Why become a member? ×

F@@@ing Headphones! Time to get a new pair

I always keep the receipt and the box. The ones I buy have a two year guarantee and break after about a year. Like you've found, it's the wires that go (I reckon where they exit the reinforcing collar near the jack) and the volume on one side goes.

I get two pairs for the price of one. Still annoying that they're treated like a consumable.

Just my 2p: If you don't mind the in ear type, don't get 'noise cancelling' ones. They offer natural sound isolation like earplugs that doesn't rely on electronics - then your extra money is going towards better sound quality rather than fancy circuitry.

This is a good place to shop: http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1360937853' post='1978666']
I always keep the receipt and the box. The ones I buy have a two year guarantee and break after about a year. Like you've found, it's the wires that go (I reckon where they exit the reinforcing collar near the jack) and the volume on one side goes.

I get two pairs for the price of one. Still annoying that they're treated like a consumable.
[/quote]

That's exactly what's happened. You've raised a good point about yhe guarantee. I thought that , once you left the shop, headphones were 'non replaceable'.
Didn't know that guarantees meant anything in headphone land.
I normally get about 18 months out of them , before things go wrong.

Cheers

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1360938052' post='1978676']
Just my 2p: If you don't mind the in ear type, don't get 'noise cancelling' ones. They offer natural sound isolation like earplugs that doesn't rely on electronics - then your extra money is going towards better sound quality rather than fancy circuitry.

This is a good place to shop: http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/ Goo site - thanks ;)
[/quote]

Thanks Danny, but I just don't like the thought of something going so far in my ear. Maybe I"m too old for them,)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I don't like in-ear ones either... the other day in Amsterdam airport it was virtually impossible to find ones for the iphone that weren't! in the end I got the Apple in ear ones which are dreadful and expensive as hell!! I've had good experiences with Senheiser and AKG - decent enough. My advice would be avoid 'bass-reinforcing' ones, and try to get ones with foam pads, which help with noise reduction, and provide more comfort (at least for me)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1360938276' post='1978684']
That's exactly what's happened. You've raised a good point about yhe guarantee. I thought that , once you left the shop, headphones were 'non replaceable'.
[/quote]

I think they're non-returnable as in you can't take them back if you don't find them comfortable.
If they break, then that's a different matter entirely. The cheap Maxell ones I'm just about to return have "2 years warranty" printed on the box.

I've calmed dowm for 5 mins, so I think you should have a bit more info on my situation;

Headphones owned AKG K480 NR .. Noise reduction
Problem ; wires !
Possible solution ; buying replacement wire ( with battery)
I have seen things on the net , but it's not clear if I can get a direct replacement.
AKG website.. Not very explanatory.

Just phoned Richer sounds who have an ex demo set of headphones .1 only for £40 , but I can't get to Eton & they won't post(

May give A kG a call , but it's almost 5pm on a Friday

Just looked about everywhere regarding AKG accessories.
There is a kit which costs almost. £ 30 (ha450). And there's a cable made by a company , whom I am not sure of for £10.
Thing is , none of these are the exact duplicate of the faulty cable I already own. ( no battery / volume etc)
Wonder if I'm better off buying another set of headphones, or trying a new cable.

BTW ; the socketmthat goes to the headphones themselves is a different socket from any other manufacturer(

Sorry to be thick, but I've often wondered what the point/purpose of noise-cancelling headphones is.

I'm not trying to be funny or clever, I'm genuinely puzzled. Are these to be used like ear-plugs, to reduce the amount of noise reaching your ears?

And yes, I know I could look it up on Wikipaedia but I thought it would be more useful to ask someone who actually uses them.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1360959100' post='1979191']
Sorry to be thick, but I've often wondered what the point/purpose of noise-cancelling headphones is.

I'm not trying to be funny or clever, I'm genuinely puzzled. Are these to be used like ear-plugs, to reduce the amount of noise reaching your ears?

And yes, I know I could look it up on Wikipaedia but I thought it would be more useful to ask someone who actually uses them.
[/quote]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1360959100' post='1979191']

[/quote]

Basically Jack, it's for travelling( or in my case commuting Train/bus).
The idea is , you get good hi-fi quality sound. The reason that they are noise cancelling, is that you c an avoid the sound of bawling babies and people who are shouty and don't know it.
They are good, but generally more expensive than the average for this reason ;)
Oh, and they are generally full sized closed design and they fold up when not in use ;)

Well, this thread may have tone retitled;)
I found box that they came with ..extra cables !
Tried the headphones using the wires direct (without the broken nc battery thing),and I'm just blown away at how great these phones still are!

I was under the impression that you would not get the noise cancelling without the battery compartment .
Works just great.,,AKG ROCK !!

I got a set of these in ear sets last year and they've been spot on - [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHA-MA-350-Aluminium-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0053R0WWG"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHA-MA-350-Aluminium-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0053R0WWG[/url]

Had lots of different sets but £ for £ these have been best

• 4 weeks later...

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0053R0WWG[/url]

After much research I bought these.

Absolutely amazing headphones.... Then clarity and the reproduction of frequencies is nicely balanced.

The machined aluminium ear pieces feel solid and the construction is second to none.

Plus they are a British company.. Which always makes me feel better

Just a thought :)

Edited by ZenBasses