Why become a member? ×

soul searching band dilemma

SpaceChick

Don't know if anyone is interested but thought I'd provide an update :P

1. The originals band - when we spoke, it became apparent that we were looking for different things musically. They were hoping to be able to jack in their jobs and tour, get signed etc (to be honest, I think whilst their music is good they are a bit delusional as who signs alternative rock bands in their 30s to an extent where they can quit their day jobs!)

2. The covers band I mentioned in my first post..... Turns out they are just getting off the ground, and whilst they sound nice people, I have a fear it may be out of the frying pan and into the fire!

So I have spoken to a few more people ;)

1. A covers band looking to be ready to do the summer season at holiday camps locally (joys of living by the coast).... OMG!!!! This bloke was a complete and utter control freak!!! I phoned him during a lunch break in work, told him I had 10 mins to have an initial chat. 30 mins later, he was still telling me what his expectations were of me and how much commitment he expected.... So far it was just him and he was looking for the rest of HIS band.... No sh*t Sherlock!!..... Try making it a team pursuit!! I emailed him to withdraw my interest :lol:

2. A covers band, 3 piece, decided they wanted to try new things musically. They'd been using dep drummers, and the bassist had decided he wanted to return to keyboards, so they were looking for a bassist and a drummer. So far I've had 3 telephone conversations with the lead guitarist, emails of sets have been exchanged and it is sounding positive. Even more positive is that my drummer wants to come too :D I'm a little apprehensive, as apparently the keys is sh*t hot on the bass, and I'm still very much in the early stages of developing my craft. However, what I do know is that my drummer and I are tight. Also they are looking at input into the set, so I'm hoping I can wangle in a few tracks from the old band. We have a rehearsal with them a week today :D

As for my old band, drummer and I have decided we are going to tell them that we are putting the band on hold until after the rhythm guitarist is recovered from his operation. At that time (probably a good 6 months time at least) we will see if people still want to get together. If they do, we are hoping (if things go well next week) that we will be gigging with the new band and rehearsing less, so we could do both. If they have all lost interest then that's cool too.

I'm hoping this is a good sign, and I am delighted that me and my drummer are going together as we do have such a rapport and work well together :D

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1358842228' post='1945774']
I'm a little apprehensive, as apparently the keys is sh*t hot on the bass, and I'm still very much in the early stages of developing my craft.
[/quote]

Don't worry. That's code for can play a million notes in a bar, none of them in time or in keeping with the tune. Just watch he doesn't try to play his 'funky' bass lines on his keyboard and tread all over your tasteful solid playing. ;)

Have fun, that's what's important :)

Whilst all this is going on, I'd perhaps do a few other things as well -

Keep Mr SpaceChik 'in the loop', sounds like he's reasonably supportive anyway, but keep him up to date, aware of what you're trying to achieve and
on your side, and maybe even actively assisting

You and drummer make a find additional members and set your own band up, doing what you want to do.
(Invariably takes time and you could be investigating other things at the same time)

Get out there - check out any Open Mics, Jam Nights, etc. to give you the opportunity to play live sooner rather than later and get yourself better known locally

g

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358935791' post='1947178']
I disagree that if you don't get gigging quickly you never will. My band rehearsed for 18 months before we even thought about gigging---although, to be fair, we did start out as just three guys who wanted to make a racket in a rehearsal room...
[/quote]

But that's the thing. If you set out to gig, and that's what you are aiming for... and spend 6 months trying to get to a giggable standard without success... then something is very wrong.

If you're just doing it for fun and don't have a particular aim, that's another thing.
I have been in bands that had no intention of gigging, and it was ok. Some were just recording projects and an excuse to get together and make noise :)
The bands that started with the idea of bringing the music to a stage, did not take very long once the band members were set.

Well last night was the band try out with a new band for me and my drummer.

We had both got quite excited by it, with no good reason!!

We had been given 7 songs.... I had learned the basslines in detail for 4, the other 3 I had worked a rough bassline around the chords.... nothing spectacular but enough to support the song.

They ended up throwing another 7 songs at us, 3 of which I had never heard! I fumbled around by watching the guitarists chords and playing mostly root notes to start until I got a feel for where the song was going then I embellished.

My poor drummer friend, they didn't really acknowledge him AT ALL... he may just as well have been a drum machine. I found this incredibly rude (and if I'm honest it upset me a bit)

The keyboard player (who is also a bassist), was supportive, showing me a few basslines by playing my bass - and in fairness he was sh*t hot! exponentially better than me, but I was picking up what he was showing me quickly and getting the hang of it for a song (they were aware that I am very much still learning my craft). The singer had moments of loveliness, but the rest of the time was aloof. The lead guitarist really thought that he was significantly better than he actually was.

In fairness, the whole operation was sloppy, it seemed it was one talent (the keyboard player) and some friends with egos bigger than their ability.

The stinger was at the end of the night when the lead guitarist said "you are the second bassist we have seen, we are seeing another one and will let you know if you have been successful by the end of the week. we will also confirm about drums as we are seeing some other people". There was no thought to question if WE had enjoyed working with THEM... his arrogance had assumed we would want to join!!!!!

Needless to say, my drummer friend and I have decided to pass!!

We chatted together afterwards to plan our next steps.... we just need a better singer and we could be good to go with our original band. And at least whilst we have had some illness problems there isn't an ego amongst us, and we do all enjoy getting together and playing.

I also finally admitted to the drummer how long I'd been a bassist.... he said that over time he has guessed that I hadn't been playing that long when I started as he has seen a massive improvement in my playing which shows someone who has been eagerly learning!! He was shocked to discover it was only 2 months when I joined and only 8 months now! LOL!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1359538049' post='1956167']
The lead guitarist really thought that he was significantly better than he actually was.
[/quote]

Interesting. I've never come across that attitude before.... :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359541195' post='1956211']

Seriously though, there's a lot of it about! You did the right thing. :)
[/quote]

I know, I mean, its all about having fun.... and when you can tell you won't have fun, don't do it.... simple!

I hope we can resolve something with the old band.

Uncle psychosis - you have given me hope!

in saying that, when Peter (drummer) said to the others that we were looking at another band and were thinking of ditching our current band, I think it gave some of them the kick up the arse they needed, as they seemed rather unhappy that our little group would be over ;)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1359541738' post='1956223']
...when Peter (drummer) said to the others that we were looking at another band and were thinking of ditching our current band, I think it gave some of them the kick up the arse they needed, as they seemed rather unhappy that our little group would be over...
[/quote]

That's a good sign.

Funny enough, I've just come off the phone from the lead guitarist!

I said that we had decided they weren't for us, and he basically said they were planning on looking for another bassist and drummer that was "nearer their skills so they could gig sooner".... LOL!!! It has in equal parts cracked me up (with their own delusions of talent) and pissed me off that he was such a patronising bastard!!! Gosh, my drummer has been playing semi-professionally for 40 years, he's played the Cavern club, he has another band where they do corporate gigs playing £800-£1000 a pop! The man is awesome, and set up our band for some fun, as his corporate band had become too serious with the big bucks and he wanted to get back to doing easy going, fun pub gigs.

I'd text my drummer, he has had me in tears laughing, saying how he's now determined to get our old band on the road before they get their band on the road. He said he's come across some egos in 40 years of playing, but that this is the first time he's seen such a wide difference between talent and ego! LOL! I love my drummer I do!

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1359543166' post='1956255']
Start singing/screaming, plug your bass into an overdrive for the chorus, and you and your drummer can take off as a rocking two-piece!?
[/quote]

Shame I can't sing!!

This has been an interesting lesson though, as has shown me what I really love about my original band.... nice people, no egos, just a desire to sound good together!

Maybe get a gig (any gig!) for your original band regardless? There's nothing like a common purpose and having something to work towards. If you have a deadline it's surprising how just much work you can get done. I'd use the word 'motivation', but I'm not in middle-management. Or an arse.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359543635' post='1956265']
Maybe get a gig (any gig!) for your original band regardless? There's nothing like a common purpose and having something to work towards. If you have a deadline it's surprising how just much work you can get done. I'd use the word 'motivation', but I'm not in middle-management. Or an arse.
[/quote]

You are not an arse my dear friend!

We need stronger vocals though.... I'm going to try and butter up our singer that left :P

I swear if he came back we could be gigging in about 6 weeks!!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1359544319' post='1956278']
...I'm going to try and butter up our singer that left...
[size=4][/quote][/size]
Good idea! That'll get the crowds in, for sure. :D
Edit: By which I mean [i]literally [/i]buttering him up - for entertainment purposes.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1359543152' post='1956254']
Funny enough, I've just come off the phone from the lead guitarist!

I said that we had decided they weren't for us, and he basically said they were planning on looking for another bassist and drummer that was "nearer their skills so they could gig sooner".... LOL!!! It has in equal parts cracked me up (with their own delusions of talent) and pissed me off that he was such a patronising bastard!!! Gosh, my drummer has been playing semi-professionally for 40 years, he's played the Cavern club, he has another band where they do corporate gigs playing £800-£1000 a pop! The man is awesome, and set up our band for some fun, as his corporate band had become too serious with the big bucks and he wanted to get back to doing easy going, fun pub gigs.

I'd text my drummer, he has had me in tears laughing, saying how he's now determined to get our old band on the road before they get their band on the road. He said he's come across some egos in 40 years of playing, but that this is the first time he's seen such a wide difference between talent and ego! LOL! I love my drummer I do!
[/quote]

and even better: steal their keyboard player!!! :lol:

Well let's wish those egomaniacs every success in finding the frigthfully skilled players they are after. :rolleyes: I am sure they will get exactly the musos they deserve :yarr:

Whereas you and your band of genuine talents will be going from strength to stregth, just you see!

(Love mcnach's idea of nicking their keyboard player, BTW! :lol: :ph34r: )

Pull the ladder up & sod the rest. Move on, I've just spent a year rehearsing with a covers band amidst several line up changes & decided to quit after only doing one gig during that time. Dont know how I stuck it that long but I wasn't willing to waste more money and time on them.

Edited by WhoNeedsYou