Why become a member? ×

Offsetting cones - any advantage/disadvantage?

ashevans09

Hello!

I was recently browsing the emperor cabs website ( http://www.emperorcabs.com/bass-cabs/ ) and looking at their 810, each set of two speakers seems to be offset. I'm not really that au fait with the physics behind cone dynamics and waveforms and stuff - I just know what I like the sound of, so what I'm wondering is if this actually has any effect or if it's just a visual thing?

Cheers guys,

Ash

[quote name='ashevans09' timestamp='1361110783' post='1981141']
I'm not really that au fait with the physics behind cone dynamics and waveforms and stuff
[/quote]

Don't worry, Emperor aren't either.

Making the cab broader negatively effects dispersion, so the cab gets beamier. Putting the speakers off center in the baffle has a positive, but small, effect though, as it evens response a little from the effect of the baffle, central would mean twice the effect from the symmetrical sides, whereas off center spreads the error out a bit so it has less effect.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1361112140' post='1981162']
Don't worry, Emperor aren't either.

Making the cab broader negatively effects dispersion, so the cab gets beamier. Putting the speakers off center in the baffle has a positive, but small, effect though, as it evens response a little from the effect of the baffle, central would mean twice the effect from the symmetrical sides, whereas off center spreads the error out a bit so it has less effect.
[/quote]

Lovely stuff, thank you :)

The offsetting makes cabinet shorter in vertical dimension and wider in horizontal. Cones closer together vertically, further apart horizontally. I will decline making comments on sonic performance, there are better qualified and experienced people who can.

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1361137664' post='1981785']
Thats an odd website, the banner stays in the middle of my screen so youve got to keep scrolling up and down to see the pics around it!
[/quote]

Thought it was just me.

[quote name='hunt the shunt' timestamp='1361182435' post='1982209']
I cant imagine why anyone would want a shorter, fatter 8x10??? Cab width was originally determined by the big valve amp chassis, and later by the fashion for rack mounting. With the current market of high power compact heads I should have thought there would be more demand for taller and skinnier cabs.
[/quote]

They are going for the big valve amp sort of market, definitely not the lightweight crew, these are unbraced cabs (they actually claimed panel resonance is part of the tone) so made of really heavy ply.