Why become a member? ×

Volume Mod from Stewmac

yorks5stringer

When I played guitar I had this mod fitted (PRSs come with it as standard BTW) and found it useful as I would turn them down to 7 to clean the tone up and then turn up for solos. However, on my basses I always run them wide open unless doing a fade out/swell in. If you run your volume not wide open and find it muddy then it would work. It will actually add a bit of treble if it reacts the same way as on a guitar. Great suggestion by neepheid about the croc clips for testing. It's a cheap enough mod, give it a go.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1359069995' post='1949596']
We play bass. The mod retains treble. Why?
[/quote]

Because there's nothing wrong with a bit of top end sizzle being available. You can always dial it out, but you can't fabricate it.

You'll prob need to experiment with different R / C values for bass and dependent on pickup(s) and value of the volume potentiometer.
Unless you really need to use the volume control on the bass it's much more predictable to use the amplifier or mixing desk level controls.

I've had a look for the article I found that modified this circuit (its basically the Fender Greasebucket circuit) for Bass guitar but I can't find it! I don't have the bass I did this to any more either but I think what Protium has done sounds about right. Basically you don't need as much treble preserved as with a guitar so its about changing the resistor and capacitor to a lower value to lessen the effect. I did find that Fender use the same cirvuit in bass and guitar though so you probably can't go too wrong with that - you could experiment with the values though to see what you like. As I recall I bought lots of capacitors and resistors and tried a few different ones out.