Why become a member? ×

Modeling amps

davidlovellbass

I went to a gig last night, the venue must have been about 1500 people max. After watching the main support play with a very nice looking backline of white EVH stacks and SWR 8x10s the roadies removed it all and didn't replace it with anything. I'm guessing the headliners were using either amps mic'ed backstage or something like Fractal Audio Axe-Fx with in ears. More and more touring guitarist seem to be switching over to Fractals or version of because of the ability to sound the same from gig to gig, the bass player from Meshuggah uses a Fractal but do any others use similar devices? and if so which ones?
Line 6 did bass modeling amps but have discontinued them i'm guessing through poor sales.

i love my TC RH750 + barefaced s12t rig but i also have a Kemper profiling amplifier which is so versatile. its so handy to be able to have all the sounds of different rigs and effects available at the push of a button. there is a great online community of guitarists providing a free supply of amp/cab tones, all it needs now are more bass players.
im serioulsy tempted to just take the kemper to my next gig.

I use a Line 6 Pod XT Pro as a pre-amp to a crown power amp and a Barefaced Big Twin T, it's a tool I use in the studio all the time and it's an excellent recording tool.

It's a bit of a bugger to use, but I always get great results out of it and the Barefaced makes it possible to deliver all the tonal variations that I use at massive volume. Programming it via the laptop is a lot easier, but you still need to be versed in EQ, compression and gain structures, and understand that the controls for each change as you change the model for the amp, cab or FX...

I see nothing wrong with modelling in a live situation these days, if the PA is good enough I'll go direct from the pod, if not, 1500 watts of Big Twin muscle will sort it out.

The ability to switch tones at the stomp of a footswitch is invaluable, song by song I can tailor my sound to suit the need. I'll never go back to one or two tones again.

Edited by WinterMute

For a time I used a Line X3 live straight into the PA and I couldn't really complain about the sound, some of the presets were rubbish as are most of the user uploads available on the line 6 site, but as a basic pre amp it was fine and the compressors and effects are really quite good, but I just couldn't get used to having only the fold back monitors for reference, really struggled to hear myself.

Kemper profiling amp - any good for bass? I really like the idea - just haven't tried it out in practice. My primary band are all pretty much sold on in-ears and most of us now use them, the idea of carrying around a small powered cab with a Kemper really appeals, especially if it's super lightweight compared to my TD650 (shall have to check the specs). I must admit, I do like a silent stage, although I am not sure I would want to give up my valve amp if I was a guitarist. The first band I saw who completely went silent stage was Wheatus - and to be fair, they sounded excellent.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1364463949' post='2026741']
Kemper profiling amp - any good for bass?
[/quote]
Its excellent when you have profiled correctly. You only get out what you put in. The thing is there are literally thousands of free guitar profiles available on the kemper online comminity but not so many bass profiles and i only really like a dozen or so in total.
The quality of the sound and the tweakability is excellent though and if you have a good rig to profile with a little patience i really doubt you could tell apart the profiled sound and the original.
Its also super light and silent(passive cooling=no fan noise) and now available in a rackmount format with a foot controller coming out soon too.
The on board effects are great for bass, especially the wah and,compressors
I have never tried a traditional modeling amp that i have liked, the kemper is different though.

Not cheap but worth every penny in my opinion. Especially if you play guitar too.