Why become a member? ×

Using guitar amps

davidlovellbass

I've been playing about with using my overdriven bassman to filling in for a lack of rhythm guitarist and it seems to be working well when mixed with a DI. I'm looking at buying my own 2x12/4x12 as guitarists arn't happy when i ask to use their cab as they think i'll distroy it. I used a Marshall 1960a for recording but don't really like them for live use.
Has anyone else tried doing this and ended up buying?

I think for live you might be better with a bass amp and an overdrive pedal.
A bass amp will cover the whole frequency range and if you get an overdrive with a crossover/blend control it will let the lower frequencies through unhindered but overdrive the top end only. If you're going through a guitar amp I think some kind of high pass filter might be in order as they don't take too kindly to low frequencies!! And of course you'll also need a bass amp to carry the low end.
Plus, a bass amp and a pedal is cheaper and easier to transport and set up than a bass amp and a guitar amp!

I've tried using my sansamp as an overdrive both before the amp and in the effects loop as well as using a good quality guitar overdrive and blending it in with the effects mix on my amp and still wasn't happy with the sound. Using a DI for the bass signal and a bassman for the distorted sound works really well as it gives all the cleans from the DI but valve amp distortion to really fill out the mix and because it's a bassman and not a marshall it has the right amount of low end to work with the bass drum

[quote name='davidlovellbass' timestamp='1362142704' post='1996340']
I've tried using my sansamp as an overdrive both before the amp and in the effects loop as well as using a good quality guitar overdrive and blending it in with the effects mix on my amp and still wasn't happy with the sound. Using a DI for the bass signal and a bassman for the distorted sound works really well as it gives all the cleans from the DI but valve amp distortion to really fill out the mix and because it's a bassman and not a marshall it has the right amount of low end to work with the bass drum
[/quote]
Well Ok, but I would use a bass cab rather than a guitar cab, unless you can get rid of the low frequencies going through the bassman! otherwise it will cost you a fortune in speakers...

V30s in a bigish cab, and a valve guitar head. The V30s are middly and loud, the guitar head will high pass the sound so won't wreck speakers. 4x12s were meant to be bass cabs anyway. Distortion sounds more guitary and 'right' through guitar type speakers.

Get this and load with speakers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-4x12-speaker-cabinet-EMPTY-Pro-build-GOOD-condition-BARGAIN-/160983512149?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item257b5d7455

Edited by Mr. Foxen

I'm not really looking to use a guitar amp as a bass amp but as a fat sounding guitar amp to really fill the frequency holes left by not having a second guitarist. Adding a harmony pedal only muddies things as i've tried them in the past and ended up with less room to making things really groove with the drummer. I've thought about using taurus style pedals but thats for more big synth type backing. I've heard quite a few bass players in larger rock bands talk about using the overdrive from a Marshall to help cut through but fatten things out but didn't know if anyone had any experence of it. Have to say it works for me

Fascinating topic great read! Here are some of my ideas

A few years ago i aquired a Marshall Shredmaster guitar overdrive pedal and the thing is just brilliant! Sounds like it could be exactly what you need. You'll find one on ebay for about £150. I find it works really well with a bass amp because you can EQ more low end in if you need it.

I use an MXR Bass big muff in the effects loop ( :o ) This allows me to use the dry control on it to really swamp the overdriven frequencies, however they are always there and there is plenty of grit in the sound.

Check out the James LoMenzo hyper drive by Ashdown, It may be the answer to your problems

Lewis

Thanks for the suggestions Lewis. I've tried quite a few distortion pedals, several different bass ones and some really great sounding guitar ones but none of them compared with a real amp. I heard quite a few bass played who have used guitar amps for distortion, both Jason Newsted and Robert Trujillo used an SVT for bass tone then a Marshall for distorted tones. John Wetton used an overdriven Hiwatt through a 4x12 for an amazing distorted tone with King Crimson and it's certainly not uncommon to mix a DI and overdriven Marshall or Mesa through a 4x12 in the studio so why not live? It's certainly much easier to hear and isn't lacking in low end because of the DI

I have run through an orange terror (guitar amp) into an early eminence g12h 55hz in a closed back sealed cab, had great OD/distorted sound with some old mulards, no clean tone though. theres a guy on here selling a small traynor guitar amp might be worth asking him what sort a sound he gets. also the hughes and kettner tubemeister heads look good for this and there cheaper than the terror heads. theres allso a thread on here for the new ashdown cmt15 tube bass head, watch the vid it seems very high gain with a good distorted sound when pushed

Oddly enough i tried a Tiny Terror through an Ashdown 4x10 about 18 months ago in a local music shop and really got on with the sound. For a 15 watt amp it stayed cleanish far longer than i thought it would but that was with stock version, with several tweaks and a good quality 1x15 i'm sure i could have gigged with it for low volume gigs. I do like power amp distortion over preamp because of it's extra body which could be who i don't get on well with pedals so maybe i should give a TT another go

Haven't done it live but in the studio I've used a combination of an Ampeg SVT-3 with 4x10 and a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 through a 1960A both miked, with a clean DI blended in.

In the final mix it ended up quite subtle but great sounding, but when playing around with possibilities blending the three we came out with a wide range of great tones from subtle warmth to all-out filth!

Has your PA (or house PA in the venues you'll play) got the clout to carry your clean bass tone without backline support? If I was to do this live I'd be looking at a two amp clean/dirty setup for most small venues.

• 4 months later...

I have no clue.
That said, my CV 50s Precision into an Orange Micro Terror guitar amp works wonderfully, and I can decide on clean or distortion easily. Haven't tried a Bongo yet, but will soon.
The Micro Terror is almost gratis.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor