Why become a member? ×

BAREFACED 69er no. 4

bertbass

[center]69er No. 4[/center]

I had the pleasure of collecting 69er no. 4 from Alex and Harry just before Christmas and have used it on 4 gigs so far and what a cab!

[center]BAREFACED[/center]

I received an e-mail from Alex saying that my 69er was ready for collection so off I went to Brighton to collect it. Felt a bit like Shakin’ Stevens when I found out what was behind the (big) green door. A long walk to the factory, you need to be fit to work at Barefaced, that’s for sure. Harry lead the way, what a nice bloke and introduced me to Alex and my cab which was sitting on the bench naked. It was still awaiting the speakers. While Alex and Harry worked on the cab, we had a very enjoyable time chatting about things musical and non-musical and Alex gave me an idea of his ventures into P.A. cabs. Very interesting, keep your eyes on them as there may be a few surprises in store. My cab was finished so in the car with it and off home.

I’ve got to say that a nicer pair of chaps you’d be hard pressed to find. Alex and Harry truly are terrific and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them, thanks.

[center]THE CAB[/center]

Transferred the 69er to the van, the first time I’d carried it and it is incredibly light, a one hand lift and off to the first gig with no time to break it in.

I normally use a Carvin 8x10, never used an Ampeg but have used 2, 4x10s and about every speaker configuration you could think of from most manufacturers over the last 45 years, so the 69er was up against some stiff competition.

Our crew got to the new cab before me and was truly surprised by how light it is, in fact, he is so impressed that I haven’t carried it myself since, as he always insists on carrying it.

Put the Mywatt 200 on top of the cab and played a few notes. The guitarist said that it sounded the same as usual. Well, objective no. 1 achieved then, the sound of an 8x10 without the weight. I was a little concerned that being a foot shorter than an 8x10 I might not hear the 69er so well but no problem. I could hear every note, even standing right in front of it.

Over the 4 gigs I tweaked the sound and noticed a few things. The first being, that my G string has come back. It had been a bit lacking before but now all the strings are evenly balanced, in fact, more evenly balanced that ever before. No horn needed either, plenty of highs as it is. I’m impressed. Great comments from band and audience after the gigs as well.

The dispersion is also a lot better. I’d say that the 69er has the dispersion of BFM Jacks but with the depth of an 8x10 or ported 2x15. It’s great that the audience, and the rest of the band hear what I hear. Second objective achieved.

[center]CONCLUSION[/center]

I’d say that the 69er is the best cab that I’ve ever used and that the Barefaced description is only the tip of the iceberg. It does sound like a seriously light 8x10 with great dispersion and a great sound. The use of non-neo drivers is music to my ears as neos tend to be a bit middly for my taste although mids can be dialled in if wanted.

I think that there should be an 11[sup]th[/sup] commandment, or 614[sup]th[/sup] if you know about these things and that is, every bass player should at least try, if not own a Barefaced cabinet.

Thanks for this, Bert! Now of course, I want one. I'm using a BFM J12 for rehearsal and 2 X ABM 410Ts for gigs and the conclusion I've come to is that I need a second J12. ...Or a '69er... according to BF the '69er has five mid-range drivers and one full-range driver, is this in fact the case? What is the configuration of the drivers? Cheers. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358107469' post='1933307']
Thanks for this, Bert! Now of course, I want one. I'm using a BFM J12 for rehearsal and 2 X ABM 410Ts for gigs and the conclusion I've come to is that I need a second J12. ...Or a '69er... according to BF the '69er has five mid-range drivers and one full-range driver, is this in fact the case? What is the configuration of the drivers? Cheers. :)
[/quote]

It's a 6x10 the full range driver is in the top left, and is there for the highs, the rest have a crossover or something, so you get less of that frequency dips in the midrange, although I'm not sure.
If you email alex he will tell you more accurately.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1358161688' post='1933888']
It's a 6x10 the full range driver is in the top left, and is there for the highs, the rest have a crossover or something, so you get less of that frequency dips in the midrange, although I'm not sure. If you email alex he will tell you more accurately.[/quote]

Thanks for this, and thanks also to Mr Rock, who sent a PM with further information... i.e. the three drivers on the right are low frequency and as such produce non-directional sound... so it's only the column of three drivers on the left which have dispersion characteristics... very clever!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358165693' post='1933969']
Quite like the idea of this one, despite not liking the sound from previous Barefaced cabs tbh.[/quote]

According to Alex it's the only BF cab with deliberate colouration, i.e. an emulation of a sealed 8X10 (only better!) :)