Why become a member? ×

Buttons, menus and frustration

dincz

I don't use effects much so this is not exactly an effects question - but not really an amp question either.

I use a channel strip to drive a power amp and I love the range of tone I can get from it. 4 band eq including lo-mid and hi-mid parametric. I also have a Behringer V-Amp which also gives a good range of tone control and the added advantage of having programmable presets. What I don't like about the V-Amp is the lack of dedicated physical controls for every parameter - I have to delve into the menu to get at them whereas the channel strip allows me to reach for a knob and instantly tweak the tone.

I guess the same would apply to most if not all multi-effects. For example, the Zoom B3 looks like a very capable box of tricks but has even fewer dedicated knobs than the V-Amp. Maybe I'm just too old school, having grown up with all-analogue gear with a separate knob for each parameter.

Is it just me and is there anything that would offer the best of both worlds?

I'm not certain I get what 'both worlds' you want the best of?

If I understand correctly you are looking for options of having a single unit which will act as your preamp as well as offering a range of effects, but one which is either analogue or at the very least has an analogue approach with easy on-the-fly adjustment (like the knob per function you mention) and no real need to access menu's etc...?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1358097264' post='1933057']
analogue approach with easy on-the-fly adjustment (like the knob per function you mention) and no real need to access menu's etc...?
[/quote]

That's pretty much the ideal - programmable presets as well as on-the-fly adjustment. Effects aren't really important for me.

If effects are of little importance, what do you want to achieve from something that your current set up doesn't? Or maybe, a better question would be is what parts of the V-Amp do you use that you'd like to access without a menu?

You mention its 'tone shaping' which would imply EQ and filters, but also say that the 'channel strip' had an EQ you like. Do you just need an amp with a more comprehensive EQ section on the front? There are lots of them about! Or maybe a great rack EQ unit to replace your V-Amp, something like Dave Hall's rack for some tube tone and great EQ - http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page47.html.

Shep

A picture is worth a thousand words so here are the front panel controls on the channel strip:

[IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u493/dincz/LA1_zps31f3714a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u493/dincz/LA2_zpsb664d9bd.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u493/dincz/LA3_zpsee6a638d.jpg[/IMG]

The EQ section offers pretty much everything I could wish for but of course the analogue controls aren't programmable.

The V-Amp, although it's programmable, doesn't allow the same range of control.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1358104489' post='1933226']
So what exactly do you want on top of what the channel strip already give you? It's looks like quite a comprehensive EQ section.
[/quote]

Yes, the EQ is great but would be even greater if I could hit a footswitch to select a preset combination of EQ settings. (Imagine motorised pots and a midi interface!)

Edited by dincz

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1358105232' post='1933252']
What about something like the programmable Sansamp? Floor unit, 6 presets you can store (or 3 per instrument if you use 2 inputs) and big fat knobs to tweak of it doesn't sound right!

[url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdlx.html"]http://www.tech21nyc...sdriverdlx.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips - much appreciated and sorry if I'm wasting your time. The programmable Sansamp gets close [i]in principle[/i] to what I'm after but the lack of a mid EQ isn't ideal. I've played around with a BDI21 (which does pretty much what the BDDI does?) and found the EQ a bit limited.

I'm probably dreaming of something that doesn't exist :(

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1358107252' post='1933299']
Boss EQ-20? 9 storable banks that you can scroll through with your feet, plus graphic sliders to tweak the called up patch on the fly!
[/quote]

That's impressive! But (there's always a but) I'd love to be able to put it on top of my amp at a comfortable tweaking height and select patches with an external footswitch. A great option would be modular construction so the footswitch section could be split from the (optionally rack-mountable) processor box.

I think you are looking at digital units like the one you have or a midi based system with a floor unit.

At the end of the day analogue units are unlikely to have external control boards an digital units are rarely made with an analogue-style interface. If you want knobs and tweak ability then the pedal units are the only ones I think that will offer you that (as they are designed primarily for stage live use). A rack system will generally have MUCH more in the way of features an as such involve more menus, which while they may have floor switching options, will inevitably be less tweak-able on the fly. It makes little sense for a manufacturer to make a more limited unit when they have the technology to put together some thing more advanced that covers much more - as you've found with your V-amp.

Hopefully you'll find a solution. I'd really suggest trying the EQ-20, its a great pedal.

Can't add much to what Shep has already said but as well as the EQ-20 I'd consider the Source Audio EQ pedal too, not quite the same level of control of presets but still a great pedal and a bit smaller.

Just had another thought! The closest I could imagine you getting to what you want is rack mounting an EQ-20 that's been modded with an additional jack to step through presets (analogman at least used to do this)

Edited by simwells

Thanks for all the suggestions. There certainly is some nice kit around but each seems to lack one thing or another.

Strangely enough, I'm coming to the conclusion that the humble V-Bass as a programmable preamp is probably as near as I'm likely to find - and has the added advantage that I've already got one. The quality of the effects is another matter but that's not a priority anyway.

Why not just get a TC 750 head, it has the ability to store presets and the knobs at hand to change parameters. You could get rid of the channel strip, Vamp, and power amp for a unit with a fraction of the size/weight. Later you could add a multifx unit for FX. It's all a mather of knowing if the kind of sounds the TC would offer are suitable to your needs. It has a pedal for changing presets ;)