Why become a member? ×

Problem with Jazz Pup seating

yepmop

Hi all

Hoping someone can help with a problem I have with the seating and adjustment of some new Jazz Pups.

I recently got some Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups to replace the standard ones in my MIM Jazz,

I've installed them and all works great apart from the seating of the actual pickups. I followed the Dimarzio instructions and cut the packing foam to the size required to fit under the Pups. No problem and I also replaced the original screws with the ones provided with the Pups.

There seems to be no upper pressure to make the pup move upwards to the screw endings and even if I unscrew the pups do not move (even pushing down on them)? also, as you can see in the picture the pup is also at an angle which I can't seem to rectify. It makes adjusting them impossible as they don't move.

I probably doing a real school boy error somewhere but can't quite seem to figure it out. I've attached a photo to see if it makes sense.

Any help advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

[url="http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn138/yepmop1898/Pup_zps784e1f99.jpg"]http://i303.photobuc...zps784e1f99.jpg[/url]

Check the seating of the wires underneath. This may cause the lopsidedness. Are the pickups tight in the holes? And yes stick some more packing underneath so there is pressure. a few mm's at a time so you can still adjust. Or get some springs instead.

A

I fitted one of these last night to my Precision and noticed that the foam in the box is much softer than what was underneath the pickup that I removed so I cut the foam twice as thick to compensate. There's plenty in the box to experiment getting the right amount under the pickup

Edited by Delberthot

Thanks guys adding some mouse mat to the sponge has worked a treat. The angle has partially corrected itself but I think I've sussed out why the neck pup is doing it, the pup is not dead centre in the cavity and is at a slight angle and I think it is sticking against the scratch plate as it's very tight, so at some point in the future (when OCD kicks in :) ) I'll reseat it correctly.

Thanks again

Tony

Edited by yepmop

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1357434653' post='1922735']
Thanks guys adding some mouse mat to the sponge has worked a treat. The angle has partially corrected itself but I think I've sussed out why the neck pup is doing it, the pup is not dead centre in the cavity and is at a slight angle and I think it is sticking against the scratch plate as it's very tight, so at some point in the future (when OCD kicks in :) ) I'll reseat it correctly.

Thanks again

Tony
[/quote]

Springs?

I had a Mex Jazz with the same problem - the pick ups were misaligned due to the holes being drilled in the wrong places, so it was impossible to adjust the pick ups because they caught on the scratch plate.
It was enough to put me off MIM Fenders - that and the awful electrics, 5 piece bodies and ridiculous price compared to far better quality Chinese instruments.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1357485790' post='1923245']
MIM Fenders - that and the awful electrics
[/quote]
I Got John (Kiogon) to replace the MIM pots and at it made a huge difference to the sound.

At some point in the near future I'll re-drill the neck pup location.

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1357488180' post='1923305']
I Got John (Kiogon) to replace the MIM pots and at it made a huge difference to the sound.

At some point in the near future I'll re-drill the neck pup location.
[/quote]

So did I and I agree - the pick ups are fine and John's wiring kit made a big difference.
It was a good bass after the work, but still not as good for me as a Squier CV, or even better the Farida Jazz I bought from Dawsons new for £149 delivered.