Why become a member? ×

FS/FT Les evans Custom 6 Olive wood/Bubinga £1750 or trade for quality 5er

alembic1989

Up for sale is my Les Evans 6..I've owned it for a while now..its a beauty.
Les is based in Liverpool I believe, and one built to this spec would now cost you in excess of £3500.
I am asking £1750 or best offer.
Pick ups are EMG's, preamp is John East (18v).
The build quality is in the same league as Fodera.
looking for trades...if you have a Schack Carbonite...5 string...or another boutique 5 preferably fretless 5
Try me you never know.
Check the pics,,its amazing in looks and sounds.[attachment=126809:DSCF9085_1.jpg][attachment=126810:DSCF9086_1.jpg][attachment=126811:DSCF9087_1.jpg][attachment=126812:DSCF9089_1.jpg][attachment=126813:DSCF9050.jpg]

Edited by alembic1989

I have no affiliation with the seller but having played this when Les had it in for service a few years back I can say with confidence that this bass is simply stunning. I don't think Les is building anymore but, having owned three Les Evans basses I'd have to say that they are on a par with anything I've ever played. The build quality is superb and his eye for detail (look at the fingerboard, the partial recessing of the control knobs etc.) elevated some of his builds to works of art. I also had the same combination of EMGs and East preamp (looks like a u-retro?) on a couple of the basses Les made for me and they sounded lovely. On this occasion the claim of Fodera league build quality is [b]not[/b] seller's hyperbole - this bass is worth every penny of the seller's asking price and I would humbly suggest it might actually represent something of a bargain. I know I sound like I'm going over the top but when I saw this is Les's workshop I must have spent about ten minutes just looking at it before it even occurred to me to play it! This will make someone a very, very happy bunny.

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1360054146' post='1963969']
I have no affiliation with the seller but having played this when Les had it in for service a few years back I can say with confidence that this bass is simply stunning. I don't think Les is building anymore but, having owned three Les Evans basses I'd have to say that they are on a par with anything I've ever played. The build quality is superb and his eye for detail (look at the fingerboard, the partial recessing of the control knobs etc.) elevated some of his builds to works of art. I also had the same combination of EMGs and East preamp (looks like a u-retro?) on a couple of the basses Les made for me and they sounded lovely. On this occasion the claim of Fodera league build quality is [b]not[/b] seller's hyperbole - this bass is worth every penny of the seller's asking price and I would humbly suggest it might actually represent something of a bargain. I know I sound like I'm going over the top but when I saw this is Les's workshop I must have spent about ten minutes just looking at it before it even occurred to me to play it! This will make someone a very, very happy bunny.
[/quote]

I don't know you..but a big thank you!

Glad someone knows for sure that I'm not exaggerating...thanks again Mr Bass Culture.

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1360060670' post='1964086']
I don't know you..but a big thank you!

Glad someone knows for sure that I'm not exaggerating...thanks again Mr Bass Culture.
[/quote]

You're welcome. Seriously, if I could get my fingers round any more than 4 strings you'd already have the money and we'd be discussing delivery details! I absolutely loved this bass. I've often thought about commissioning another LE bass but I've lost contact with Les in recent years and have not been able to get an answer on the old land line number I have for him. He's s top guy, though not the most business-minded, which ultimately probably did for him in terms of being able to make a go of it. I'd dearly love to contact him again, if you or anyone else had his details. Best of luck with your sale.

This used to be mine! It is a awesome bass.
Les built me a few bases back in the day before he retired. I bought his equipment and have started [url="http://www.13guitarco.com"]http://www.13guitarco.com[/url] under his tutelage.
I have a build thread on this forum.
A fine example of a fretless bass with all the growl and mwah you could want. It also has some major carving on the bottom bout of the bass.
I should try and pry les out of retirement to build a few basses in my workshop.
Good luck with the sale.

[quote name='paulflan0151' timestamp='1361666014' post='1989166']
This used to be mine! It is a awesome bass.
Les built me a few bases back in the day before he retired. I bought his equipment and have started [url="http://www.13guitarco.com"]http://www.13guitarco.com[/url] under his tutelage.
I have a build thread on this forum.
A fine example of a fretless bass with all the growl and mwah you could want. It also has some major carving on the bottom bout of the bass.
I should try and pry les out of retirement to build a few basses in my workshop.
Good luck with the sale.
[/quote]
nice one Paul..I had if fretted...it is a great bass..I have another 6 er..got into 6 ers because I thought I'd like soloing in the upper ranges...the truth is I prefer 4/5 ers.
Great to meet the original owner..I got in touch with Les a few years back looking for an insurance quote..he told me that it would cost £3-4000 to build another...and of course £20 for a quote :-)

Ah, didn't see it had been fretted. I'm sure it still rocks.

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1361706060' post='1989417']
the truth is I prefer 4/5 ers.[/quote]

The same with me. I play 4 stringers now, shame I couldn't have worked that out before buying a few custom 5/6/7 string basses :blush:

A 6 string fan would love this bass, it is a true master piece. Good luck with the sale.

[quote name='Ted59' timestamp='1361957220' post='1993487']
Hi. Interested in trade with this bass?
[url="http://www.basses-lkah.fr/basses.php?no=26"]http://www.basses-lk...asses.php?no=26[/url]
[/quote]
Hi Ted,
what are those pick ups?..who made them?
are they single coils or humbuckers?
cheers
Raj

Hi Raj.
The pick up are humbucker, the producer of this pick up is Rough Crysta.
This marvellous pick up are installed on Lefay Basses, Ritter bass and Basslab Basses (so, wa are talking about high end basses).
Electronics is Aguilar obp 3 with mid push-pull swicth frenquency.