Why become a member? ×

peavey mk 3/4

thunderider

still on my journey to tonal nirvana,finding hybrids/tubes dont go down low enough cleanly,so solid state are the way!! i need some thing thats clean at half,the laney does but brakes up early cranking,i want more head room just in case i need it,was looking at these as they pretty cheap,was also looking at deltas,firebirds may be a little too big!! any veiws oppinions on these?

My Peavey MK IV head is ridiculously loud through some GS112's. I easily matched a DJ's low frequency output when we shared a gig, while not pushing my volume control above 3 1/2. THe secret is to read the instruction manual, which recommends setting the final output volume on full and adjusting the gain to suit.

Check out the Peavey Mk III + IV appreciation thread around here.

My first bass rig, when I started playing again in 2000, was a MkIV Series 400 through Peavey 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. The amp was quite heavy and built like a tank. Got many comments about how good it sounded. It finally died when the power supply quit on me during a rehearsal but it must have 20 years old at that point, so pretty good going all in all.

Definitely loud enough and had plently of tone shaping options.

I bought a GK rig (700RB II with a RBH410 cab) after that and I have to say it blew the Peavey away in terms of power, tone and managing the low end generally - fab :)

I used to have a Peavey Mark VI head into 2 x 4x10s back in the 90's, it was insanely loud and built like a tank.
The Peavey sound can be very aggressive, think Billy Gould from Faith No More, he's used Peavey pretty much his whole career.
Maybe have a look for a Peavey ProBass head, a more recent high end Peavey head, little more compact and pumped out 500W at 2 Ohms...

Scoop on here has one.

Eude

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1358879452' post='1946496']
peavey tours any good?
[/quote]

They're not too bad but quite have the same magic of the older models, the Peavey tone is still there but to my ear they're not as gutsy.
They can be had for a bit of a steal though...