Why become a member? ×

pink floyd and syd barratt

slobluesine

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1360857129' post='1977516']
just came across this... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFYWKgkyZM[/media]

NEVER knew the Floyd could be THIS great :o

Crosby/Stills on BV's, Steve Di Stanislao on drums (nice drummer...i think he plays with CSN) Guy Pratt on Bass. Dave Gilmour's playing is just f***in awesome, and his vocals...WOW!!

lighting and sound is stunning too,
[/quote]

You forgot about Phil Manzanera and the every great John Carin

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1360857129' post='1977516']
just came across this... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFYWKgkyZM[/media]

NEVER knew the Floyd could be THIS great :o

Crosby/Stills on BV's, Steve Di Stanislao on drums (nice drummer...i think he plays with CSN) Guy Pratt on Bass. Dave Gilmour's playing is just f***in awesome, and his vocals...WOW!!

lighting and sound is stunning too,
[/quote]

That's not Pink Floyd, it's David Gilmour touring his last solo album "On an Island".
An absolutely stunning gig, and a great album too.

I was knocking around backstage at that concert as a friend of mine is Davids stage manager.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1360432072' post='1970376']
I'm not going to help you with your query because of the harshness of your mean-spirited opening statement.
[/quote]
I can only agree. Looks like another troll OP cunningly calculated to piss off PF and SB fans now the Beatles one's settled down a bit. But is it art or entertainment?

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1360435950' post='1970498']
There seems to be an attitude around that gilmour foisted sb out of the band.
However it's just not the case. Gilmour was a good friend of syds and was asked to play the guitar parts to cover syd as he was increasingly unable to play consistently.
As was mentioned before, syd withdrew himself from the band due to his increased drug use. He would show up and just be there. One day the band just didn't pick him up on their way to a gig.
By this point he seemed to be more of a liability to them.
[i]They definitely seemed to be feeling very guilty, yet comfortable with the fortunes they all made without him in the band[/i].
[/quote]

Comfortable (& guilty) enough to keep putting some of Syd's songs on various albums so he would continue to receive royalties. David Gilmour said they did this out of respect and were keen to look after him in the long run.This was the bet way to do it as they never kept any other contact with him due to his illness.

Grew up with the Floyd as a kid, early Genesis too before they got 'funky' and Yes!

It's like this, you're in a band and you have a mutual respect/love...call it what you want for your fellow band mates. In my band were all like brothers, you lose one of them and...it sucks!

Syd was the initial creative energy behind the Floyd and probably like a brother to the rest. To watch him descend into his own private purgatory can't have been pleasant........That's why they go on about it!!!!!

[quote name='GЯДИКФЯ' timestamp='1360869573' post='1977742']
don't think Floyd can exist without Nick who is the only member in every line up the band had so there's no way that can be Pink Floyd ;)
[/quote]

Nick was at those Albert Hall gigs & came on to play on "Comfortably Numb" for the encore on one of them.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360869969' post='1977747']
One of my first "grown-up" bought albums was "Ummagumma"; I've a lot of time for PF.
And they used Hiwatts - bonus!
[/quote]

My fave PF album!! Possibly...although Meddle is pretty crucial listening as well.
Nice to see another Ummagumma fan ..a somewhat overlooked album I feel.

BTW - I've always pronounced it to rhyme with 'drummer'. But some kids at my school used to insist it should be pronounced to rhyme with 'boomer'. What do you think?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1360875841' post='1977866']
My fave PF album!! Possibly...although Meddle is pretty crucial listening as well.
Nice to see another Ummagumma fan ..a somewhat overlooked album I feel.

BTW - I've always pronounced it to rhyme with 'drummer'. But some kids at my school used to insist it should be pronounced to rhyme with 'boomer'. What do you think?
[/quote]

I bought it cos around that time there was an excellent music programme on TV (17 parts!); "All You Need Is Love" (sounds familiar :huh: ) which is now out on DVD but I haven't got around to getting it yet.
It had PF doing "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" live at Pompeii - and I just had to have that track - it's immense!

The TV prog also had Hendrix playing Blackpool Opera House on it, with a load of audience banter going on before Wild Thing (a neighbour of mine was at the gig & has all 3 Experience autographs).

I've always pronounced both parts like "gum" of the chewing variety. :unsure:

I bought Ummagumma and Meddle because I had a tape I recorded off the radio of either John Peel or Bob Harris introducing them possibly at Miada Vale with the BBC concert orchestra? Atom Heart Mother, Set the controls to the heart of the sun, several small animals etc.

No idea where that tape is now. Probably get it on line somewhere now. :D

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1360882874' post='1978014']
I bought Ummagumma and Meddle because I had a tape I recorded off the radio of either John Peel or Bob Harris introducing them possibly at Miada Vale with the BBC concert orchestra? Atom Heart Mother, Set the controls to the heart of the sun, several small animals etc.

No idea where that tape is now. Probably get it on line somewhere now. :D
[/quote]

Not among the BBC sessions releases?
Got "Set The Controls" on now on the headphones; I don't do dope, but it must be a real head-f' listening to this "under the influence".

edit: the vocals at the end of "Saucerful of Secrets" to the drums & keys! DAMN!!!
This is going on repeat, pass the Jack!

Edited by Big_Stu