Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Auditioning For An Originals Band - Advice Please

Rumple

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1363162748' post='2009304']
Looks like you're sitting with a handful of tracks & an instrument for an hour or two.
[/quote]

TBH I'll wait to hear from him one way or the other about the charts as I might be wasting my time if I never hear from him again.

mmm, just to air a different opinion/experience. I've never been given chord charts for an originals band. I've also never been asked for charts by prospective band members.

Not to say that its a bad thing to do though if it helps learn the songs.

Like has been said, personality will be a big deciding factor.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1363198389' post='2009693']
mmm, just to air a different opinion/experience. I've never been given chord charts for an originals band. I've also never been asked for charts by prospective band members.

Not to say that its a bad thing to do though if it helps learn the songs.

Like has been said, personality will be a big deciding factor.
[/quote]

Maybe they thought I was odd

Edited by Rumple

I've played in originals bands pretty much all my musical life. No-one has ever done charts for me (nor have I ever been asked for them by other musicians). When I've joined existing bands, I've either been given recordings to learn the parts from or have been given free rein to do my own thing. Occasionally when the structure of a song has been particularly complex I might write out my own crib sheet to get me going until I've learnt it, but that's all.

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1363130017' post='2009130']
There's even some bassists who don't have a clue what notes they are playing, they just memorise everything :P
[/quote]

Yeah, but in my defense it helps guard against premature memory loss :D

I was in a few originals bands back in the late 80's and we would usually turn up with the chords to a song idea for the others to follow but more often then not we made the songs up in the rehearsal room from a guitar riff or bass line, this is the first time I was asked to get involved in something where all the songs were more or less fully formed, maybe I treated it a bit to much like a covers band where I'd get the basic chord and structure from the internet to save time before working out the bass parts.