Why become a member? ×

any thoughts on this?

thunderider

[IMG]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/thunderider/C5C09009-977A-45E1-AD09-4F196B030099-730-0000006CB547FB90_zps56573526.jpg[/IMG]
ive had this a couple of years nowt about it on web,its supposed to be 150w b4t is no were near my laney,i had it checked some time back as if u crank it full it clips/farts out,as itsa power amp...i thoight it would be well powerful it was tested and the bloke who did it said it was only producing 100w!!....i only use it as a practice amp at home,but wanted to gig with it,i need to paint all my gear psychadelic like in uv and this head is ideal,as theres nowt on the front,i did have a mic pre amp wich boosted it a little,but thats now knacked!!,i dont really want to get in to buying pre amps ect,but would the farting be related to the drop in power?

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1361814505' post='1991331']
If it is a power amp it must be used with a pre-amp. You really can't be sure of what its capable of if you don't have one.
[/quote]
+1

Power amps are designed to be feed with line level signals rather than the low level ones from instruments.

If that's the EQ you're using so there's the reason for the farting. Lower all faders so that the EQ curve is centered on the 0dB line. Like everybody i also say that you need a preamp to use with a power amp. You could try the behringer thingy - BDDI or a similar name, i can't remember. It's cheap but will be a lot better than doing like you've been doing.

I believe that if that's a power amp then the EQ on that amp is not suposed to tailor the sound, only to correct the room acoustics... but i can be wrong.

Cheers

Custom Sound were built in the UK (Oswestry I think) many many years ago. I only ever had one of their products, a well used PA head. It was plenty loud enough when it worked, but one night, mid set, and without provocation, it gave birth to the name of the covers band I was playing in at the time "The Spontaneous Combustion Band"...

As everyone here has said, if its a power amp and you're using things like an EQ pedal or a Mic Pre for an instrument, you can't expect what comes out of it to be any good.
Crap in = crap out.
If he built in EQ is set flat, whatever resonances and distortions are occuring are probably down to what you're feeding in to it.

Without knowing the full specs of this thing its also worth considering the impedance and the fact that it is way old. If it goes down to 2ohms and you run it at 4 (or rated 4 running 8) you can expect 2/3 of the power output rated.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1361912219' post='1993059']
Yeah, look for a Behringer BDI-21. [size=4]Less than £30 brand new and everyone I know swears by them.[/size]
[/quote]

Yes they say, 'what the bloody hell is this?' :D
Seriously though - another vote for the BDI-21. Sounds very good regardless of price and can be used as a pre-amp.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1361912219' post='1993059']
Yeah, look for a Behringer BDI-21.

Less than £30 brand new and everyone I know swears by them. It's essentially a Sansamp clone but with cheaper componants.

Truckstop
[/quote]
Do these things actually have enough output to drive a power amp properly? I mean, he'll definitely get something out of it but he's been getting something out of the EQ and mic pre.

I'm pretty sure the Laney he's got in his sig will have a line out, and could be used to see if the Custom Sound is working properly when fed with a decent signal - without dropping anymore cash on the thing.