Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

Len - if you can get the bass to Derby Assembly rooms today between say 3pm and 7pm then I'm happy to take up the challenge!
Am playing with The ELO Experience tonight, but probably won't be able to use it there. However, I can use it next
Thursday at my regular residency in Cottingham near Hull with country rock band The Fork Handles.
Let me know mate, and will PM you my details so we can arrange it - cheers.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1368263642' post='2074993']
Len - if you can get the bass to Derby Assembly rooms today between say 3pm and 7pm then I'm happy to take up the challenge!
Am playing with The ELO Experience tonight, but probably won't be able to use it there. However, I can use it next
Thursday at my regular residency in Cottingham near Hull with country rock band The Fork Handles.
Let me know mate, and will PM you my details so we can arrange it - cheers.
[/quote]

It so needs to be used with The ELO Experience :-P

Okay people, I've just emailed The Sun and I'll continue to do some of the other papers too. For those wishing to contact their own local papers, here's what I've sent the Sun. Feel free to copy/paste and edit as you wish.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1368264307' post='2075004']
[size=3][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Sir/Madam,

Hopefully this story is of some interest to you.

I am currently participating in a country wide relay race, for Cancer Research UK. It's a "relay race" in the traditional sense, but with a twist. In this instance, the "baton" is a bass guitar. More specifically, my very first bass guitar.

Though bizarre, the concept is simple. All of the participants are part of an online web forum (though it's more of a community) called basschat (www.basschat.co.uk). Basschat is the largest online community of bassists and bass enthusiasts outside of the states.

Once members from the site have stated they'd like to participate, the relay goes as follows.

1. Member receives the bass, photo is taken as proof for possible Guinness World Record attempt.
2. Holding member uses the bass. This can be at a gig, live studio performance, web show/youtube review, etc anything but practicing at home. Whist using the bass, promote the cause, try and raise money via the "justgiving" page, text donations or through the collection boxes accompanying the bass. Picture must be taken as proof.
3. Next user/member is organised/arranged and the cycle starts again.

We only started this in February, we're only on the 11th user so far, and we're only around the £300. However, considering this is a country-wide event (with interest to include Europe), and that the bass' location is a huge deciding factor in how it progresses, we haven't done too bad as of yet.

Hopefully this is something that will interest you and if so, feel free to ask any questions and I am able to provide web links, photos and QR codes.

Kind Regards,[/font][/size]

[/quote]

How's that?

Edited by Jimryan

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1368264307' post='2075004']
It so needs to be used with The ELO Experience :-P
[/quote]

I know Jim, but a lot of theatres can be a bit snotty when it comes to charity collections etc.
If I get the baton I'll do my best - maybe use it for the encore 'Mr Blue Sky'!!

Letter is fine by the way!

Edited by casapete

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1368264887' post='2075010']
I know Jim, but a lot of theatres can be a bit snotty when it comes to charity collections etc.
If I get the baton I'll do my best - maybe use it for the encore 'Mr Blue Sky'!!

Letter is fine by the way!
[/quote]

I imagine so, would be a cool claim though.

Glad the letter meets approval. It's just been sent to the sun, the star, the mail and i.

I've also just messaged Jason at rotosound again.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1368265752' post='2075023']
I imagine so, would be a cool claim though.

Glad the letter meets approval. It's just been sent to the sun, the star, the mail and i.

I've also just messaged Jason at rotosound again.
[/quote]

I wish I had that kind of focus!

Oh look, a squirrel! :D

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1368251336' post='2074878']
I played the baton for the whole gig, personally I think this 'one song' business is a bit of a wimp-out.
[/quote]

Nice one!

You're probably right :P I use three different tunings in my cover band, and I chose to put the baton in Eb so that I was only using it on two songs. I'm a bit fussy about low action so it was a bit of a copout :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1368277563' post='2075208']
Nice one!

You're probably right :P I use three different tunings in my cover band, and I chose to put the baton in Eb so that I was only using it on two songs. I'm a bit fussy about low action so it was a bit of a copout :lol:
[/quote]
I was transporting the PA (bass player, transporting the PA? Whatever next! :rolleyes: ) Chris, so I didn't have a lot of space left over for a second bass anyway! CasaPete, sorry mate I had to leave first thing Saturday to get to my brother-in-law's wedding in Richmond Park. A bit of a hectic morning but there was a free bar to make up for the hassle.

No probs Len, was a long shot at such short notice anyway! Am still up for a go with the baton when it reaches Yorkshire, so now guess its up to Midlands BCers to keep it moving?
Cheers, Pete.

Edited by casapete

For those that haven't seen the FB page, Jason How has agreed to sort us out with some strings for the relay. I believe he's sending some stickers too so we can have some on the bass and case. If anyone has any luck with their local press/media, could you please give roto a mention.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1368470377' post='2077499']
Well done everyone, we've just hit £467 on the justgiving page. What are the chances of us hitting £500 by the end of the day?
[/quote] Time for the baton to move on ladies and gentlemen. Who's next?

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1368548930' post='2078385']
Someone in Derbys./Notts. want the baton next?

If I still have it over the Whitsun Bank Holiday (May 24-27) I'll be off to Anglesey! Anyone there?
[/quote]

Would be good if someone playing at Bearded Theory in Derby could play the baton this weekend!

[url="http://www.beardedtheory.co.uk/"]http://www.beardedtheory.co.uk[/url]

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1368619937' post='2079237']
Wow, I winder what that could be. Are you invitded on to The One Show or will the bass make an appearance on Later with Dave Swift using it on a song?
[/quote]

I think it's going to be bigger and better than that :D

[quote name='Gazm' timestamp='1368619025' post='2079211']
Would be good if someone playing at Bearded Theory in Derby could play the baton this weekend!

[url="http://www.beardedtheory.co.uk/"]http://www.beardedtheory.co.uk[/url]
[/quote] Great thought Pete. The venue for the festival is literally a mile from my house, which is where the baton currently resides. So, who's having it next? Is everyone hanging back waiting for the freebies and glory? Or do people not gig as often as they like to pretend? :ph34r: :D .....Jim is doing a brilliant job on this - let's keep it moving!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1368621450' post='2079269']
Great thought Pete. The venue for the festival is literally a mile from my house, which is where the baton currently resides. So, who's having it next? Is everyone hanging back waiting for the freebies and glory? Or do people not gig as often as they like to pretend? :ph34r: :D .....Jim is doing a brilliant job on this - let's keep it moving!
[/quote]

Indeed - No point waiting for the goodies, a lot of companies can be pretty slow at sending stuff out when they aren't exactly being paid for it.

I've sent a message to a guy I know who's playing at the festival.
Dunno if he's a member on here or not but they have 2 bass players!

[url="http://bbblackdog.net/"]http://bbblackdog.net/[/url]

Here's an interesting one that could turn out to be quite fun.

There's a thread in OT about "Jim'll paint it". I've wanted to write in with an idea, but had a thought.

I'll ask him if he can feature the relay in one. So it'd be a gig, I know the idea, as a group effort, what else could the proposal feature?

It'll need a venue, crowd and obscurities.

Answers on the back of a postcard to "reply to thread box" at the bottom of the page.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368640164' post='2079641']
Panda's, dancing to Like a Virgin by Madonna, whilst trying to eat a meatball sub from subway (tricky at the best of times).

Is that obscure enough?
[/quote]

In a word...yes