Why become a member? ×

Help please.

coachcbg

Hi all, I've double checked this is the right place to post this question with moderator first so hope you guys can help cast a little light on this. I just picked up a nice little precision style bass that I would like to try and identify. If you can help, great, if you can't it'll remain a mystery; no big deal.
The thing with this bass is that there is not one distinguishing label, tag, mark or anything. It plays like a dream, has beautiful tone but I'd really like to know its origins for the sake of knowing, so I hope someone, somewhere may have an idea.
Here's the spec:
The guy I bought it from had it for 27 years and he bought it from someone that had owned it for at least 7 years which makes it an approximate 70's era bass.
Solid, one piece body. (heavy like a seventies 'P')
Tuning keys at an odd angle on the reverse of the headstock
Neck, I suspect to be an addition at some stage, laminated 3 piece flamed maple, with a beautiful flamed maple fret board jazz style (approx. 38mm at the nut) 20 fret.
13 hole, three ply scratch plate (with a screw in the centre).
No marks on the pickups except 'PAF' on stickers and the little hex type adjusters on the poles.
Sound wise the pickups are punchy and very loud.
At some point someones added a nightmare 'nut' that looks like something made in the shed from bits of old aluminium.
There are no identifiers on hardware or electronics or neck pocket. I'm completely at a loss. A mate of mine suggested it may have come out of the Ibanez factory mid to late seventies but apart from that, not a clue.
Anybody got any ideas?[attachment=127229:photo copy 2.JPG][attachment=127230:photo copy 3.JPG][attachment=127232:photo copy 5.JPG][attachment=127233:photo copy 7.JPG][attachment=127234:photo copy 8.JPG][attachment=127235:photo copy.JPG][attachment=127236:photo.JPG]

A mate had a Columbus years ago, and I have to say it was horrible but obviously there was always the lucky 'nice one'. The body on this is lovely and the neck is so nice it's unreal. I'd be surprised if it was a Columbus but I'm always willing to take ideas. The truss rod adjuster threw me completely too, hence thinking it could have been a later addition/ swap. Thanks for the ideas.

The neck is chunky on this and I don't like it even though it tapers off to the thin Jazz style. (to be replaced!) Still got my original K Bass I had from '79! I bought it to replace the Fenton Weill Bass I had that was really hard to play. The Kay is still with me (for pictures and nostalgia only) that's why I know (complete respect all) this is not a 'nasty' old bass, it's way too nice, I think that's why I'm stuck on what it could be. I'm even thinking it could be an Ibanez lawsuit with a replacement neck, Di Marzio pickups and unmarked hardware.
As I say, I really appreciate your feedback, we'll figure it out in the end!
Be really good to the see the pics of your old Columbus and K's as comparisons. Attached a picture of mine (K bass) 30 years ago and today, blooming awful thing!
[attachment=127267:Outcast 2013.jpg]

Edited by coachcbg

Having experienced a few of these late 70's Japanese P copies my feeling is that it is a Hohner bass purely down to the smaller than normal neck plate all of the others (Maya, Columbus and Kay) have all had a standard Fender sized neck plate.

Hope this helps

Edited by Roger2611