Why become a member? ×

Hello From the Spirit of 1978

Dr_Bass

Hiya folks,
I'm new here, but had a bass guitar in my life since 1978. I started with a short scale Fender Musicman and have been playing a variety of long and short scale beasts ever since. I've been bass player for the Space Rock/Experimental outfit THE RIDERS OF DISCORD since 1979 and we are celebrating 34 years of making a god awful racket by trying to get something online.

Currently playing a Yamaha 5 string, Aria Acoustic Bass and my vintage CSL Jazz (with original 30 year old black plastic coated strings .. those damn things never need replacing!!!!)

Looking forward to meeting more of the Bass Obsessed of the World.

When they reached the 10 year stage and appeared to have no audible loss in quality (kept comparing them to old recordings) it became something of a game to see how long they would last. Sadly the E string is beginning to thin at the machinehead, but they still sound pretty amazing. I am now looking for another set of polymer coated strings to replace them .. see if I can't get another few decades between string changes!
Hawkwind, yes ... we worshipped at that altar many times. Steve Hillage as well (though more in the funky vein!)

Six strings! Whew ... I am still getting my head around the fun of having that Low B string on my 5 string. It will a while before 6 strings tempts me too much!

Welcome, Dr, from the spirit of 1978 (as in - disco fan) and the spirit of the 80s and early 90s (as in - trad metal fan). And 34 years in a band is unfeasibly cool! Join the fun on here, this is a great community.

PS If you're near London, you might like to come to the London Bass Guitar Show in March, Megadeth's David Ellefson is one of the guests!