Why become a member? ×

Dating Ampeg Cabinets

V2factoryman

Hi all,

Does anybody know a good website or other reference which enables you to date a used Ampeg cab from it's serial number? You'd be surprised what you get when you Google "Dating Ampeg Cabinets" !

I can find stuff on Ampeg amps, but not cabs.

Thanks in advance, somebody somewhere will know this I'm sure.

Cheers,

Andy.

[quote name='V2factoryman' timestamp='1362686665' post='2003439']
You'd be surprised what you get when you Google "Dating Ampeg Cabinets" !

Andy.
[/quote]

Not at all - that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of your thread! You are going to get soem weird Google Ads for the next few weeks :lol:

Yep have emailed Ampeg and generally find them pretty helpful, but they're five hours behind (or more, think they're in St Louis?) and I might get the answer on here first ;) somewhere amongst the witty repostes....but I did ask for them with that title :unsure:

Lifted from another, American, bass forum...

[quote]
The only way to date it is to pull a speaker and read the codes. There should be a number either 67 or 137...67 is Eminence, 137 is CTS. After that a 2 digit code for year, and a second 2 digit code for week of the year. You could add a couple months leeway to that.

You can ballpark it into two eras, though...69-74 they made flatback cabs using CTS's, and 74-present, they made the more common towel bar cabs with Eminences, though some of the very earliest towel bar cabs still used CTS's.[/quote]

Any use..?