Why become a member? ×

War and Peace

niceguyhomer

It's a while since anyone's taken the piss out of me and I think its time for some more. Nicking MikeH's anthology idea, I thought I'd post some pics of all the basses I've owned in the two years since taking up the hallowed instrument. I also thought that it might be helpful for other noobies who like me, don't know what they want or need if I give my reasons for selling 'em.

I sold a Telecaster and bought this USA P and a Trace combo on the proceeds ...

Being a girly guitarist, the thick neck gave me pains in my fretting arm, so I swapped the P for this USA Jazz Deluxe..

I was happy with the Jazz and thought I needed a second bass so I bought this lovely Spector NS2000 off my mate mikeh...

I then bought this, because I liked the case...

I hated the Status - sounded awful though my TE rig so I sold it to mikeh who had it refinished and then sold it. By now I was getting cocky and thought I'd switch to 5 strings so I swapped the Jazz for this stunningly beautiful Spector Euro5..

By now, I'd joined a classic rock band so I thought I'd get another 5, in came this Lakland 55-01 with NTMB preamp, lovely bass..

I was getting even cockier now and thought I could hack a fretless, so I bought this lovely Yammy...

...but I couldn't play it - plus the fretboard was too dark to see the lines on a dark stage. Shame really. I sold the Yammy and bought this lovely 88 Ray with the most figured neck I'd ever seen...

Nice bass....but got cramp in my right forearm whenever I played it (crap technique). My arm completely locked during one gig and I couldn't play any more that night - good job it was during the last number eh? I swapped the Ray plus some money for this truly awesome USA 75 Reissue Jazz Special Edition...

Still get goosebumps when I look at the pic of that bass - should never have sold it...big mistake. Anyway, I bought this Jap P to go with it - I had £1000 in my pocket and went out to buy the best P I could find. I tried about 10 USA/Mex/Jap Ps and this was the best of the lot so I paid £340ish and earned many brownie points..

see Part 2

Edited by niceguyhomer

Alan, I dont care what anyone says mate - you have a fine taste for instruments! All of them fantastic basses and worthy of playing time.

Having borrowed Homer's old Stingray, the neck looked amazing, but I couldnt get on with it on the whole - pretty much like every other stingray ive ever played. The Jazz and P bass where real players though, an awesome combination!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='21728' date='Jun 22 2007, 09:06 AM']It was indeed Ruhai - nice bloke.[/quote]

Ahhh that would explain why I have it in my possession now! Great bass in every way! And ruhai is an increidbly nice guy!