Why become a member? ×

2 BANDS

beerdragon

Our guitar player gets all our gigs and the other night at practise i asked when our next gig was. August 11th came the reply, blimey. nothing sooner asked i, no the singer(who is in a duo, doing middle of the road stuff, a bit more money split in half :) ) is out untill then. saw my a... a bit, ok i'm only in the one band and if i want get out more it looks like i should be in another one, even our drummer is getting another band on the road so gigs might be even rarer, does anyone else have the problem of gigs clashing?

I have 3 bands on the go due to guitarists and singers not wanting to gig too often!

Save yourself some grief and form a rhythm section with your drummer. Far easier to find work, you get to know each others playing more and if you are both in 2 bands together (as opposed to 3 bands if you both got alternative bands) it makes it far easier to schedule gigs. The added benefit is that if one of the bands that you are in has to cancel due to a problem with guitarist or singer you simply do it with your other band!

yeah i play bass in one band and guitar in another.
both bands know the band i play bass in is my priority and i cancel the guitar gigs if i have a bass gig - even though the guitar gigs are guaranteed income and there's usually bugger all chance of getting paid playing the bass in my originals band

we're sort of fortunate that i play guitar with another guy so if i can't go, he can usually cover my parts

I play for 3 bands at the moment - first and foremost is my funk band, namesless as of yet, but it is coming together. I play for Natalie Long and also for Angle Fiction (very similar to ScienceMurdersDreams) - I work on a first come, first served basis.

Keep a diary of all your gigs and that way you can keep a track of all your shows.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='21302' date='Jun 21 2007, 11:51 AM']Keep a diary of all your gigs and that way you can keep a track of all your shows.[/quote]

Damn straight. Let me know when the nameless funk band gets gig-ready - we'll have to share the bill somewhere.

Yeah, i play bass in two bands as well.
Both the same sort of line up and not being able to drive i leave a rig with each drummer. luckly the all know each other and all live close by.
I started doing the other band because i found out my singer and guitarist had formed a duo and although not getting a lot of work and it not clashing with the main band they were putting in more time learning their songs rather than songs for the band. my drummer is now also in the Duo (yes, they still call it that and they use backing tracks) but as i have more gigs with my other band and enjoy the gigs more it doesn't bother me.
I have a yahoo calendar on line that's kept up to date so both bands can see if im free without having to ask me. If i get a gig with my band i do try and make it a priority but i wont ever let the other band down so insist on at least 4 weeks notice if im to pull out of the other bands gig.

the drummer the lead and myself in the band we are in have thought about doing another band just cos even though we enjoy the stuff we currently do we would love to do some more funky stuff. not sure of the logistics of it but it sure would increase our gig rate (been together about 8 months now and only done 4 gigs, not enough)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='21424' date='Jun 21 2007, 03:39 PM']I'd never advocate cancelling one bands gigs in favour of another. To keep sane and fair it should be a case of if band A books a gig then band B gets an offer the B offer has to be turned down! If you don't you end up with loads of potential grief.[/quote]

Well i have my main band and im one of three deps with the other band. They give out the gigs in blocks but as we all have other bands we can swap and change around if we have other gigs come in with our main bands. this works well and as long as the other band can get a replacment then they are very understanding and ok about it. I would never take a gig with my band untill the other band find a bass player but in three years ive not let them down (unlie the other deps).
It can be stressful though.

[quote name='The Funk' post='21412' date='Jun 21 2007, 03:08 PM']Damn straight. Let me know when the nameless funk band gets gig-ready - we'll have to share the bill somewhere.[/quote]

Definately mate - we should be up and running soon enough as the we have pretty much nailed our first hour set - just need to get writing some originals and a 2nd hour set of covers and we will be ready. We will essentially have 4x1hour sets - 2 of which will be covers, and 2 of all original funk soul.

Anyway, back on topic:

+1 for sticking by a good drummer and working together, im playing with a guy named Lee Alloway for Natalie, the unamed funk project and the Angle Fiction project. It works because we have developed an understanding together, and we both seem to lock in tight as you like.

I am three bands. All bands are aware of this situation and the rule is that I accept the first confirmed booking on the date, including rehearsals. My part of the bargain is that I keep all bands up to date of what bookings I have when and I also accept that they have the right to find a dep for me and arrange rehearsals with him/her and without me. I will never cancel a confirmed booking for one band in favour of the others even if money is involved and they all know this.

It's hard work and you have to run a very tight diary and communicate well with all bands and be honest about what you're up to. Don't think of doing stuff without telling the others as they'll find out and it'll damage your relationship.

Steve

I play in three bands, and work purely on a first come-first served priority basis. I keep my gig list on my MySpace page updated as soon as a gig is booked, so everybody can see when i'm free or not. I also use the organiser on my mobile to keep abreast of things.
Theres been a few times when a much better gig with one band has been offered after i've already agreed to another, and i will always try to find a dep for the band, but if it comes to it i will always go with the band who asked me first.
Just seems to be the fair way with me. But yeah, i see no reason why you can't split your time between different projects. Last year i had a Bryan Adams/average wedding disco gig on Friday, a Bjork/Electronica gig on the Saturday, and a live two-hour Drum and Bass gig on the Sunday. Better busy than the other.......!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='21297' date='Jun 21 2007, 11:48 AM']I have 3 bands on the go due to guitarists and singers not wanting to gig too often!

Save yourself some grief and form a rhythm section with your drummer. Far easier to find work, you get to know each others playing more and if you are both in 2 bands together (as opposed to 3 bands if you both got alternative bands) it makes it far easier to schedule gigs. The added benefit is that if one of the bands that you are in has to cancel due to a problem with guitarist or singer you simply do it with your other band![/quote]

I have a good working relationship with my drummer and have had the odd gig here and there outside our main band. Might have to look into making more money out of it. In fact we're also playing in a blues band of our frontman's father.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='21424' date='Jun 21 2007, 03:39 PM']I'd never advocate cancelling one bands gigs in favour of another. To keep sane and fair it should be a case of if band A books a gig then band B gets an offer the B offer has to be turned down! If you don't you end up with loads of potential grief.[/quote]

+1

If you work on a 'First one to Book Me' principle then it is cut and dry, otherwise you end up letting others down.
How would you feel if you had a booked gig you where really up for and it gets canceled just because someone decided they'd rather play elsewhere.