Why become a member? ×

5-string fretless PJ build

JimBobTTD

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1369819827' post='2092986']
Is that neck pickup rout going to fit a 5 string P pickup? It looks like the 4 stringer fits but surely you will fit a 5 stringer? Aren't they longer?
[/quote]

Some are longer, others not. I'm going for a Nordstrand which is the same size as a 4-string.

Update from Dave:

Body by-and-large done, save a final sanding. The juiciest bit is that the battery compartment has been completed. We decided not to go for the Gotoh plastic housing and instead opted for a cavity with a door, held on with magnets.

Edited by JimBobTTD

• 2 weeks later...

Dave has been putting more finish on the neck and wanted to send me a pic "[color=#1F497D][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]just to show you I’m actually doing something!!"[/size][/font][/color]

One or two weekends to go, he says.

I can't wait, I says!!!

It is pretty much done. Dave said that he needs to deepen the neck pocket a bit, trim the scratchplate and have a final check that the pickup rout is the right size, and then it's off to me!

Here it is:

To do when I get it:
Cut the nut
Paint the body

Painting the body will be a little less easy than I thought as I shall have much reduced access to my shed (due to a job move) than previously thought. So, instead of me blasting through it in a few weekends, it will likely take me a lot longer. Hopefully I shall be able to do it before the warm weather passes...otherwise, I shall end up having to wait until next year!

Reality hit me...there is no way that I will be able to paint the bass myself and have it ready much before August 2014. I have asked Dave to paint it for me. In white, [i]bien sûr...[/i]

[i]Edit to add: ...when my dang SMTP server decides to work again! How typical that it cut out during our email exchange![/i]

Edited by JimBobTTD

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ah...yes, but no pictures.

There was a slight problem with the paint, so Dave wanted to strip it all back to the wood and do it all again. Who am I to stand in the way of perfection? Things should be ready in a few weeks from now. Dave feels awful that this has taken so long, but, in actuality, it has not. Allow me to break it all down:

02/13: Initial contact, discussion
03/13: Sent off old neck to be cloned (mid March)
04/13: Project expanded to include body
05/13: Neck complete, finishing started, body almost completed
06/13: Body completed (early June), neck finishing almost done
07/13: Neck ready, about to be posted when project expanded to include finishing body
08/13: Finishing almost completed, but Dave unhappy with the quality

So, all in all, it has taken ages but due to the fact that I have expanded upon the original project the whole time!

• 4 weeks later...

A rather nice update from Dave; it is pretty much ready. He has made a thumbrest out of an offcut from the ebony fingerboard. The bass looks stunning...as I said to Dave, that first ding is really going to hurt me!

Quick edit to add: the thumbrest is not attached. Dave has cut down some screws to be able to show what it will look like once attached. I shall need to experiment (using double-sided tape) with positions before I attach it in a more permanent way.

Edited by JimBobTTD