Why become a member? ×

Power Conditioner?

andydye

So, I've got a wedding evening do gig this July and it's in a marquee, I've played in marquees before but always with the BBC outdoor rig so power has been sorted for me...this time however it's a bit more hotch potch...

I'm presuming there'll be a generator involved so does that mean I'll need a power conditioner to smooth out / clean up the power so it won't hurt my amp / my mates guitar amp?

If so, what kind of thing would I need? I've heard of Furman who seem to be 'the one'...but which one?

...and...

Does anyone in Sheffield have one I could borrow in July please?

Ta BC

The power conditioner won't do a lot except tell you what the voltage is or more likely what it isn't. If you have to use a generator, the best bet is is to make sure that your equipment is the only thing running off of it even then it may not give enough power.

Are you certain there's a generator involved?

I've played quite a few outdoor gigs in marquees, but they were never in the middle of nowhere and we've always had mains power laid on.

I'm not saying that's always the case, but it's certainly worth checking if you can.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1362417545' post='1999375']
The power conditioner won't do a lot except tell you what the voltage is or more likely what it isn't. If you have to use a generator, the best bet is is to make sure that your equipment is the only thing running off of it even then it may not give enough power.
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362425403' post='1999617']
If it is a generator, it's a voltage regulator or inverter you'll need, not a power conditioner.
A [i]good generator[/i] will utilise an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator).
[/quote]

So, what you're saying is....there's nothing we can do about the quality or consistency of the power if it's a genny and it's best to take some solid state amp rather than something valvey?

If the Generator is bad enough, even SS amps won't work or just sound horribly distorted. Been there and done that more than once, that's how I know. If the generator is man enough though you'll have no problems.

Edited by bertbass

Cautionery tale. Many years ago I played at an outdoor gig and we were supplied with a nice thick long cable run from the house. We soundchecked and all was well. I then remembered that I hadn't plugged in my circuit breaker plug.

When I plugged it in, it tripped immediately and did so every time I reset it. Turned out there was no earth at all. I never play anywhere without making sure I'm using one of those plugs. Those of us who sang and played in the band hadn't the time to soundcheck with vocals or I shudder to think what might have happened.

We've been using these for some time now - [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Samson_Powerbrite_PB10_Pro_Power_Conditioner/SAM-PB10PRO?CAWELAID=1830892792&catargetid=1820282893&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKeR9K2s77UCFcrHtAodAX4AQg"]http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Samson_Powerbrite_PB10_Pro_Power_Conditioner/SAM-PB10PRO?CAWELAID=1830892792&catargetid=1820282893&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKeR9K2s77UCFcrHtAodAX4AQg[/url]

We play a lot of old country retreats/castles.... the power is always hit and miss.... these really do work in terms of spike filtering... although if the power supply is low there is not a lot you can do

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1362412937' post='1999240']
So, I've got a wedding evening do gig this July and it's in a marquee, I've played in marquees before but always with the BBC outdoor rig so power has been sorted for me...this time however it's a bit more hotch potch...

I'm presuming there'll be a generator involved so does that mean I'll need a power conditioner to smooth out / clean up the power so it won't hurt my amp / my mates guitar amp?

If so, what kind of thing would I need? I've heard of Furman who seem to be 'the one'...but which one?

...and...

Does anyone in Sheffield have one I could borrow in July please?

Ta BC
[/quote]

[size=4]I'm in Sheffield and can lend you a sampson power conditioner if you'd be happier using one. It does [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]surge protection, peak voltage clamping (whatever that is) and - most importantly - looks cool. [/font]The general advice seems to be its not necessary (I only use mine as a rack light and power hub to be honest) - but I'd definately get a trip switch if nothing else.[/size]

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1362821671' post='2005138']
Cautionery tale. Many years ago I played at an outdoor gig and we were supplied with a nice thick long cable run from the house. We soundchecked and all was well. I then remembered that I hadn't plugged in my circuit breaker plug.

When I plugged it in, it tripped immediately and did so every time I reset it. Turned out there was no earth at all. I never play anywhere without making sure I'm using one of those plugs. Those of us who sang and played in the band hadn't the time to soundcheck with vocals or I shudder to think what might have happened.
[/quote]

Most amps carry an earth lift to disconnect it and prevent hum. I remember taking the earth connection off amp leads and leaving it sticking out the plug so it was obvious which plug had an earth and which didn't.