Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ashbory bass - beginner finds one in attic

deejayen

I'm just starting to learn bass - just so I can put down a bass line when recording. I've been practising using my guitar until I get a bass.

However, I suddenly remembered that I bought an Ashbory bass a couple of years ago, and wondered what the general opinion is of these. I did try recording with it at the time, and seem to recall it sounded as though the strings were kind of…err..rubbery… The other thing I remember is that because the strings were new it was a nightmare to try and keep it in tune, so it was tricky for my fingers to learn the correct note intonation.

I dug it out last night and tuned it up, and the strings seem to have settled down, and I was able to play some of the exercises I've been learning. The fretless thing doesn't scare me too much as my ear isn't too bad, and I can scrape out a tune on a fiddle.

So, is it a good idea to stick with it, or should I definitely buy a 'proper' bass? I'm planning on playing a variety of styles of music, but probably quite a lot of country. Also, any tips for getting a good sound out of it onto tape?

Edited by deejayen

I would have thought a more traditional standard scale electric bass would have been better suited to your requirements. The Ashbury is very upright bass sounding, which might work in some contexts, but i'd find its available tones very limiting.

Some real bargains to be had at the minute. I'd be looking at something jazz or precision based (no pun intended). There was a really nice sq series squier for sale the other day that would be perfect and as good a quality bass you will find under a grand (not affiliated with the seller but owned an all original one myself for a while).

There exists quite some love for the Ashbory, and I personally wouldn't be without it, but I woudln't want it to be my only bass either.
To me it sounds lovely when I'm in the mood for that sound, so to speak, but is quite demanding due to the scale, and of course requires quite a lot of time before one can gig it. That would also translate to many takes during recording - seeing as you're new to this.

I'd say: keep it if you can whilst still buying a more regular bass. 200 quid will give you a good one, even when buying new.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

I'm with BassTractor on this.
Personally I play mine in a sort of upright style, using a strap tied above the nut and on the lower strap button. That makes it sit almost like a cello. (Remove the other strap button.)
Also, the Pahoehoe low-tension polyurethane strings are more robust and stable than the silicone Fenders.

These are great little instruments, but they tale a lot of navigation due to the teeny-tiny neck. I love mine, but I think you'd be better off learning on a full scale instrument. You'll also save a fortune on talcum powder as if you don't liberally sprinkle that stuff on hands, your fingers will stick to the strings!

Thanks for the tips! I wasn't planning on selling it, but I'm now starting to look for a standard bass guitar as a main bass. I'll keep the Ashbory handy, though, and spend a bit of time learning it - it might fit in okay on some bluegrassy styles etc.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1362245865' post='1997535']
I found that Ukele bass strings worked well (when settled) and no need for talc or anything else.
[/quote]

No need for talc? Wow, that seems like a major improvement. Which ones are these? The oft mentioned Aquila Thundergut ones maybe?

best,
bert

• 6 months later...