Why become a member? ×

A couple of 70s Fender questions

Fat Rich

I've a couple of questions for the Fender experts regarding Precision basses from the 70s:

1: When did Fender start adding the plastic spacer / gasket behind the neck plate to protect the finish?

2: Is an "A" width Precision neck (a custom option) worth more than a regular "B" width Precision?

3: Was Candy Apple Red completely discontinued in 1973 or did a few custom ones still escape the factory?

4: Were the Fender factory doing so many random things that you get some odd combinations of things it's all irrelevant!

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1360775875' post='1976313']
I've a couple of questions for the Fender experts regarding Precision basses from the 70s:

1: When did Fender start adding the plastic spacer / gasket behind the neck plate to protect the finish?

2: Is an "A" width Precision neck (a custom option) worth more than a regular "B" width Precision?

3: Was Candy Apple Red completely discontinued in 1973 or did a few custom ones still escape the factory?

4: Were the Fender factory doing so many random things that you get some odd combinations of things it's all irrelevant!

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

1: When did Fender start adding the plastic spacer / gasket behind the neck plate to protect the finish? MID 70'S

2: Is an "A" width Precision neck (a custom option) worth more than a regular "B" width Precision? YES - ITS A "JAZZ" SIZE NECK

3: Was Candy Apple Red completely discontinued in 1973 or did a few custom ones still escape the factory? DO NOT KNOW

4: Were the Fender factory doing so many random things that you get some odd combinations of things it's all irrelevant! ONLY TRUE FOR THE END OF THE 70'S THROUGH TO EARLY 80'S

Thanks in advance!

[size=5][sub]1. The earliest Jazz I possessed with this feature was bought new in Dec 1972.[/sub]

[sub]4. Random things occured from the dawn of production, some more noticable - and therefore more oft noted - than others.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub].[/sub][/size]

Edited by mckendrick

1) My May of '72 Precision did not have the gasket, though I've seen plenty of 74 and later P's with them.

2) It can sure be an attractive feature, and might make a P sell faster than a 'normal' one. But with the sale prices of vintage Fender so inconsistant, there's no guarantee that an A neck adds a set XX to the value, since there's no set value. Two identicle P's can sell for hundereds apart.

3) No one would know the definite answer, but there's always the possibilty a high profile artist wanted something that wasn't on the regular menu. I remember seeing pics of Larry Graham in the 70's with a silver finished block-neck Jazz that would be an oddity.

My 73 has the gasket, as do all of my later ones (mostly 76-79) if that's any use...

I have one (77) with an A/ 'jazz' profile neck, it cost me a lot less than most of my other ones from the same period, but this only goes to show that there is no real consistency with pricing for 70's Fenders. Take two black/black maple P's from say, 77, and watch them go for two totally different figures! It really does come down to the buyer and seller at the end of the day.

Well my 73 jazz has the gasket fitted but I know some didnt. Not sure this wasnt just down to lack of quality control at the time in the 70's. There were also quite a few oddities escaping from the factory at the time as well. On the production line if a techie ran out of the particular scratch plate for instance they would just fit the nearest one to hand and so some unusual examples were released. The main thing for you to watch out for if you are looking to buy, is the neck fit. By the early 70's the jigs for cutting the neck pockets were rather worn and the pockets tended to be larger than they originally were. Generally you can move a fender neck of this period from side to side in the pocket. That doesnt mean you should take a walk though. You really just have to treat it with care and make damned sure that the feel and sound is right before you buy. The most common problem to check for is the 'C' on the fifth fret of the 'G' string. They can tend to be dead, but not all are like that. Personally if was dead I'd walk, but otherwise if it was live as it should be, there is no reason not to buy.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

The bass in question is a September '72 neck, Oct '72 pots, '73 serial number neck plate Precision with no gasket, I guess that's nothing to worry about.

The 'A' width neck was something I didn't notice when I bought it and explains why it feels so nice to play, it's exactly the same as my familiar old Jazz bass. Has a tight neck joint and resonates really well.

Thanks again for the replies.

1 My 72 JB has its plastic gasket.

2 For the neck profile it depends on your hand size. Some players don't like thin necks on a Precision. For collectors, a A neck profile is rarer

3 In The Fender Bass book (J.W BLACK & A.MOLINARO) [u]you can find (page 61) the 70's finishes and the Candy Apple Red is still available.[/u]

4 i agree with Gareth upper, ending seventies and early 80's, you have to look twice...

i hope it will help.

Edited by Emanew