Why become a member? ×

Remove please.

Antiloco

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1359847439' post='1961261']
People go crazy over mediocre players who are famous. This guy is playing his ass off and it's like "Eh, so what." That's human nature for ya.
[/quote]
I will honor your quote with my signature.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1359847439' post='1961261']
People go crazy over mediocre players who are famous. This guy is playing his ass off and it's like "Eh, so what." That's human nature for ya.
[/quote]

Well now, humans tend to go with what moves them. Inti is indeed playing with a lot of skill, nice expression and nuance, but it doesn't particularly MOVE me, I have heard most of the progessions, cadences and arrangement ideas before and without a singer to really give it a unique personality for me to get my teeth into, I don't get enough personality smacking me in the face and demanding me to listen. I don't really count the tiny bit of vocal at the end. Maybe songs with more vocal might entice me to listen.

I appreciate it takes skill and musicality to put this music together and play and record it. But musicological appreciation is not my bag anymore, if music doesn't move people then it's not going to get a reaction from them.

So, the fact Inti is playing his ass off should not mean that he is better or worse than someone playing a single note line with the requisite expression and sensitivity, and your comment regarding famous 'mediocre' bassists is a bit off really and entirely subjective. You don't get to be a famous bassist by demonstrating your amazing technical facility on your top line Fodera, you get there because you are a part of some MUSIC that a lot of people are MOVED by.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1359983419' post='1962841']
Subjectiveness, envy and laziness is and will always be the number one enemies of human evolution. You have to be open.
[/quote]

Agreed.

I wasn't having a go at you or your playing by the way, you are clearly a very good bassist and musician.

To Silldx

I see your point and I agree that in the end, it's about the music. But if someone were a competent player in a great band does that make them a great bassplayer? Or i she just a guy with a great gig who get the job done? That's what I'm talking about. I agree that the song the OP was playing didn't move me, but his playing was great. If this were a songwriting site, I'd have a few criticisms, but I was referring to his bass skills.

Edited by Lowender

As soon as you begin makin music for others you'll have to start compromising hence losin honesty. That's why I can't listen to the radio. All I hear are people begging for money. That's not the way music should be. The population need a better esthetical education. This music doesn't move you the same way fusion doesn't move a hip teenager. Fusion is way better than Justin Biever in every aspect, but this can't be understood by an untrained mind. The same person would also argue that Wagner is worthless to him and in a subjective world that would be valid. That's why Gangnam Style has most clicks...and not anything else. Beacause the general population is ignorant and resents growing.
But we cannot judge our moving forward as species on the subjectivities of untrained minds because that would lead us back to the nazis and the inquisition. Same goes for music of course, why not? I can't make music with " the people's taste" in mind. Not if I want to grow. Not if I want to be honest. Not if I love music. And don't forget that this piece (not a song, a song needs a special structure) was made by teenagers, we were inmature and had not much of a clue about music really.

Thanks for your feedback, it's very interesting.

Edited by Inti

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1360057969' post='1964025']
As soon as you begin makin music for others you'll have to start compromising hence losin honesty. That's why I can't listen to the radio. All I hear are people begging for money. That's not the way music should be. The population need a better esthetical education. This music doesn't move you the same way fusion doesn't move a hip teenager. Fusion is way better than Justin Biever in every aspect, but this can't be understood by an untrained mind. The same person would also argue that Wagner is worthless to him and in a subjective world that would be valid. That's why Gangnam Style has most clicks...and not anything else. Beacause the general population is ignorant and resents growing.
But we cannot judge our moving forward as species on the subjectivities of untrained minds because that would lead us back to the nazis and the inquisition. Same goes for music of course, why not? I can't make music with " the people's taste" in mind. Not if I want to grow. Not if I want to be honest. Not if I love music. And don't forget that this piece (not a song, a song needs a special structure) was made by teenagers, we were inmature and had not much of a clue about music really.

Thanks for your feedback, it's very interesting.
[/quote]

Well, I would take issue with one point -- I don't consider all commercial/popular music to be "compromising." More often than not, when people make music that is condescending to the audience, it doesn't work. And writing a catchy melody is as much of an artistic skill as anything else. Case in point, the Beatles were high art that were also the apex of popularity, as was Beethoven, Monet, Hemingway and Kubrick. I also don't think of complex music as superior. (I went through that stage). I think you're doing yourself a disservice thinking that ignoring what people like and just satisfying your own indulgence as admirable. And remember -- I'm the guy who said you can really play. But it's about using one's skills to communicate one's art.

Rule number one of any form of expression, be it writing, music, or filmmaking -- why should the person experiencing it care? If they don't -- it failed.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360081314' post='1964533']

Well, I would take issue with one point -- I don't consider all commercial/popular music to be "compromising." More often than not, when people make music that is condescending to the audience, it doesn't work. And writing a catchy melody is as much of an artistic skill as anything else. Case in point, the Beatles were high art that were also the apex of popularity, as was Beethoven, Monet, Hemingway and Kubrick. I also don't think of complex music as superior. (I went through that stage). I think you're doing yourself a disservice thinking that ignoring what people like and just satisfying your own indulgence as admirable. And remember -- I'm the guy who said you can really play. But it's about using one's skills to communicate one's art.

Rule number one of any form of expression, be it writing, music, or filmmaking -- why should the person experiencing it care? If they don't -- it failed.
[/quote]
I think you're wrong in one point there. I really couldn't care less about what ignorant people think. I will only listen and take to heart the opinion of someone that I judge to be superior to me in knowledge and skill, the rest is just interesting but not important. It's like asking me what I think about some advanced math stuff...I wouldn't have a clue, why should a mathematician care about my theories!?
Another thing: stating that you " have gone through that stage" as in " I'm bigger than that" is the same as saying you're still stuck in the same thought pattern as before. There are many different kinds of complexity besides moving your fingers well and fast. And a mature musician should respect simplicity and complexity equally.

Why would anyone even care about learning an instrument if music is just feeling? Romantic nonsense. You either can play or you can't and although I hate dream theater there's a reason why people get tired of sitting in a garage playing eight notes, theres a reason why people get tired of playing a major scale. Shure music is communication but never forget that the most important person you're communicating with is yourself.

People with the desire to grow find different ways to get better while the others just earn money and play cool like Lemmy. Always stuck. Always poor on the inside, not because they're bad but because they are not artists: they're entertainers.

Edited by Inti

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1360083433' post='1964592']
I think you're wrong in one point there. I really couldn't care less about what ignorant people think. I will only listen and take to heart the opinion of someone that I judge to be superior to me in knowledge and skill, the rest is just interesting but not important. It's like asking me what I think about some advanced math stuff...I wouldn't have a clue, why should a mathematician care about my theories!?

[color=#ff0000] But not everyone has to be a superior musician to have a valid opinion. I don't try to appeal to stupid people either but what makes you think your music appeals to intelligent people? I know smart people who like Lou Reed and Dumb people who like Chick Corea. It's just taste. (To a degree).[/color]

Another thing: stating that you " have gone through that stage" as in " I'm bigger than that" is the same as saying you're still stuck in the same thought pattern as before.

[color=#ff0000]That's putting words in my mouth. [/color]

[color=#ff0000].............................................[/color]

There are many different kinds of complexity besides moving your fingers well and fast. And a mature musician should respect simplicity and complexity equally.

[color=#ff0000]Agreed. [/color]

Why would anyone even care about learning an instrument if music is just feeling? Romantic nonsense. You either can play or you can't and although I hate dream theater there's a reason why people get tired of sitting in a garage playing eight notes, theres a reason why people get tired of playing a major scale.

[color=#ff0000]I agree with you on Dream Theater. No songs -- just riffs stuck together. [/color]

Shure music is communication but never forget that the most important person you're communicating with is yourself.

[color=#ff0000]I see the artist as the messenger. If all you care about is yourself, then don;t play for people. That's like painting a picture and putting it in the closet. If that's what you want to do, that's fine. [/color]

[color=#ff0000]......................................[/color]

People with the desire to grow find different ways to get better while the others just earn money and play cool like Lemmy. Always stuck.

[color=#ff0000]Disagree completely. Most bands that are just out to make money fail. Lemmy is popular not because he's great and not because he sold out but because he's speaking to an audience and he's honest in how he does it. [/color]
[color=#ff0000].....................................[/color]

Always poor on the inside, not because they're bad but because they are not artists: they're entertainers.

[color=#ff0000]All great art has entertainment value and all great entertainment has artistic value. Until you learn that you'll never be great at either. [/color]

[/quote]

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360085563' post='1964638']

[/quote]

That last statement was the most wicked thing I've read this week. Art is NOT entertainment. Art is creation, communication, beauty and self growth. Entertainment is for clowns and pole dancers and very possibly whores....but hey whatever floats your boat.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1360086075' post='1964646']
That last statement was the most wicked thing I've read this week. Art is NOT entertainment. Art is creation, communication, beauty and self growth. Entertainment is for clowns and pole dancers and very possibly whores....but hey whatever floats your boat.
[/quote]

You couldn't be more wrong. And that mistake will hinder your musicianship. Art most certainly entertains. Bach's music was written as entertainment and has continued to do so for centuries. Michaelangelo, Miles, Picasso, -- all hugely popular. You'd call them clowns and whores?

Art is self growth? I can experience self growth by trying to do as many pushups as possible, but I wouldn't call that art.

You also contradicted yourself when you said art is communication. It isn't communication if no one is listening.