Why become a member? ×

Another old rocker newbie.

Phil Adams

Hi all. Got dad to buy me my first bass in the late 60's when I was 14 from Hunt's in Windsor. Then came motorbikes, girls, mortgage, kids etc etc. Nearly always kept a bass but never played enough to get any good at it.
A chance discussion with a customer burst a huge bubble inside me, and he and myself are working on a load of material he has written with a view to starting recording in a couple of weeks. He already has 2 CDs and I'm working on getting a set out of those which we can perform.
40 odd years of catching up though, blisters and sore fingers etc but I'm loving it. I have surprised myself at my progress, I never thought I would be able to play judging from my previous attempts, and I'm still rubbish but I am getting better.
Oh yes, and we're booked for a gig in a small club at the end of next month.
Please excuse me, I need to practise. :-)

Hey Phil - welcome back ;) I'm sure you'll find time to practise & time to visit us here :) it's a fine place B)

ATB,
John

PS: It's always good to know which part of planet bass you're on!

Edited by KiOgon

Hi Phil, I started from scratch at 55 and was gigging within the year, well six months actually. Five years on I'm now in two bands and doing guest spots with other bands and playing with anyone who'll have me. I've no talent but I work at it and I'm reliable. It is amazing how much progress you make with regular practice and I just love it. So will you.

Hi Phil, that sounds very similar to me, I'm loving it. The guitarist I've teamed up with is hard work at times. We have a gig in a club in 6 weeks and we need to rehearse. He's forgotten how many of his own songs go and what key they are in etc after I've practised for hours with his CDs. Nightmare. We are playing for charity after all (with the hope of being invited back another time for payment) but at my stage I don't need him throwing me off track all the time.
I guess it'll be alright on the night.

My first guitarist, who started me off (so I owe him) got gradually more and more erratic, then we realised he was losing his hearing and was deaf in one ear. Sad for him but it is really hard for a beginner when things go off piste. Good luck with the gig, you've got plenty of time and you can always do the bassists thing of hiding at the back. :)

Give my best to Berkshire, I lived in Reading for 28 years.

Edited by Phil Starr

• 4 weeks later...

Well, so far, I've been in the studio a couple of times and we've got rough mixes down on 2 songs, and I've had 2 "auditions" with a blues band and I got the job, more through my enthusiasm than my playing ability I reckon, but nevertheless great fun.
Been enjoying the forum, and as my knowledge grows, I might even feel like voicing opinions now and again, rather than just asking dumb questions.