that's them out.

I would also like to point out that Dave kindly offered to send me his nut files so I could sort the nut out and also to wire it up for me if I sent my pickups. What a gent! There was no need for either, as I brought my soldering iron and nut files with me [Aug 2013-Jan 2014: living out of a couple of suitcases].

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had the bass in my possession for about a week now. I am now finally finding the time to put it together. What I have done so far is just fiddling - I put my Warmoth neck on Dave's body (perfect fit) and had a play.

What needs to be done:
Attach tuners to the new fretless neck
Put the string retainers on too
Attach the neck to my Warmoth Jazz body
File nut

And, on the body:
Take off scratchplate to access thumb rest and misc bits and bobs that are being stored in the cavity
Shielding tape for the cavities
Mounting foam for the pickups (on order…I foolishly left some behind)
Wire it all up

What has to be said - and I think I said it when doing the last project - Hipshot's tuners are great but they really are not adjustable. They claim to be left or right handed; all you need to do is unscrew the bolt thing. Easy as 1-2-3!!! Except this is not the case. The bolt takes an Allen key (the smallest one known to mankind), is made of amazingly soft metal and has been monster-tightened so it is nigh impossible to get it out. I have the tuner in the freezer in an attempt to shrink the metal a little bit so I can unscrew it easier. It worked last time, so...

Many, many photos to follow.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1384023944' post='2272096']
[size=4]What needs to be done:[/size]
Attach tuners to the new fretless neck
Put the string retainers on too
Attach the neck to my Warmoth Jazz body
File nut

And, on the body:
Take off scratchplate to access thumb rest and misc bits and bobs that are being stored in the cavity
Shielding tape for the cavities
Mounting foam for the pickups (on order…I foolishly left some behind)
Wire it all up
[/quote]

Right…I have managed to get four of the tuners on. The fifth one has been cross-threaded and needs replacing. How did this happen? Either I did it or it was like that from the factory (a little less likely). The holes were a little too tight for the tuners and I think it may have happened when trying to put it on the fourth hole (for the D string). I widened the D and G holes with a bit of sandpaper and now the tuners go in nicely. I shall order a new Ultralite for the G and curse the mounting costs of this project! But you know what? I shall order it already changed to left-handed. Pardon my French, but "ce n'est pas possible à convertir les Hipshots" so I shall only order from somewhere that will change it [i]before[/i] sending it out!

Still lots of photos on the way. The body is full-on luscious. I shall get to shielding it this week coming up. I'm away for a couple of days but I should have it done before the week is over so I do all the wiring next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a bit slower than I would have liked.

This evening, I shielded the P body. Here it is with the scratchplate taken off. The scratchplate seems to have bonded with a few patches of finish, but it's all under the plate so no bother.

And here it is with the shielding tape on:

And the back of the scratchplate:

Finally found some time today for a bit more fiddling.

Not good news, though…the John East U-Retro will not fit in the cavity and will instead be placed in my Jazz. This is not necessarily bad news, as I always wanted a preamp in there.

But now I'm not sure what to put in the P…suggestions? A blend is a must.

Yep, it's because of the preamp's shape. Bummer. But did I check first? No. Who is to blame? Ahem...

I shall have to try it out passive first. I really want to take it to band practise on Sunday, but I'm unsure I shall have time this week to complete the electronics and set-up. I'm off again tomorrow evening and won't be back before Thursday or Friday evening.

Thanks for the preamp suggestions, gents. I have an Audere that I shall fish out and consider. It is 4-knob, though, which is something I am rapidly thinking I do not want on this bass. Perhaps I shall have it passive for a while.

Right…I have put the PJ together and set it up. I wired the P pickup straight to the jack and left the J unconnected. The Nordstrand P sounds excellent, albeit a touch harsh in its current wiring. I hope and assume that it will be tamed a bit when wired up properly. The bass feels very nice to play and is lightweight and balances well. To recap, this is the body Dave made and the Warmoth neck.

The bass has a Fender 62RI scratchplate on it with holes for a thumbrest (under the strings) and pickup cover. I'm unsure what to do with the holes for the thumbrest - I think I shall just leave them as they are. For the pickup cover, though, I wanted to have the screws there. But why not go whole-hog? So I did. I put a cover on and, to my surprise, it does not hamper my playing at all and acts as a nice resting spot for my thumb or, when playing with my thumb further up the neck, for my hand.

No more photos of this bass until it is completely done. As it is right now, it looks too much like it will when it is fully done. This will make the final photo's impact less exciting. So there!

• 2 months later...

I've been busy recently...

Some bad news. The fretless neck that Dave made - that wonderful, beautiful piece of wood - developed a fault and has been returned. Dave, ever the professional, said he would refund.

The good news: the P5 is complete. The body Dave made joined perfectly with my Warmoth neck and together have created a bass of joy. Perfect balance, not too heavy at all, excellent sound, as resonant as you could wish…and with flawless finishing too. To trot out the old cliché, the photos don't do it justice. This is for a number of reasons, such as a lack of natural light (it's winter, after all), poor photography skills and the fact that white does not photograph well, I find.

I have wired her up so the controls go volume, tone, blend. The space at the end was tight, and the blend pot is a small one, so that was the way it was. I am not happy with the passive blend for its own inherent flaws (the middle position's weakness) and I am going to go active which will also give the bass a bit more oomph. I am in no hurry to do this as the passive sound is utterly excellent. The P on its own sounds massive and the J on its own is none too shabby either. I am very happy with this bass! I have been playing it for a good while now and it makes me grin like a Cheshire cat.

A brief summary:
BC's own Nugget (Dave) made the body
Warmoth Deluxe V neck
Hipshot A bridge, Ultralite tuners, string retainers, ferrules
Schaller straplocks
Nordstrand P5 and NFJ5 pickups
Fender neck plate, scratchplate, knobs

And here are the photos:

Better photos in April!

What remains now is to get a fretless neck for the Warmoth J body I have.

I also saw a photo here (in the Show Your Rig thread) of someone's sunburst Jazz with a bound and blocked neck. I had never known that I fully, 100% needed a sunburst Jazz with a bound and blocked neck before that moment. Something tells me that my next project will be started soon after the fretless neck is done…two or three-tone sunburst, black scratchplate, passive, flamed maple neck...

• 1 year later...

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1391953726' post='2362905']
What remains now is to get a fretless neck for the Warmoth J body I have.

I also saw a photo here (in the Show Your Rig thread) of someone's sunburst Jazz with a bound and blocked neck. I had never known that I fully, 100% needed a sunburst Jazz with a bound and blocked neck before that moment. Something tells me that my next project will be started soon after the fretless neck is done…two or three-tone sunburst, black scratchplate, passive, flamed maple neck...
[/quote]

Well...a fretless neck from Warmoth has now been purchased and is being sprayed in clear nitro gloss. This will go on the Jazz V body I have had sitting around since I stole the neck off it for the PJ in this thread. Happy days!

The sunburst Jazz with a bound and blocked neck is going to happen at some point soon - probably all Warmoth, probably body and neck finished by the chap doing the fretless neck now. Something tells me that I shall have all my bass sounds covered with the PJ, the Jazz fretless, the sunburst Jazz and my trusty Ibanez SR1205 for anything more metallic.

More details when the fretless neck is ready and in my hands!

Edited by JimBobTTD

• 2 weeks later...

Gnnnngngngngngn neck has been finished in clear nitro and will soon be making its way to me. The photos are [b]absolutely fantastic[/b]! More info and pics of the neck when it gets here...I would estimate that it will take a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

...but it has now been found. Really unhappy with how the delivery went - the website is still saying that they have received a booking but not collected it yet. Allegedly, someone tried to deliver it to me on the 28th May and then took it back to the depot. No note through the door, tracking not working, no phone call...how am I to know? Terrible. Interparcel using DPD.

The neck is lovely. There is a great level of flame without being OTT.

I shall let the neck acclimatise overnight and see if I can get it on the body tomorrow. Besides, I'm far too tired to be making decisions at the moment.

Next steps:

Get the neck on the body
Tuners on the headstock
String retainers up there too
Strings

• 1 month later...

It took me a while to get things in order, but it is now almost all done.

Neck on the body - I had to sand the neck pocket a tiny bit. I used a thumb rest as a block and a piece of 320 wet&dry (used dry) to take just a smidgen off each side. The rest went on without any bother.

Next steps:

Wait for the neck to settle
Gentle tweak of the truss rod (perhaps only an eighth of a turn) to reduce the relief a bit
Lower saddles on the bridge
Intonation

The bass feels great at the moment. The body had been sat in a cupboard for the best part of two years. Joy!