Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot experts, need your help

project_c

[quote name='CliveT' timestamp='1389782181' post='2337756']
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the TE Commando and the Bassman TV. They both have the same passive tone stack I believe so how did they compare?
[/quote]

Well, I think the Trace combo sounds very different to the Fender Bassman TV, but here are some general thoughts:

- The Trace combo is a lot older, and perhaps a bit less 'refined' tonally (depending on your requirements), and it can also a be little hissy. The Bassman TV on the other hand is really quiet, no background hiss even at loud volumes. The Trace does feel cheaper than the Bassman, but that's because it is. The Bassman has a much richer and more defined sound overall, but the Trace has a character all of its' own.
- Overall, because of the extra EQ options the Trace combo is a whole lot more versatile than the Bassman. The Mid-shift button changes the tone completely, and the mids in general - to my ears - sound much more punchy and snappy than on the Bassman. The combo responds really well to aggressive or dynamic playing, it's really satisfying to play through.
- Having said that, the Bassman TV just sounds really nice by default (check out the Ed Friedland clips on YT). The EQ section does very little to alter the overall characteristics of the combo, a bit of boost / cut, but overall it's the same tone, whatever you do with the EQ. It gets really nicely gritty when pushed a bit harder or when you play an active bass through it.

Essentially, the Trace has a more versatile and lively mid-range, while the Bassman has a rich vintage Fender tone that just sounds good, but it's perhaps a less exciting tone than the Trace. In all honesty I really like both, I've kept them both and play through them all the time, I can't bring myself to get rid of either.

Nice comparison..

I do look at them from time-to-time but I can't really justify owning one. My Ashton does the 'thick, loud and punchy' thing and the Twin Valve does the 'super transparent Trace' bit so buy something that sits somewhere between the two would be a bit pointless.

As I've said previously, my Commando 10 was an excellent little amp with plenty of volume for such a small box and ten inch speaker. It'd be interesting to compare the Commando (12 & 15) pre-amp with the V-type to see if there's much different (other than the 'valve' thing) tonally going on.