Why become a member? ×

Heads up - Danny Thompson playing Half Moon, Putney in July

Clarky

To all London (and vicinity) DBers, get your tickets in for this. Danny Thompson playing a duo gig with bluegrass guitarist/singer Darrell Scott at the Half Moon, Putney on 25 July (same venue my band headlined at last night :) )

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/172538369562769/"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/172538369562769/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clarky

Thanks for this , I'd be interested but tbh I'm reluctant to book a ticket so far in advance as I'm not sure if we're having a family holiday this year or not. I'll have to wait and see , dont suppose you have amy idea how many people the half moon holds ? Just need to work out how long I've got until it sells out

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1374751783' post='2152727']
See you there! I will be attending along with my band's mandolin player and I think Thunderbird13 (Al) is also coming along. I have a heavy day at work so will probably not get there until 8.30pm
[/quote]

Sorry cant make it , minor emergency at home

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1374764201' post='2152927']
Sorry cant make it , minor emergency at home
[/quote]
Thats a shame, hope home front OK.

Oh and PTB apologies for typing fast in an earlier post and calling you Pete! Of course its Paul (The Bassist) :blush:

Fantastic gig tonight. Danny still has all the chops. He was playing Victoria, his famous double bass and 'other half'. For the gear-stalkers among us (OK me), he appeared to be going direct into PA using an Underwood pickup (I think, it had two wings) and presumably a preamp I couldn't see. Victoria was strung with his signature strings from A to G but I noticed he had a Spiro Mittel 'E' (red silks at each end).

I concur with Clarky, it was great to watch him from 3 metres away. I think he had two pick-ups as there were 2 jack leads coming out of the bass; however it wasn't clear what or where the other pick-up was. The box on the floor was a square black box with 5 or 6 knobs which seemed to be AER. I assume this blended the two pick-ups. What ever it was, it sounded great.

Mrs PTB & I shot off to eat after the gig, lost track of time, missed our train and are still struggling home. Ho hum....

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1374792247' post='2153437']
For the gear-stalkers among us (OK me), he appeared to be going direct into PA using an Underwood pickup (I think, it had two wings) and presumably a preamp I couldn't see. Victoria was strung with his signature strings from A to G but I noticed he had a Spiro Mittel 'E' (red silks at each end).
[/quote]

You need to get out more Clarky (or stay in more) :D

Trainspotters guide to Danny's gear:
Yes, it was an AER Bass Cube. His twin pickup system consists of a Highlander Piezo ribbon mounted directly into the bridge, about a centimeter or so below the strings. (Interestingly, its a Guitar pickup...) And the wing pickup is a Shadow but I don't know the actual model.
Steve Rabe, founder of SWR and Ravenlabs, made a dual channel preamp for Danny in the 1980's. Danny calls it "The Ravenlabs Red Box", Ravenlabs call it the much more boring PMB. With this, he was able to eq both pickups individually, blend them to his liking and send the signal to front of house. He doesn't use it anymore so, presumably, the AER has the same facility.
I managed to buy one several years back (discontinued now) and its a stunning preamp. Steve Rabe is now retired and refuses to make any more, he will repair them though, so all is not lost. :sun_bespectacled:

[quote name='mart3442' timestamp='1375156881' post='2157334']
Trainspotters guide to Danny's gear:
Yes, it was an AER Bass Cube. His twin pickup system consists of a Highlander Piezo ribbon mounted directly into the bridge, about a centimeter or so below the strings. (Interestingly, its a Guitar pickup...) And the wing pickup is a Shadow but I don't know the actual model.
Steve Rabe, founder of SWR and Ravenlabs, made a dual channel preamp for Danny in the 1980's. Danny calls it "The Ravenlabs Red Box", Ravenlabs call it the much more boring PMB. With this, he was able to eq both pickups individually, blend them to his liking and send the signal to front of house. He doesn't use it anymore so, presumably, the AER has the same facility.
I managed to buy one several years back (discontinued now) and its a stunning preamp. Steve Rabe is now retired and refuses to make any more, he will repair them though, so all is not lost. :sun_bespectacled:
[/quote]

Crikey, just checked out the AER Basscube, they're not cheap are they :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1375168038' post='2157362']
Crikey, just checked out the AER Basscube, they're not cheap are they :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Well he can probably afford it since he only paid a tenner for 'Victoria', his 1800s Gand double bass, about sixty years ago!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1375168038' post='2157362']
[/quote]

If they're up to the standard of the other AER amps I've seen in action then they're worth every penny. The gear is well made, sounds great and packs a lot of punch. The AER acoustic amps are a sign that you've made it in the busking business :) .

Steve