Why become a member? ×

session musicians....

thunderider

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1356979026' post='1916056']
It does, but then is is surprising that we should be surprised about popular music being massively image conscious? I thought it was kind of obvious really!
[/quote]

Pop music has always been about looks. Maybe I should give it a go, as I'm fecking loverly. :blink:

Talking of weird TV miming gigs, here's one some friends of mine got hired for a few months back. Tom, playing bass here, is actually a guitar player who has borrowed the Ric just for the job. The guitarist and keyboard player are old bandmates of mine. I've no idea how they ended up doing this scene, but I'll ask them next time I see them...
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktIMq5iDs8A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktIMq5iDs8A[/url]

There was a female bassist on Top of The Pops on both Xmas Day, and last night. Played with Rita Ora I think on Xmas Day, and someone called Arissa(?) last night. She was using Precisions into an Orange stack. Did wonder if it was Eva Gardner, but she was with her regular gig with Pink on Graham Nortons show last night, using her Precision into her usual Ampeg fridge-stack.

yea i did clock the chick on bass and was quite impressed with her orange choice,then there was a a black dude with dreads i couldnt see waht his head was but looked like he got a 410,might been a hartke in a flight case,then there was another with an ashdown mag 300?....are ashdowns really anygood...as they well cheap secondhand??

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1357055690' post='1916854']
are ashdowns really anygood...as they well cheap secondhand??
[/quote]

going slightly off topic, imho they're not bad pretty reliable however they're not very versatile they do one particular sound (warm rock) well however if you dont like that sound then you wont think much of them they had them at tech for a while so i've played through pretty much the entire range and the only one i liked was the mark king signature

im sure the ashdown crew will be along shortly to tell me how wrong i am :D

Not every bass player uses the gear they do because they like it. There's many other factors such as; how good is the endorsement deal, how much does it cost, what does it look like, what is the studio/ festival/ venue using, does the artist have an endorsement, how accessible is the gear around the world at short notice? Judging gear by what other people use is nearly pointless.