Why become a member? ×

5 String needed

Roger2611

Hi guys and gals,

I am thinking of stepping over to the darkside and trying a 5 string bass again (had a squier hm? thing years back and hated it) I am thinking about something Bass Collection/ Yamaha TRB ish. I don't want to spend too much as to be honest I don't want to open pandora's box and end up wanting to trade off half of my 4 string stuff, I am looking at the idea of it being an addition to my current gear, something that will record ok and isn't too heavy (key buying point)

Looking on evil bay at the moment there is a used Samick Fairline at £249 and a used Bass Collection at £330 ish, any recommendations would be greatly received

Thanks

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362091571' post='1995821']
Can't beat a proper 90's bass collection :)
[/quote]
Thanks I tend to agree, I do like the Bass Collections but I did find the 4 string necks a touch narrow, when playing quickly I found I would kick the G string off the side of the fretboard on occasions so I am a little concened the 5 string may give me the same problems

The Bass Collection 5ers sound awesome and weigh nothing, but have quite wide broad fretboards I found. Quite a large string spacing too; the ones I've played on were 19mm.

Also, put a 'wanted' ad up for a bass first. £330 looks a little steep for me; you could probably get one for £250-£300.

Truckstop

I recently bought a Peavey Cirrus Tiger eye 5er. Well made, active, 16mm bridge spacing, narrow neck and light weight. 5yr guarantee. Great playability. Well worth a look. Can get new around £400 or 2nd hand £200.

[attachment=128857:Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 Tiger Eye.jpg]

Good luck and all the best.

PS : If you're new to 5 or 6er basses then takes a bit of time to get used to it so don't give up too easily. Lot of great advice on this topic on BC Getting used to the 16mm spacing was weird at beginning as i kept missing strings when playing fast. My other basses incl my 6er are all 18mm.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

To be fair the actives aren't great. Very limited in tonal variation but running it flat and using the amp is the way i tend to run basses and only rarely use the controls on the bass so it suits me as it is. Great playability tho. I know you can upgrade to the US electronics but its another £300 so probably not worth the extra cash.
Mines is the cheaper one. Can't afford the USA version.

Dave

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1362157866' post='1996621']
Anything with 'Yamaha' on the headstock. Unbeatable VFM in my umble pinion.
[/quote]

So true!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1362336403' post='1998580']
Plunge taken! Just brought a Godlyke Desciple 5 via evilbay will collect it this week and let you know how I get on, thanks for all the advice
[/quote]

Godlyke make brilliant basses!

Another shout for anyone in a similar boat is the Peavey Cirrus basses, under £300 and pretty stonking and built like tanks!