Why become a member? ×

Shuttle 6.0 Di troubles?

Prime_BASS

Used this head now for 2 gigs and while I love the sound I feel there is something wrong with the DI out.

First gig the sound engineer tried turning all the knobs to the bass down (what I assumed through the DI) I later asked him about it and he said my bass just seemed loud :/, nothing about a hot DI.

The last time the first and soundchecked with it and as far as I could tell it wasn't overloading the preamp and there was barely any real volumes coming from the rig but the sound guy quickly changed it for a passive DI box too loop through.

I'm annoyed as I want that tube preamp warmth to be part of the sound (I like the dry sound anyway of going straight to desk)

Anyone else had any troubles, or can suggest something (there doesn't seem to be a line out volume control like on my old markbass)

Stephen

On some desks, there will be a pad button which will put -20dB cut to the signal before it hits the desks pres. If your soundguy doesn't engage brain or doesn't have this facility available to him/her, there is another solution.

I also have amps with hot DIs, my solution? An inline -20dB attenuator, easy to make, easier to buy off eBay. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLR-BALANCED-ATTENUATOR-IN-LINE-VOLUME-20dB-/190680441716?pt=UK_MusicalInstruments_Other_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item2c6570a374"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLR-BALANCED-ATTENUATOR-IN-LINE-VOLUME-20dB-/190680441716?pt=UK_MusicalInstruments_Other_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item2c6570a374[/url]

Probably worth getting a short XLR to run from your amp to your attenuator and then the soundguy can plug into the otherend of the attenuator. Having the attenuator sticking straight out of your amp is asking for it to be knocked...

Hope this helps.

Shuttle 6.0 here, never had any trouble with my DI, engineers love me as I even bring my own XLR lead. Just plug in and play. And I crank the preamp on my shuttle!

It has a ground lift button i think, sometimes helps. Also worth checking if the engineer has left the 48v phantom power on.

Otherwise, you may have a fault with the amp, is it new?

The DI on my Shuttle 9.0 is without a doubt the best DI i ever used. Check the switches and see how it's set up. You should go for something like:

GROUND/LIFT - Doesn't need introduction

POST/PRE - Post (if you want the valve warmth to come out, be careful with the rest of the EQ doing this, however I would recommend somekind of pedal like a VT bass to get that sound so you could avoid using the DI in POST, it makes things harder for the sound guys)

MIC/LINE - this one you have to decide with the tech, logic says that if you're using a MIC input on the desk you should go for MIC position but because i use the gain on my amp at 12o'clock and am a very light player we found that the desk needed to have a lot of gain on the channel wich would favor feedbacks and add noise so i changed the switch to the LINE position and we could lower the desk gain to a sensible position.

Cheers

The first sound guy seemed to have no clue as I made it obviousi asked about the DI and his answer was rather ambiguious. The secondguy is usually ok with me, and I feel it was justthe bassist pies poor setup and heavily detuned bass.

I willtry and check the output from the di over the weekendat rehearsals and at hdome to see if something is wrong.

Whatis the difference between ground and lift? I nevernitice amy difference om other stuff I've had befor betwEen the two.

I always thought it best to have a hot signal anyway?

Lots of stuff to consider anyway guys thanks.

No problems here either (three shuttles) Di all good and had positive comments from sound engineers and in the studio. Ground lift disconnects the earth from the xlr to or from your amp and the desk, this is useful because you can have too many earths and create a sort of loop that picks up signals and noises etc, lifting it at your amp breaks the loop but the xlr still has it's shielding and your amp is still earthed as normal everywhere else. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977