Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot experts, need your help

project_c

I have a question about the Commando 15 series of combos. I'm experiencing a crazy amount of GAS for one at the moment, having played through one of the real old ones a couple of weeks ago. It sounded awesome.

The problem is that there seems to be about 3 or 4 different versions of this combo, and some of them are apparently nowhere near as good as the others. I don't want to buy the wrong one. So does anyone know how I can tell the difference between the following:
- series 1 (mark 1)
- series 2 (mark 2)
- UK made version
- USA made version
- 100W version
- 150W version

I know the newer ones have a big green '15' printed on them (is that series 2? 3? or 4?) but apart from that I know nothing. Which ones were the real deal? And which ones sounded bad? Any input is greatly appreciated.. The one I played through looked just like this. (not my photo):

As far as I'm aware, there were never any made in the USA, all Trace stuff has been made in the UK. The confusion usually stems from the company being owned by Gibson from 1997 to the early 2000s..

As for the Commandos, they're a geat amp with plenty of bang for buck. From my experience there has only been two series of Commandos: The very early models were the green pimply finish and a round punched (like the TEK series) which were 1 x 12" and 100w but there's not many of those about..

Most commonly see are:

Green carpet finish, diamond punched grill 100w 1 x 12 and 1 x 15 models (as per the above pic)

and the later models..

Black Leatherette finish, gloss finish diamond punched grill in three models: Commando 10 (1x10 65w) Commando 12 (1x12 100w) and Commando 15 (1x15 150w).

In all fairness, I've never played a bad one although the green framed Celestion BG12S 100 in the 12" models was a known weak point (also in the 712SMC) in the earlier 12" models. The 15 inch models are great whether it be an early or a late model and will happily show a Peavey TKO a clean set of heels!

Hope that helps, Matt

Thanks Matt, that helps a lot!
There was talk of a US made version, which was supposedly 'highly sought after', (according to the Gumtree ad advertising it for £250! :) ) but maybe they got it wrong.
The one I played through had a carpet finish, which it seems would have been one of the older ones. Whilst they may all sound great, do you think there are any significant tonal differences between those and the newer models?

I have an old 1996 carpet covered 15" combo and briefly owned a 15" Mk2 buffalo combo. Nothing in it tonally, though somehow the Mk2 seemed punchier. The Mk2 seemed a fair bit louder but that was probably my naive youthful ears more than anything. I LOVE the tone of these things but personally I have always found they run out of steam on gigs.

PPS Matt has the chronology right, no US models and basically the Mk1 with two guises (early pimple followed swiftly by carpet covering) then the Mk2 from around 1999.

Very rare are the heads and even rarer are the 1x12 cabs to go with it. An angled and a straight 1x12 cab, both 16ohm to suit the 8ohm min load. If I could find one if those rigs I'd have it. Kind of a precursor to Ashdown's Five Fifteen mini stack.

Thanks for the info, Merton, much appreciated. One has come up for £160 but I also think that's way too much - I saw a couple go for around £70 on ebay recently, which is silly. I'm not fussy about the potential lack of power on gigs - the combo just needs to be heard against some percussion, and based on the one I played through it's plenty loud enough for that. The tone is crazy good, I couldn't believe my ears when I first plugged in.

An X of mine had the 1x15 MK2 model and was great. It never saw much hard work but at rehearsals and home use it always came up trumps on the occasions I used it.

It's possible that MK2 came with a different 15" speaker as they came with a TruVox series Celestion whereas the MK1s pre-date this driver so it was probably a K or Q series unit in those..

I owned a Commando 10 for a time and it was a belting little amp and I only paid £50 for it!

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1362945396' post='2006606']
It's possible that MK2 came with a different 15" speaker as they came with a TruVox series Celestion whereas the MK1s pre-date this driver so it was probably a K or Q series unit in those..
[/quote]

I will open my Mk 1 up and find out sometime ;)

TruVox will be a black pressed frame with a red label on the magnet.. I think it's the TF1520 unit.

Merton, for the MK1, I'm not sure, let me know and take some pix as I'd be interested to see.. :D

When I had trouble with the BG12S flapping in my 712SMC, Trace Elliot udgraded it under warranty to a Q12 (2025?) 200w unit and that never gave any trouble. I expect the rest of the Q series were equally up to the job and judging by the age of the MK1 Commandos, it's where I'd put my monies on..

[attachment=130008:Trace Elliott Commando #1.jpg]

[attachment=130009:Trace Elliott Commando #3.jpg]

I had a Commando 15 which had April 2000 noted inside, covered in black tolex and was 100 watt so I guess this was a mark two.

Sold it two weeks ago for £80 after trying to sell on here and elsewhere at £100 since last summer, but is was collect only. But would suggest you should pay £100 tops.

It was my main amp but found it too quiet with my load drummer and too boomy in the low end,so two years ago I bought a Marshall MB4210 which was better and offered greater tone variation.

(That was until I bought a 1980's TE AH 250 GP11 mk V last week and coupled it with a TE cab this beats them both hands downs - my drummer called it the dogs b******ks when I first used it - great tight bass tone cutting through the mix. The singer said she can hear me better but I was not any louder).

All in all the my Commando 15 was good value but limited tonnally. I suggest you probably played an earlier version. Did it have carpet on it - or is that later version from the Gibson owned days?

Edited by Shylock

There's three on eBay at the moment..

MK 1 100w 1 x 15 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Commando-1001-15-Combo-Bass-Amplifier-/261182772121?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3ccfb4d399"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Commando-1001-15-Combo-Bass-Amplifier-/261182772121?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3ccfb4d399[/url]

MK 1 100w 1 x 12 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Bass-Combo-/300874098873?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item460d7e68b9"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Bass-Combo-/300874098873?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item460d7e68b9[/url]

MK 2 65w 1x10 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/trace-elliot-bass-guitar-amp-65w-/221201426626?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3380a1e8c2"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/trace-elliot-bass-guitar-amp-65w-/221201426626?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3380a1e8c2[/url]

[quote name='Shylock' timestamp='1363297338' post='2011349']
All in all the my Commando 15 was good value but limited tonnally. I suggest you probably played an earlier version. Did it have carpet on it?
[/quote]

It did have carpet on it - I've actually spoken to the guy who owned that one and he said he had the speaker replaced a while ago, and he may have had the transistors replaced too, so it's vaguely possible that what I heard was not anything like the actual tone of these things. Difficult to say without hearing them side by side.

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1363392839' post='2012374']
There's three on eBay at the moment..

MK 1 100w 1 x 15 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Commando-1001-15-Combo-Bass-Amplifier-/261182772121?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3ccfb4d399"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3ccfb4d399[/url]

MK 1 100w 1 x 12 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Bass-Combo-/300874098873?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item460d7e68b9"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item460d7e68b9[/url]

MK 2 65w 1x10 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/trace-elliot-bass-guitar-amp-65w-/221201426626?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3380a1e8c2"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3380a1e8c2[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks! Didn't spot the 1x10, but I have my eye on the other 2 already! Looks like the 1x10 is all the way up north, and collect only, so it's going to have to be either the 15 or the 12. I came across one of the Commando heads for sale as well - unfortunately it was in Canada, otherwise I would have been all over it..

It is possible that the tone of these things isn't as good as the slightly modded one I played through, but I think for around the £50 - £80 mark it's certainly worth a shot.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1363555411' post='2014124']
The tone will be fine, trust me ;)

I know this coz I had the power trannies replaced in mine after my mate [i][b]dropped it heavily and knocked all the heat sinks off [/b][/i]the originals...
[/quote]

Had this with a 300SM I sold on eBay many years ago, luckily the insurance paid up..

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1363555411' post='2014124']
The tone will be fine, trust me ;)

I know this coz I had the power trannies replaced in mine after my mate dropped it heavily and knocked all the heat sinks off the originals...
[/quote]

Hope so. I decided not to buy the 1x15 on Ebay, there's already a Bassman TV15 eating up space in my living room so I'm going to go for the 1x12 instead in about 3 days time, as long as the price doesn't get too out of hand I'll buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up getting the Commando 12 from a very nice guy over in Upminster, I picked it up today. Apart from a small scuff on the front grille it's in brilliant condition, and sounds every bit as good as I thought it would. Tone is a weird thing and everyone has their own idea about what's good and what's not, but for some reason this thing just nails it for me. I got it for what I think is a really good price. It's actually quite a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be, so I'm glad I went for the 12 instead of the 15. It's a pretty big combo, have a look at the photo of it sitting next to my Bassman TV15 for comparison - it's almost the same size.
I'll see how I get on with it over the next few weeks, if I'm still loving it, I might have to consider putting the Bassman TV up for sale, something I never thought I would do...

(Sorry about the crap phone pics).

[attachment=131169:Trace Elliot Commando 12.JPG]
[attachment=131170:Trace Elliot Commando 12a.JPG]

• 9 months later...

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1364320063' post='2024859']
So I ended up getting the Commando 12 from a very nice guy over in Upminster, I picked it up today. Apart from a small scuff on the front grille it's in brilliant condition, and sounds every bit as good as I thought it would. Tone is a weird thing and everyone has their own idea about what's good and what's not, but for some reason this thing just nails it for me. I got it for what I think is a really good price. It's actually quite a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be, so I'm glad I went for the 12 instead of the 15. It's a pretty big combo, have a look at the photo of it sitting next to my Bassman TV15 for comparison - it's almost the same size.
I'll see how I get on with it over the next few weeks, if I'm still loving it, I might have to consider putting the Bassman TV up for sale, something I never thought I would do...

(Sorry about the crap phone pics).

[attachment=131169:Trace Elliot Commando 12.JPG]
[attachment=131170:Trace Elliot Commando 12a.JPG]
[/quote]

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the TE Commando and the Bassman TV. They both have the same passive tone stack I believe so how did they compare?