Why become a member? ×

Too Much Power?

lastnotleast

As with most things, the advent of the serial effects loop is probably marketing driven, a "we have this and they don't" sort of thing.

After lugging my kit down a flight of stairs to play a private party in someone's home last evening, I have decied to the D class - small & lightwight.
Discuss a bit for me the Ampeg, Ibanez Gallien-Kruger. TC Electronics. Kustom and Genz Benz. The last being another prouct with which I am unfamilar.
Keep a limited budget in mind, please. I [i]will [/i]spend more if worthwhile but, ordinarily, I want to say in the $200 to $300 range.

[quote name='lastnotleast' timestamp='1358770527' post='1944592']
You don't get off that easy! Current rate of exchange; 1.00 U.S Dollar = 0.63 British Pound Sterling

The Promethan looks good except it has no effects loop for my DI-100/Sonic Maximiser.
[/quote]

I'm afraid it's not that simple. AFAIK, alot of gear prices are 'inflated' in the EU (not sure why, possibly to cover the overheads of shipping etc.). So it is difficult to tell you what would be within your budget, because the prices we pay for gear often won't be what you pay.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1358549422' post='1941402']
This was more or less demonstrated by their "6000W" amp which, if it actually produced that power running from UK mains, would have to operate at 200% efficiency. ;)
[/quote]

What makes you say that? And what about other amps in that power range and above? And before you ask, yes I've done the math.

On topic, we have a Behringer mixer that seems ok, but I wouldn't want any in my rig. Stuff has a bad reputation for being unreliable. Get a better head second hand, those GKs last forever, so do Peavey!

I use an Ampeg pf500 , bought from the classifieds on here, I kind of bought it as a back up to a warwick profet 3.2 , but find I use it as my main kit.
I was always skeptical of behringer stuff , but my experience of seeing 2 old ep2500 power amps being thrown about (dropped off sack trucks etc) and condensated to scarily dripping levels , yet putting out the goods on the PA just amazes me . I worry now though that just saying that might just be the curse that sees them off :(

ed to alter a potential infection into a term of suspicion :rolleyes:

Edited by lurksalot

I lierally stumbled across a Gallien Kuger Backline 600 for $150.00.
Searching desperately for a perhaps second hand Ampeg. a shopper bot coughed up the GK at, of all places, Guitar Center.
Located in Commack, NY, I paid $12.50 to have it shipped to my local GC in Columbus, OH and was nicked $10.00 for sales tax.

I am very excited to use it on my next gig and hope that it functions properly so that I will not be disappointed.
Next item on my acquisition agenda is either a 2x10 or 4x10 speaker cabinet.
There is a GK BLX-II 2x10 currently available on my local Craigs List for $125.00 but I am a bit leary this lower end product.

Speak to me o ye who have knowledge to share.