Why become a member? ×

Best Pickup for Acoustic (no Double)-Bass?

krysh

hi gang,
I recently was able to score a '82 EKO B.A/4 fretless acoustic that sounds really nice and is a joy to play. unfortunately it doesn't have a pickup.
Does somebody know a good pickup system for an acoustic Bass?
Since I already own some preamps - also a L.R. Baggs Para DI, I was thinking that maybe the K&K pure bass might be a good choice?

thanks for any suggestions!

Edited by krysh

I had the exact same Eko bass and used this pickup, the K&K pure floating bridge which slots neatly under the bridge. http://www.jp-guitars.co.uk/sales/pickups_and_amplification/kandk_acoustic_guitar_pickups_archtop.htm

As a word of warning, I found feedback to be an issue at higher volumes. This can be dealt with by getting a cover made for the sound hole or by putting something inside the body that stops the top resonating so much (eg, a blow up beach ball, that's not a joke by the way). Feedback won't be an issue at low volumes, it all depends what you intend to use the bass for. Check out this old thread http://basschat.co.uk/topic/146036-are-acoustic-basses-especially-feedback-prone/page__p__1306035__hl__eko__fromsearch__1#entry1306035

Edited by Clarky

• 11 months later...

problem solved:

a guitarplaying friend of mine is building piezos for doublebass, and made me this system for some small money. I use it with a L.R. Baggs Para DI and it sounds HUGE and sounds very close to a double Bass with the labella nylons. I'm more than happy with it. :D