Why become a member? ×

New Bass - Should I?

garythebass

Here’s the thing…

I have a big birthday coming up this year, and also a bit of a need for some retail therapy.

I’ve gotten rid of my GAS for amps and cabs, and don’t use effects any more.

If I’m honest, I don’t really have [i]GAS [/i]for a new bass, more that I just fancy treating myself.

A while ago I bought a Status Energy 4, just to see how I got on with it (in particular the graphite neck). I really liked it.

I don’t [i]need[/i] anything better, as I don’t gig anywhere near as much as I used to.

If I do get a new bass it will likely be the last instrument I will ever buy, so I was thinking of a new S2 Classic so that I could spec it to exactly what I want.

I appreciate they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but they are mine, so don’t try to talk me into another make!

I’m very fortunate that the money isn’t a huge issue, as I can cover a lot of it by offloading stuff that’s surplus to requirements and cluttering the place up.

If I order one soon I could get it delivered for my birthday, which would be good.

The question is – do I or don’t I?

Would my modest use be a waste of a good instrument, or is it OK just to want something for the sake of owning a nice thing?

Your valued opinions please… :)

[quote name='garythebass' timestamp='1359721602' post='1959297']
If I’m honest, I don’t really have [i]GAS [/i]for a new bass, more that I just fancy treating myself.
[/quote]

If you don't really want it, why bother? Why not spend the money on something/doing something you really want? For the cost of those instruments you could go on a nice holiday?

On the other hand if "money isn't a huge issue" then why not.

Edit - I realise that this is a voting situation so I'm going to have to vote with what I'd do. So in this case I'd go with no. I also realise that this will probably not be the prevailing opinion

Edited by rOB

If you taken the trouble of posting a topic on this forum then i can't believe that you're actually serious about not having GAS.

A new instrument is always a motive for inspiration and a new bass ariving for your big date and made with specs chosen by you will bring you renewed joy in playing. I say, if you can afford it and if it will make you happy then go for it. If you feel bad about having too much basses for what you're playing just sell the old ones ;)

If money is not a huge problem then I say go for it, - and you'll be contributing to the British economy + as someone mentioned earlier they tend to keep their value better than boutique or custom build basses, should you need to off-load it.

Best (or i should say most playable and comfortable) bass i've ever had was a Status S2 Classic 6 string headless, only parted with it as I just didn't need a high C and I love my Fenders now...although they are pretty agricultural by comparison.

As others have said, if you are lucky enough to have the cash on the hip then go for it.

You will only regret it, almost bought a brand new Warwick Katana a few years ago for a hefty price, I had the money in my pocket and was in love.

Convinced myself I didn't need it and have regretted it ever since. She was an ugly old heffer but my god the tone was like nothing else.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1359741259' post='1959773']
"Probably the last bass I will ever buy" filed under "never drinking again" and "I swear thats the last time I am sleeping with her" :D
[/quote]
:D :D :D
I know it sounds implausible, but, honest!
I had my Wal for twenty-odd years up until I had to sell it a couple of years ago.
I'm a creature of habit, really! :)

[attachment=126593:images.jpeg]
I'm sure if you were rational about many things, you would not buy anything. Once you have one bass, I would argue that any other is a want and not a need so don't even consider trying to justify it. Clearly as you state you can afford to buy it and even if you never gig with it, you will undoubtedly enjoy owning it so just do it. A few years ago on a birthday ending in "0" I treated myself to a lovely guitar. It's only been on two gigs but it is just what I wanted.
Life is too short and with the interest rate in the bank being so dreadful what are you gonna lose?

Jazzyvee