Why become a member? ×

noise gates

Left Foot

Hi guys,
When playing long sustained notes i get some crackle/noise that appears when the note finishes or when played too strongly, so im presuming this is noise, as its unwanted sound. Would a noise gate solve this completely without cutiing out anything else? Looking at wiki it days that gates attenuate selected levels of sound, where as this sound appears at both low and high levels. Would a gate work or have i just got a noisy signal that is unlovable?
Cheers guys.

Edited by Left Foot

Yes, you are right in that noise gates close (reducing a sounds volume) only beneath a set level, and are otherwise open (letting through the sound). If you are familiar with compressors, think of sound gates as the opposite of them.

It might help us help you if you could tell us what pedals/effects are you running at the moment? and how are you powering them?

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1363031649' post='2007381']
Would a noise gate solve this completely without cutiing out anything else?
[/quote]

Noise gates don't always work like that - it depends on the noise gate you have.

A noise gate at it's most basic is an "open" / "closed" device - if the signal coming through is too quiet, the gate is "closed" and no sound comes through. When the sound becomes loud enough, the gate is made "open" and the sound can come through. Most of the time a gate is set so that when you are playing the instrument the gate is open and when you aren't playing the residual hum and interference is too quiet to be let through and the gate shuts.

Some of the more advanced gates can act particularly on hiss but not all gates are alike.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Imfl73DX0o[/media]

Edited by RandomProddy

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1363031649' post='2007381']
Hi guys,
When playing long sustained notes i get some crackle/noise that appears when the note finishes or when played too strongly, so im presuming this is noise, as its unwanted sound. Would a noise gate solve this completely without cutiing out anything else? Looking at wiki it days that gates attenuate selected levels of sound, where as this sound appears at both low and high levels. Would a gate work or have i just got a noisy signal that is unlovable?
Cheers guys.
[/quote]

You're overdriving you're amp and something is bias'd incorrectly

Ah, ok, cheers guys for info and advice. The noise changes charcter (goes from crackle to fizz (nice fizz)) and is minimal depending on the amp I run it through. 40w practice rocktec, terrible, ashdown cab much better. SovBM is really noisey. Will look into bias. Thanks again.

Like with any high gain setup, it will almost always scream like a raep alarm

Noise gate solves much of it.

I use a boss NF1, really simple and effective.

Tried a noise suppressor NS2.. That was kinda crap. The noise was still there, it just made it quieter.

The noise gate just cuts it off dead

Just got an isp Decimator back in my life after stupidly selling the last one.

Highly reccomend! No tone issues and, if set at te right threshold you will NEVER notic the gate's action: you would forget the pedals there if it wasn't a sexy all chrome box on your board! :)

Can get them second hand for as little as £60

i had tons of feedback from my distortion pedals that i couldnt get rid of, i had an ISP decimator ages ago and i dont remember it getting rid of all of it, just lowering it, tried another one but its stopped working now.

went on tour with a mates band and tried their boss NS2, totally killed all feedback from their basses when they had it at the end of their chain, tried it with my stuff and it was still there...just quieter

then tried my gain pedals in the loop of the NS2 and SILENCE, i love it

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1363875180' post='2018737']
You Using an ns-2 now then ant?

I'm looking the mxr smart gate at the minute.
[/quote]

yeah! as soon as i got back from that tour i got myself an NS-2 and i've never looked back

edit: it means i can finally get some staccato stuff back into my high gain playing, sometimes i might rub a string and it opens the gate and it just feeds back loads without closing it, but ill just quickly turn the dist off and on again and its back to pure silence

Edited by Ant