Why become a member? ×

Beginner's Choice

hughcanbefound

Well I'm totally new here: first post, first day. All I can say so far is that this is great to see a proper UK-based forum.

I'm looking to start out, been obsessed with the bass for some time now and it's finally time (GCSEs over soon) to get going and start up. All I need is some expert advice from you all here as to which bass I should start out with.

I have been enticed by a neighbour to start out with a high-flyer (to keep and cherish) but others have recommended starting mid or low range. My budget is fairly low (around £300 max).

I have seen (and been wowed by) the Yamaha BB614. That's not to say that I *have* to get this one and am open to criticism etc for this impulse choice.

Where should I start?

-Hugh

Edited by hughcanbefound

Hi Hugh, and welcome! :)

You should start here by asking advice! The Yammy is, IMHO a great bass to start with. You don't have to buy new - the for sale forum here has some really great bargains to be had in that price range on a regular basis. I'm sure other forum members will chip in with some more recommendations!

Hamster

[quote name='hughcanbefound' post='207316' date='May 27 2008, 03:54 PM']I have seen (and been wowed by) the Yamaha BB614. That's not to say that I *have* to get this one and am open to criticism etc for this impulse choice[/quote]
If that's how you feel, you should probably get it! Unless you see anything else that really excites you... if it's gonna make you want to pick it up and play it every time you see it, that's exactly what you need

[quote name='neepheid' post='207330' date='May 27 2008, 04:09 PM']Is that budget total - ie: do you need to factor an amp into that as well?[/quote]

More replies in less than a minute! Err... Well... I think actually it will be just the bass itself. The budget is really there to take out the guilt factor from allowing my parents to splash out on me. It was my birthday a while ago and they said they would fork out but they spent a whole lot of money on me recently so I don't want that again. I would buy a small practice amp myself I'll have about £70 to spend on that alone probably.

-H

Read this post above..... which should give you an idea about parts you should aim to get.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009[/url]

The Yamahas make very good beginner basses and quite competant instruments. I started with one and I'm sure there are quite a few that have on here. The 414 is just as competant as the 614 and very nice to play.

300 for bass.... id defo go 2nd hand, look in the clasifieds of this site, ive bought a few basses and bits from there, always great. If I had £300 to spend on a first bass, Id go for a 2nd hand Fender Presision Highway one, can get them about £300ish. P's are all round basses, can get a wide range of tones even from the single pickup, If you dont like the neck? (too large) then go for a Jazz, slimmer neck and some prefer it.

If you have £300 total then....
Again, 2nd hand, £200 for a Made in Mexico Fender P or J.
OLP Stingray for roughly same price (much wider neck though)
the rest, try and get a 2nd hand combo, I really like Ashdown combo's, they are relitivy cheep but like marmite, not everyone likes them.

If I was you, id leave your wallet at home, go to a bass shop and have a play on a few, expensive versions and cheep versions of things, Try Warwick, fender, musicman, etc etc, see what YOU like, and go from there. Something that feels comfortable. Try a few amp/combos too while your there too.

But you cant go wrong with a Fender J or P bass really.

In my opinion.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='207341' date='May 27 2008, 04:19 PM']Read this post above..... which should give you an idea about parts you should aim to get.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009[/url]

The Yamahas make very good beginner basses and quite competant instruments. I started with one and I'm sure there are quite a few that have on here. The 414 is just as competant as the 614 and very nice to play.[/quote]

Already read, thanks. Hmm could you highlight the differences between the two models? There are a couple of comparisons around but to me they don't make too much sense. I have been doing my research but still...

And thank you Jobiebass, will add what you've said to my list of possibles. Would you always say second hand though? Any advantage (except for the obvious) for buying new? I have nothing against it, it's just I don't do eBay (I'm 16) and my parents don't like the idea. My next door neighbour is coming round this afternoon to talk to them about it :).

Thanks for being so helpful so far!

-H

[quote name='hughcanbefound' post='207347' date='May 27 2008, 04:25 PM']And thank you Jobiebass, will add what you've said to my list of possibles. Would you always say second hand though? Any advantage (except for the obvious) for buying new? I have nothing against it, it's just I don't do eBay (I'm 16) and my parents don't like the idea. My next door neighbour is coming round this afternoon to talk to them about it :).

-H[/quote]

Well apart from the second you buy a new bass it looses value, no, I dont PERSONALLY see the diffrence. Might have a few buckle marks on the back depending on how well kept they are etc, but your going to end up scratching it anyways so how I see it.. it doesnt matter. You can buy NEW basses and they can have problems with them from the start just the same as 2nd hand. Not sure how the warentee goes on new basses either.

I dont think id ever buy a brand new bass again. There are plenty of great "as new" basses out there for a lot cheeper. Ebay id stay away from unless you know what exactly your buying, you can get some great deals but ive seen a fair few people get ripped off (see the ebay links section of this site) If you see something on there and it has a few days to go, post a link on the ebay section and ask peoples advice.
Your best bet for 2nd hand is music shops (might be a bit more expensive) or on this site. there is a lot more honesty here then ebay. and a lot of people who wil help you out. IE Burpsters thread about buying new basses. Hes a sound guy too.

Cool thanks Jobiebass. Very interesting. Will not rule that out now. I definitely do rule that out with the bass trombone which I also play, but that's because it's brass etc.

I live very near Southampton. I know of a couple of Southampton shops, but tell me is it easy to ask stores to order stock in which I *might* not buy? So basically I get someone local to let me try, I decline and then I go buy it from here or eBay :).

-H

[quote name='hughcanbefound' post='207358' date='May 27 2008, 04:38 PM']Cool thanks Jobiebass. Very interesting. Will not rule that out now. I definitely do rule that out with the bass trombone which I also play, but that's because it's brass etc.

I live very near Southampton. I know of a couple of Southampton shops, but tell me is it easy to ask stores to order stock in which I *might* not buy? So basically I get someone local to let me try, I decline and then I go buy it from here or eBay :).

-H[/quote]

Personally Id look for a shape you like or charactoristic you like from a bass and work on that.

warick necks are D shape and a bit wierd for me,
Jazz have a tiny neck
Presisions only have 1 pickup and larger neck then Jazz
Stringrays are a large neck but have a great growl.

then go for the tone, eg Jazz, MIM jazz, Jap Jazz, US jazz, Delux jazz,

Not saying thats the best way to go about it, You could look for the tone first then the shape I guess.
If its your first bass then just go for something that excites you. If you are anything like when I first started, tone ment nothing to me. Ease of use and how cool it was kinda took rather then the sound as such.

Hugh,

A trip to ALL the local stores is really useful as it gives you a hands on approach to assessing what you want. You dont necassarily have to buy the ones they have but go and do some 'tire kicking' (its a phrase from car buyers who have a damn good look at what your selling but never really have any intention of buying it!) :huh:

What you may find out is that,
i) they have something in that you wouldnt have even looked at, that is JUST what you want OR
ii) you get to look at some and touch them and can definately say "I dont like that"

e.g you could come back after your trip saying stuff like.

" I have tried a Fender Precsion and the neck feels very wide, and the Jazz feels eaier but its too expensive..."

With that we can advise you MUCH MUCH better. At the moment you are like a blank canvass.... :)

My one piece to advice is DONT RUSH!

You wnat your 1st bass to be one you cant put down rather than one you dont want to pick up... :huh:

Hi H

In addition to the others, Squier make some lovely basses these days, including a Precision Bass special, which has a P Body and pickup and a slim Jazz neck, and can be picked second hand for about 150 or so.

Best of Luck

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' post='207407' date='May 27 2008, 05:45 PM']Hi H

In addition to the others, Squier make some lovely basses these days, including a Precision Bass special, which has a P Body and pickup and a slim Jazz neck, and can be picked second hand for about 150 or so.

Best of Luck

Steve[/quote]

I've heard lots of horrible things about Squier from my guitarist friends. Are their basses better?

-H

[quote name='hughcanbefound' post='207408' date='May 27 2008, 05:47 PM']I've heard lots of horrible things about Squier from my guitarist friends. Are their basses better?

-H[/quote]

In a word, yes!

The VM series (vintage modified) are absaloutly cracking basses. id stay away from the affinity series, but thats only with the experiance of one bass and it could have been a lemon.

There probably are better basses for your budget, but you couldnt get a brilliant vintage modified jazz and have change - with a good setup im sure it'll play better than anything else that end of the market.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='207424' date='May 27 2008, 06:03 PM']In a word, yes!

The VM series (vintage modified) are absaloutly cracking basses. id stay away from the affinity series, but thats only with the experiance of one bass and it could have been a lemon.

There probably are better basses for your budget, but you couldnt get a brilliant vintage modified jazz and have change - with a good setup im sure it'll play better than anything else that end of the market.[/quote]

Thank you for dispelling that one... Right: with all the little bits of advice from here and elsewhere I have narrowed my search down to trying these three out as soon as I can. If I don't like any of them, I shall start again. But here are my three main choices:

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-bb-614/68389"]Yamaha BB614[/url]

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71864"]Ibanez ATK300[/url]

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-/71293"]Fender Squier Mod Jazz[/url]

I'll also try this one out if I can as well:

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-/71293"]Peavey Millenium IV[/url]

I'm linking to GAK because I've heard they're both great for comparisons and also believe it or not for actually buying if you want to go down the new direction.

Comments?

-H

Edited by hughcanbefound

GAK are OK but look at thomann too.....

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html[/url]

Of your list, I'd prioritise them as:-

1 Ibanez

2 Squire = Yamaha

3 Peavey close behind.....

Altough in reality its not quite that easy, as you could get a Lemon from any one of them and/or an absolute Peach the likes of which you'll never find again. There is subtle differences bewteen them in neck shape and width..... FWIW you'll be hard pushed to beat teh Ibanez in that group as they always play and feel way above their cost. (and with a bit of time effort and knowledge this is teh kinda thing you can do to them.... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4324&hl=teaser"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4324&hl=teaser[/url] )

Thats why more expensive basses are more expensive- You narrow down the chances of huge variations in quality.

My first bass (and the one i still have, 3 years on) was a Peavey Milestone III, it's basically a Precision body with a jazz neck and jazz pickups, it came from ebay for £30, and since owning it i have bought some new pickups (Wilkinson Jazz types, wilkinson are a fairly budget make, designed by a guy call Trev Wilkinson) and they have made it sound great.

Alot of the time, you can get a very budget bass (around the £100 mark) and it can turn out to be a bit of a corker, and this also gives you the left overs for buying upgrades (e.g. pickups, a new bridge, new set of strings, etc.) that really make it YOUR bass.

But, if i were you i would keep an eye out on here for what the guys think are good budget makes, and bad budget makes, e.g. SX are a company in the US that make very cheap fender copies, and are widely regarded as very good, although they are alot of hassle to import from the US. Whereas, something like an Encore (the one you see in the argos catalogue) is often seen as a waste of wood.

But of course, this still boils down to individual basses (different pieces of the same wood can make a better or worse bass of the same model) and your personal experiences and preferences (like another poster was saying about a Squier affinity)

Like other people have said, make an effort to play whatever you can, if you're lucky, you might find a shop who are friendly and don't pressure you saying "are you planning on buying anything today sir?" and make a few hours of picking up basses, feeling them, listening to them, looking at them, and get an idea of the things you like. Try to keep the EQ on the amp you use flat, or it will change the sound you get from the bass. Also, don't worry if you can't play anything, everyone has to start somewhere.

If you can pressure your parents into it, take a trip to Denmark Street in London, and make sure you get into Wunjo Guitars. Also, The Bass Gallery (London too).

Sorry if i've repeated what other people have been saying, and remember, everyone on here is willing to help.

Thank you thank you thank you (as Obama has said countless times...) that's incredibly helpful, both the pref list from The Burpster and advice from allighatt0r.

I certainly have looked at Thomann. I heard about them from a guitarist friend of mine and I love the Germans and their efficiency.

If I were to order a bass online after having tried the identical model and liking it elsewhere, would I be able to take it to my local shop and get it "set up"? Average fees?

@The Burpster

Of course that's a good list order. Just wondering though if I go to Denmark street (for which I don't need to obtain permission thank you very much :)) and try all of these and more out and I come home shocked by the inflated price tag, go on the net, seek out a good retailer and buy how do I know if the bass I'll get (although it's the same model) will be a "peach" or a "lemon"?

@allighatt0r

Who would *ever* buy a musical instrument from Argos? That's scary to think... Argos is for kettles, towel rails and mini-fridges! I have heard good things about the Milestone III. But if my parents do cave in do you think it will still be a good idea to go for something a little higher up? Or is sticking with the low-price end and retain some favour with the 'rents an equally good idea?

-H

[quote name='hughcanbefound' post='207347' date='May 27 2008, 04:25 PM']Already read, thanks. Hmm could you highlight the differences between the two models? There are a couple of comparisons around but to me they don't make too much sense. I have been doing my research but still...

And thank you Jobiebass, will add what you've said to my list of possibles. Would you always say second hand though? Any advantage (except for the obvious) for buying new? I have nothing against it, it's just I don't do eBay (I'm 16) and my parents don't like the idea. My next door neighbour is coming round this afternoon to talk to them about it :).

-H[/quote]

I don't envy you the well-meaning neighbour. When I was a bit older than you (back in the stone age) I got talked into an acoustic guitar that was way above my needs or comfort level. Unless you're going to be playing with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra, in a couple of years (!) you'll be wiping beer off it and falling off the stage with it like the rest of us. Go with your instincts, get something solid and not too expensive and don't let the "grown ups" talk you out of it.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='207544' date='May 27 2008, 08:24 PM']I don't envy you the well-meaning neighbour. When I was a bit older than you (back in the stone age) I got talked into an acoustic guitar that was way above my needs or comfort level. Unless you're going to be playing with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra, in a couple of years (!) you'll be wiping beer off it and falling off the stage with it like the rest of us. Go with your instincts, get something solid and not too expensive and don't let the "grown ups" talk you out of it.[/quote]
+lotseses

Fair enough, I think my neighbour's style is quite respectable :).

I have played on only two basses ever. His Fender Precision Lyte (which looks and feels amazing) and some Ibanez one from a long time ago which I can't remember well.

So it might be a good idea to go for a cheapisher one not only because I might not pursue (very low chance of that happening at this rate) it but it might also be a better idea in terms of ease and comfort? Is it not the case that generally the more expensive, the better and easier it is to play? Or am I completely wrong..?

-H

I think the rest of the guys have covered all the basses but not many have mentioned an amp.
I started learning myself about a year ago (im 39 so an oldie to learning really) and i bought a carlsbro kickstart 30w, you can pick em up brand new off ebay for around 60 quid and their decent little amps, they have the 10 in speaker as appossed to 8 in (sometimes smaller) that usually come with practice amps, audio in socket so you can jam along to your fave tracks and a host of other features.
At the end of the day its up to you but the amp is worth looking into, im upgrading my amp soon but im keeping the 30w because its such a great little amp.